Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want to stir up trouble, but...

I'm concerned...

The last couple of Quilty videos have bern disappointing... Not because of the content, but because Mary Fons seems to have developed an attitude...maybe things aren't going well for her... I don't know... But I don't like it... She has become a little condescending

I was looking at JRR quilts on Pinterest, and found this.... I'm sorry, but I thought Mary was simply rude.... You could tell that she thought this quilt was beneath herbecause she prefers to make blocks...and making blocks is better than seeing strips together...more creative... She was just snarky... Always emphasizing that all you were doing was seeing, sewing, sewing long strips together.... I'm not even sure she actually made the quilt top she displayed...because she was sewing the strips together wrong...

Sorry if I've upset anyone.., just had to rant a little... I've enjoyed do many Quilty videos, but I'm not happy with the attitude displayed in the last couple or so... Mary just doesn't look happy...

Here's the uTube link... Have I over reacted.., wouidn't be the first time...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9PTtGBF_4fg

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Re: I don't want to stir up trouble, but...

I would have to agree that her tone seems a bit condescending. Maybe she didn't mean to come across that way, bit I get that vibe from a lot of her videos. I guess I am spoiled to Jenny!

Comment

Hmmm, maybe it's an ingrained F&P "thang". Also maybe why the Quilty Magazine is no longer and followed by the store in Iowa!

Snarky begets snarky, I guess.
      Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
      http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

You stirrer, you!

I have never enjoyed any of her quilting videos. They seem very laboured to me - as though she thinks I wont be able to 'catch on'.

I guess we've been spoilt by Jenny's videos, which are often a hoot, as well as with being very informative.

Comment

I don't know that she was condescending, but wonder why she felt the need to do a tutorial for something she obviously didn't like. I think her disdain was showing through.
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

Agree with Karen. Why even do the tut....not to mention her method of sewing the strips together seem back asswards to me. I was taught to sew from the other end, and sew from top left to bottom right, and then she wouldn't have all of that to the right of her.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

I don't usually follow her. In the beginning, she seemed to be very nervous and quirky so I couldn't watch for any length of time. Then one day I saw that many were inquiring if she had passed away. Of course, she hadn't but I learned of her very serious and debilitating health issues that nearly took her life. She has suffered for years. Unfortunately, she must cope for the rest of her life.

I was also surprised to learn that she was very active in the Chicago Theater. Mary Fons | Chicago Theater Beat

She is actually quite a talented girl. After reading of all her devastating health issues and her spunk and determination to beat the odds, I was saddened to hear that her marriage broke up as well. That may have been the last straw for a lot of people, but she kept going. So even though I'm not a fan of the Quilty program, I feel much more compassion and understanding of her than I did when I first watched her.

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                I don't know that she was condescending, but wonder why she felt the need to do a tutorial for something she obviously didn't like. I think her disdain was showing through.
                I agree with this, too. I don't often watch her tutorials, but you should do something fun. There are so many other things for her to do that she enjoys. That's one of the reasons I like Jenny's and Robs tutorials, they have fun.
                One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Comment

I can't watch the video, so no comment on that. I do seem to remember hearing/reading that she was going to go back to her first love, writing, and wouldn't be involved with the quilting much anymore. Maybe she is burnt out and has to fulfill her obligations, but her heart is not in it? I agree if you don't love it - why do a tutorial?
                  Donna

Comment

I look at it like she gave her reasons why she does not care for the race quilt. She does have a quirky personality and that offends some. My youngest would leave the room anytime I was watching an Eleanor Burns video. He can't stand her voice. I happen to agree with her about some of her opinions about the race quilt. I also feel the need to press after sewing each seam.

If someone had never done a race quilt before and were thinking about it, watching her video might sway them one way or another. One of the things I really don't like about the race quilt is the cutting. When you are near to finishing, there are some pretty long cuts that you need to have nice and even.
                    Vonnie

Comment

To each their own....I though she brought out some important points....

I have watched many of Mary's videos ( I enjoy the ones with her Mom, Marianne)...I would prefer these over Rob Appell, Crafty Gemini (Vanessa), Ellenor Burns or Nancy Zieman. Mary is very technical and precise, and she's very detailed.

I also enjoy Kimberly Jolly and of course, Jenny Doan. Every quilting tutorial guru that puts a video out, doesn't always have to appeal to the masses.
                      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Yes, it was almost as if she were saying, "Well, if you REALLY want to do this quilt, which doesn't impress me at all, here are some tips for you." It seemed to me that she objected to the "race" the most. While she mentioned she thought there were many other things a novice quilter could do, she didn't mention what they were. So, if you were a novice, and seeing that video, you would have no clue as to what your other choices might be.

I thought a JRR quilt was a good enough beginning quilt that I taught it to a friend who wanted the experience of making a quilt. While it doesn't teach you how to cut or piece, you sure do get practice sewing a 1/4" seam! Not everyone has the time, or the inclination to cut and piece, but they still want to make a quilt. And sometimes we just want to be able to "whip up something" for a last minute gift. And it functions every bit as well as the most intricately pieced quilt.
                        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                          I quite agree, why bother.
                          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I have read in a previous thread that Missouri star has obliterated a bunch of competition and the internet is slowly killing off the local quilt shops because the are not implementing internet sales. I recall reading that block magazine was really hurting LQS business. Because Sons and Porter have been expensive and did not run good sales their business has been affected, hence their magazine not published anymore. Their long standing empire, which had the power of television, no longer has that. Once you become an elitist and have affluenza, you cannot connect with mainstream. She has had years of success, and it has become more lean. Incidentally the jrr is just copying someone elses pattern. She into longer a leader she is a follower and that might be hard for her to swallow.
                            Last edited by Deegles; December 26th, 2015, 06:07 AM.
                            Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

I've never watched her before and found her style distracting. My impression from that video was that she's tired of teaching and her heart isn't in it as a teacher. Also, and I hate to say it but I kept wondering if she was on something. I know that's not nice to say but it kept coming up for me as I was watching. Yes, I thought it came up as snarky.
                              https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                              Women are Angels.
                              When someone
                              break's our wings
                              we will continue to
                              fly...usually on a
                              broomstick.
                              We're flexible like that.
                              - embroitique

Comment

Working...
                              X