No announcement yet.

I don't want to stir up trouble, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I don't want to stir up trouble, but...

I
    Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
    I look at it like she gave her reasons why she does not care for the race quilt. She does have a quirky personality and that offends some. My youngest would leave the room anytime I was watching an Eleanor Burns video. He can't stand her voice. I happen to agree with her about some of her opinions about the race quilt. I also feel the need to press after sewing each seam.

If someone had never done a race quilt before and were thinking about it, watching her video might sway them one way or another. One of the things I really don't like about the race quilt is the cutting. When you are near to finishing, there are some pretty long cuts that you need to have nice and even.
    I learned from Margaret Leuwen to press after each pass... It takes longer, but I like the results.

As for the long cuts... I usually take the time to even them up.... A good thing for a newbie to learn to do.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Originally posted by shermur View Post
      Every quilting tutorial guru that puts a video out, doesn't always have to appeal to the masses.
      I totally agree. I'm not really fond of Rob.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

You know, if you don't like her, don't watch her. Problem solved. Unless, of course, you NEED something to beat on today.

Comment

Originally posted by Deegles View Post
          I have read in a previous thread that Missouri star has obliterated a bunch of competition and the internet is slowly killing off the local quilt shops because the are not implementing internet sales. I recall reading that block magazine was really hurting LQS business. Because Sons and Porter have been expensive and did not run good sales their business has been affected, hence their magazine not published anymore. Their long standing empire, which had the power of television, no longer has that. Once you become an elitist and have affluenza, you cannot connect with mainstream. She has had years of success, and it has become more lean. Incidentally the jrr is just copying someone elses pattern. She into longer a leader she is a follower and that might be hard for her to swallow.
          I think you have a valid point...

F&P has always been a takes...never giving back to their fans, as M* routinely does... Greediness is not attractive.

The genuineness of M* shines through everything they do.... We love Jenny, and her family...and their business... because we know they love us back.... They give so much to everyone..... To their Hamilton community, and to their customers and online followers... How could we not love them? How could we not be loyal to them? Jenny and company are responsible for bringing so many new quilters not the fold....and literally teaching old quilters wonderful new tricks... Jenny has taught us that we can do it...whatever "it" is...

The F&P "empire" is failing, because we quilters can discern between those out for the big bucks, and those who are out to better their world....and make a decent living along the any....

It didn't take me long to learn that...except for the Quilty show, nothing from the F&P stable was free.... Thothey

And... I found that guru or not.....I have known Marrianne to be wrong on occasion....

F&P are so behind the times... They tolerate pre cuts...never giving them the credit they deserve for bringing so many new quilters to the craft..... The emphasis is always on making complex blocks.....using traditional methods... Nothing wrong with traditional methods...we all use them now and then....but that mentality.....the elitism....is what is killing them.

It's sad to see.....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
            I've never watched her before and found her style distracting. My impression from that video was that she's tired of teaching and her heart isn't in it as a teacher. Also, and I hate to say it but I kept wondering if she was on something. I know that's not nice to say but it kept coming up for me as I was watching. Yes, I thought it came up as snarky.
            I think Maty wad just plain angry, and this was a way to vent that anger.... I'm really sorry if her life isn't going well, but she really shouldn't take her anger out on her audience.... I'm sure Jenny has bad days....who doesn't...but nie of that ever shows on her videos.... I've never, ever seen Jenny teach something she obviously didn't like... Her love if quilting, teaching, and her beloved precuts comes through loud and clear... She's nit fussy, but does encourage us to cut and sew the best we can...but bit to sweat the small stuff....

I agree... Mary Fonz is tired if teaching.... She may be tired of the whole quilting scene.... Who knows?

I doubt that Mary was on anything.... She's always been a little zany.... At first, she was really hard to watch...hair going every which way, weird gestures, etc... It was awful.... Then. Over time, she settled down...somewhat.....and got down to business... Good videos followed... Now things have changed again.... We have a condescending, angry Mary...

My hope is that Mary's life straightens out......that she can be happy again....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I never watch these videos, guess I didn't know about them. But, I clicked on the link and, not being familiar with her, I had two first impressions: She really didn't want to do this video and she was on "something". I felt like the narratives being inserted at times were almost "apologizing". To me, her body language and facial expressions were condescending. Just my personal feeling.
              A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

I guess I don't see or hear the same things most of you did. This video was made over a year ago. Not one I had seen before but I have always liked her quirkiness. I agree she doesn't like the jelly roll quilt but she may have not been the only person to decide she must do the tutorial. It is a very popular quilt and a year ago probably even more so. I know it was my first or second quilt.

I know she was with Jenny plugging her new fabric line a few weeks ago (I didn't care for it). I think mostly I was a little let down with all the gossip about her health issues, her marriage and her "elitist" behavior. Did we really need to go that far?

Comment

Originally posted by cv quilter View Post
                  I never watch these videos, guess I didn't know about them. But, I clicked on the link and, not being familiar with her, I had two first impressions: She really didn't want to do this video and she was on "something". I felt like the narratives being inserted at times were almost "apologizing". To me, her body language and facial expressions were condescending. Just my personal feeling.
                  That "something" could very well have been a necessary medication. But you go right ahead and judge, never mind the "thou shalt nots".

Comment

I also don't usually do videos, too slow for my purpose.

If you understood what the lady was speaking about and could use the technique, then the video was useful. Like someone said, it could be meds or something else upsetting. If you have a set time to do a video, you can't cancel unless it's a dire emergency.

The ones I can't stand (it was posted here a while ago) the instructor said UM about every other word. I think she knew her material, but should have scripted it. It isn't easy to ad lib unless you really feel comfortable.

Comment

I enjoy and learn from both Mary and Jenny . I like that they have different styles. It would be a dull world if everyone was the same.
                      Hope you all had a lovely Christmas. Feliz Ano Novo to all.
                      Last edited by Marta; December 26th, 2015, 09:18 AM.
                      "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                      Hillary Clinton

Comment

i love Mary Fons and as someone else said her quirkiness. i truly think she is an amazing person she has had many health issues, and while she has shared that information, she never seems to dwell on it. It certainly has never stopped her from what she loves. Personally, I did not see an issue with this video as others did She was offering some tips. It is okay with me she does not/like this style of quilt but I liked hearing the tips. Someone mentioned she was sewing wrong, and I thought there were no quilt police.

I am not a fan of some instructors out there, and I surely do not expect everyone to be a fan of all instructors either. So, I agree with Shirley, lets not judge. That said, I do feel you have a right to your opinion and I will respect you for that.

Lets remember this thread when someone says something about one of Jennys videos.
                        :icon_happy:Karen
                        Life is short - live it up while you can

Comment

Friends.... today is DECEMBER 27 and I'm disappointed and sad now. Possibly The Christmas Spirit was issued in finite amounts this year? And for some of us it is already used up? Why speculate whether someone is 'on something'? Isn't there room for everyone's style in the quilting world?

Comment

Lets remember this thread when someone says something about one of Jennys videos.
                            Oh, HA HA! You KNOW what a firestorm THAT would be!

Comment

I think that she sounded gracious doing a tutorial on something she obviously doesn't like doing for herself but because it's a popular thing to do, she wanted to give her viewers some tips in how to do one. I do not like the jelly roll races either and so I think she did a good job with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                                Friends.... today is DECEMBER 27 and I'm disappointed and sad now. Possibly The Christmas Spirit was issued in finite amounts this year? And for some of us it is already used up? Why speculate whether someone is 'on something'? Isn't there room for everyone's style in the quilting world?
                                I totally agree! I am new in the quilting universe and what I like most is that there seems to be a place for everyone. A year ago, as I was doing my first quilt I saw many quilty tutorials and learned a lot. Sure there are tutorials I don't like or I am not interested in. One can really ask if it is necessary to post a tutorial how to unpack a sewing machine....except to do promotion for baby lock. But nobody is forced to look ... and there wouldn't probably be any tutorials on YouTube without sponsorship.

I purchased two books of Mary Fons and I really love these patterns, I will definitely make some of them. She has a good mixture of traditional and modern styles and that is what I really love. Sometimes I have the feeling you have to decide on which side you want to be.
                                By the way I also love her fabric line ... This does not keep me from looking every Friday morning Jenny's new tutorial, because of the time difference I see them at 6:30 in the morning while I am eating my muesli...

So I wish everyone beautiful and blessed holidays!
                                Last edited by Auntie Uli; December 26th, 2015, 09:56 AM.
                                Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

Working...
                                X