Mid arm/Long arm machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid arm/Long arm machines

I have been thinking about getting a quilting machine for my home. I'm looking at the lower end money wise because, well it's for me and not to make money. This weekend I am going to a quilt show in Las Cruces, NM where I know there will be a couple of dealers showing their wares. Does anyone have any advise for me as to what to look for or watch out for? Does anyone have an idea of how much room you really need to have to set up a quilting machine and table? I'd love some input.

Re: Mid arm/Long arm machines

Ok... so I started out buying a Midarm machine. It was a Pfaff Grand Quilter with an Inspira frame. It was great for starters, had a 9" throat space to quilt and was a great jumping off point. I learn a whole lot from it and was happy with my start, but about a year and a half into it, I really started to recognize it's limitations. Basically I outgrew it. Midarms are great if you're quilting up to a lapsize quilt, but honestly no larger. There just isn't the space on the take up roller to fit a queen size quilt (or larger) and to be able to continue to quilt.

After 2 years I sold my midarm and lucked out buying a Gammill classic with a 12 foot frame on ebay. I fell in love the minute it was home and set up. This thing is great. It has a 21" throat space and a 12 foot table. I can quilt a king size quilt comfortably and really enjoy the features on my machine.

For a home machine that you are looking for I'd recommend that you test them out. See what they feel like, their abilities and bells and whistles. I'd recommend a stitch regulator, a table with a solid track for the carriage to run on (because ones that are pieced WILL jump... no matter what they tell you, it happens and it's frusterating). I'd probably recommend more of a freestanding frame rather than a table top frame and I highly recommend that you testdrive them. Click them on, feel how they quilt and move along the track when loaded with material. Don't be shy, try them out. That way you can feel like you made a really educated decision with your purchase.

I don' t know if that all helps, I hope it does.
    Good luck and remember to have fun! That's what it's all about!

Comment

Working...
    X