Quilty/Crafty Careers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quilty/Crafty Careers

I was going to address all of the comments individually, but a lot of you are thinking along the same lines so it's easier to make one kinda long post instead of either a bunch of little ones or one SUPER long one lol

I love the teaching idea, and once the hectic holiday season has passed, I'm going to contact the local stores (we only have three, so it's not like I can be picky lol) and see if they are interested in offering some classes. I certainly don't know it all, I feel like sewing and quilting is one of those things where you will always learn new things, no matter how many years you've been doing it. But I do know more than enough to teach some beginner and maybe even intermediate classes. I'll leave the advanced stuff up to the experts (for now ) Plus, the shop we just lost used to offer classes usually once every couple of months, so I'm not sure where those students are going now but I'm sure they would love to have new classes to attend now that their local shop has switched to online sales only. I also think there may be a quilter's guild around here somewhere, so I'm going to keep an ear out for that and see what I can find.

As for making things, I haven't ruled it out, but it does require money up front to create the inventory, and then you have to hope that trends or whatever don't change in the meantime or you're left with a bunch of inventory that won't move. So I haven't ruled it out, but I will need to think a little more about what would be viable to sell (certainly NOT quilts!) and how I would go about it (Etsy, ebay, local shops, etc). So that's on the back burner for now.

I know it's going to take a while to build myself to a point where it would be sustainable work, but I'm willing to put in the time and effort. My plan is to put on my thinking cap and create some patterns, create an online presence somewhere so I can promote and sell said patterns, and then teach locally (and maybe even travel to teach once people realize how awesome I am ) I'm a ham, anyone who's been around here since 2012 or so knows that lol I love public speaking, and I love helping others. I used to tutor when I was in high school and loved it, because that moment of "eureka!" when a student is struggling but then finally sees the light is just beautiful and warms my heart.

So basically, you all are awesome, and I want to thank each and every one of you for helping me brainstorm and realize that I'm not so crazy after all. Group hug!! lol
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Comment

Working...
    X