Fabric Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric Quality

Question about the quality of fabric...so, I know when you buy a higher thread count sheet set the fabric is much softer...is there a difference in fabric at Quilt Shops? and if so, how do I know which is the better,softer stuff? I would want to use the softest when making a pillow case (and not use flannel).

Re: Fabric Quality

I have found there can be a difference between fabrics from the same manufacturer. Some are quite soft yet others in the same line feel stiff. difference in the sizing or specs for manufacture??
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

There can definitely be a difference in the quality if fabrics....even in a "good" quilt shop.

I think most quilters love to fondle fabrics... We test for softness, how it drapes, whether or not there is a blaze on the fabric, thinness, rev..... It takes a little experience, but it doesn't take long to learn how a good fabric should look and feel.....

Good fabric feels luxurious.... Soft, strong, heave...and you can't see through it... You'll know.

Learning to choose good fabric is a lot like learning to make a really good bread dough.... Great dough, and great fabric have a lot in common....they Evoke some of the same feelings and emotions.....and they both give us great pleasure...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

When you're talking high quality quilting fabric, there is not a tremendous difference in quality. Moda, RJR, etc., all the big names like that. Not to say there aren't noticeable differences between major brands, but not so far as any being inferior. It's hard to tell until they're washed, because some manufacturers seem to add more finishing chemicals so their fabric feels stiffer and thicker, while others are quite soft and breezy right off the bolt - and they might feel the same as each other after you wash them. I'd suggest buying and washing some fat quarters from different brands if you're that particular about the softness for the pillow, however it's probably not necessary as they'd likely feel very similar.

This is one thing I've used M* Daily Deals for - to get samples of different brands. If I order yardage to go with one I try yet another brand.

I'm finding that my favorites are manufactured in Japan, they seem to be of much higher quality. RJR is currently my favorite for solid yardage (they also make Cotton + Steele, which I've yet to try). Some of the company websites have info about their manufacturing, that can be helpful if you're interested in that sort of detail.

Comment

Working...
        X