Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K. McEuen
    replied
    Re: Batik quilt not warm and friendly...

Quilters flannel is higher quality stuff, not snuggle flannel from Joann's. It doesn't pull up and look old after the first time you wash it. Quilt shops sell it.

Leave a comment:

• oldmanquilts
    replied

I think that when "quilters flannel" is mentioned the reference is to wide material suitable for a one piece back. Otherwise it's just regular ol' shirting or pajama material. There are different weights- single or double brushed, in many patterns and widths. I love flannel, both for front and back. I get wide backs here...

https://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabr...el-fabric.aspx

Leave a comment:

• bec
    replied

Originally posted by Carolnnc View Post
    I decided to use Aurifil thread on my last quilt. I have washed it multiple times and it is still stiff. I believe the problem is two fold, the thread and dense quilting. I will be gifting that quilt to my neighbor who thinks it is beautiful. I backed the first three quilts I made with 100% cotton and found they weren't warm and comforting like I thought they should be. I have since backed all my quilts in quilters flannel. The one batik quilt I made went to a dorm room and is grabbed to be snuggled under by whoever comes thru the door. All the females who come into my house during the winter take a quilt off the pile in a chair, toss the quilt in the dryer and heat it up. My DH comes home for lunch and he heats a quilt so he can warm up from being in the meat department at the grocery store. To me a flannel backed quilt is warm and soft like a hug.
    I’ve not heard of quilters flannel. Is that different from regular 45” flannel you buy for pajamas, etc.? If it’s different, where can I buy it?
    Last edited by bec; October 13th, 2018, 07:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chaitea4me
    replied

I’d love to see a photo of your batik quilt. I’m going to start a batik with solid black zipper quilt soon.

Leave a comment:

• briezee
    replied

My very first quilt was a triple panel jelly roll quilt (to make it queen size). The top was cotton, the backing was batik. When I backed it, I had no idea of the difference between the two. It was stiff after the initial quilting (sent to a local long armer) and my first washing of it. After another two washings it softened quite a bit and is quite cuddly now. I wouldn't hesitate to make another quilt with a batik backing.

Leave a comment:

• cv quilter
    replied

I just recently made a batik quilt...and had the very same question/quandary. I wondered if backing it in batik would give me a soft/cuddly feel. The quilt was for a 90 year old dear friend. After giving it a lot of thought,, I opted to do the backing in flannel. The quilt was soft and cuddly. Not just that, but the quilt when washed was crinkly and comfy looking just like I wanted it to be. I will always do a batik quilt top backed in either flannel or regular cotton. Maybe just my opinion, but I was happy with my decision.

Leave a comment:

• chaitea4me
    replied

I'm guessing batiks base cotton prior to dyeing is more finely woven because the fabric does have a more starched feel than the rest of my cotton fabrics. They are gorgeous, and I do mix them with my other cottons. I prewash ALL my fabrics prior to sewing to shrink them down (just in case), and in case they bleed, as strong colors or batiks sometimes do. I choose the batiks because they are so vibrant and I love the look of "watercolor", but am guessing that your quilt might soften with a washing or two, or you might have quilted it so close together that it seems more flat. Good luck finding your solution, I'm sure your batik quilts are gorgeous, and if that is the recipient's only complaint, then I'd tell them to use it folded at the end of the bed or as a top "bedspread" rather than using it to sleep with expecting it to be cuddly.

Leave a comment:

• chaitea4me
    replied

I'm guessing batiks base cotton prior to dyeing is more finely woven because the fabric does have a more starched feel than the rest of my cotton fabrics. They are gorgeous, and I do mix them with my other cottons. I prewash ALL my fabrics prior to sewing to shrink them down (just in case), and in case they bleed, as strong colors or batiks sometimes do. I choose the batiks because they are so vibrant and I love the look of "watercolor", but am guessing that your quilt might soften with a washing or two, or you might have quilted it so close together that it seems more flat. Good luck finding your solution, I'm sure your batik quilts are gorgeous, and if that is the recipient's only complaint, then I'd tell them to use it folded at the end of the bed or as a top "bedspread" rather than using it to sleep with expecting it to be cuddly.

I use Warm and Natural as my batting, and live in Southern California, so the temps never get real cold, but I use my quilts as summer quilts, rather than warm quilts. If I want WARM, I break out my down comforter.
    Last edited by chaitea4me; March 5th, 2018, 07:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Liz Taylor
    replied

Thanks to all that responded to my thread. I was away for a few days and didn't see your responses. I have purchased very good quality batiks, mostly at MSQC. One of the patterns was the Binding Tool star patterned posted on Jenny's tutorials. I just made it bigger to fit a queen bed. I also used a jelly roll to make a throw for our living room. In both cases I used a batik for the backing. I love the quilts, just am looking for that "wrap up" feeling.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarGramma
    replied

Just a little different thought as you mention you're a new quilter. A mistake that I made in the beginning was to compare a quilt with a comforter. I couldn't believe how thin quilt batting was; I expected to see a two inch loft. I had to learn that a comforter was filled with thick polyester, but a quilt got its warmth from the pockets created by the quilting process. I've learned to love quilts for what they are, and not expect them to be otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Alpha O
    replied

I've also made a quilt from mostly batiks - I had one cotton in the mix. It was one of the QAYG patterns sold and most of the quilting was 1 inch apart. It also is not stiff.

There has to be another solution for backing rather than flannel or minky for those who hate the feel of both. The old robe velour would have worked, how about lightweight stretch velour?

Leave a comment:

• Preeti
    replied

If you want it soft and warm, use a flannel backing.
    If you want it SUPER soft and snuggly, use minky backing.

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

welcome!

You've already been given good suggestions... I would only ask if you are using a fabric softener... Using one will help soften up the quilt.

Could we see a picture of the quilt?

Once again...welcome...

Leave a comment:

• Leslie333
    replied

I'm a batik girl and often make and entire quilt from batiks. I made one for my son 2 years ago and it it very soft, but it's probably been washed 4 times by now. Conversely, I make a quilt for my mom out of quilter's cotton (no batiks) and quilted it at a medium density and it seems a bit stiff - same Quilter's Dream Select cotton in both. I think it can be a combination of fabrics and quilting density that can make a quilt more stiff.

Leave a comment:

• RosieMS
    replied

IMG_20151023_183214_burst_02_kindlephoto-13252178.jpg
    I made this quilt for my grandson, I used a soft cotton back and 80/20 batting, large swirl quilt pattern. He loves it, and since washed very soft. It was not yet bound in the pic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X