Batik quilt not warm and friendly...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batik quilt not warm and friendly...

I am a new quilter and I love the batik fabrics. I have made 3 quilts this year using batiks. However, the quilts don't really keep you warm and don't seem to be inviting anyone to snuggle. I used Warm and Natural batting and have washed and dried the quilt, but it just doesn't have that good quilt feeling. Has this happened to anyone else? And what can I do?

Re: Batik quilt not warm and friendly...

Are you using it front and back? I would do only the top in batik. But you will get more answers.

Welcome to the forum!
    Lorie
    🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

Most of the batiks I have seen are rather stiff. I don't know if they soften up with repeated washings, but probably someone on here knows. In the mean time, why don't you try regular quilter's cotton for your next quilt. Maybe if you used soft, old fashioned colors and patterns, it would be even more visually soft and cuddly looking. Or even flannels...

Comment

Can you share pictures? I think your cold people are wide awake. I don't think its the batik that is doing it. There just not tired.

Comment

Where did you purchase the batiks? I am finishing a batik quilt, and even before washing, it is soft enough to be cuddly. That is why I am questioning the source of the material. Otherwise, I would suggest a few more washings to see if that softens up the quilt.
          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I think Liz has raised a point, though, that some fabrics just evoke different feelings. Some of the beautiful colorful batiks make gorgeous quilts and wall hangings, and bedspreads, but maybe not "comforters" perhaps. It's the difference between wearing flannel pajamas or dress slacks.

Comment

I love Quilters Dream 100% cotton batting. It comes in several lofts, I prefer the middle. Maybe a heavier batting?
              Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
              ― Maya Angelou

Comment

I have never cared for batiks in quilts. They are pretty in placemats and such..........

Comment

Would how densely you are quilting the fabric have something to do with it not being as cuddly? Maybe if you spaced the quilting pattern out more would that help. I really don't know but maybe someone here knows that?
                  https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                  Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I don't think it's the batiks, but maybe the design?. I have seen "modern " quilts that are awesome but don't have that wrap myself inin it feel. Gr for a bed but not for hot chocolate and a movie. JMO.
                    Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

I do agree that batiks have a stiffer feel to them (maybe the wax process??) - and I can see where an entire quilt back in batiks would not feel 'cozy'...
                      I agree with Lorie - I would only do the top in batiks, maybe the back in something that has the look of a batik, but is not.

Comment

Some of it depends on the fabric. Some batiks seem to have a lot more residual wax in the than others. I have made quite a few quilts, some all batik, some a mix. Some just batik on the front, others with batik on the back. Mine have softened up after several washings. I like Hobbs 80/20 better than the Warm and Natural. It seems softer and drapes better.

Comment

I decided to use Aurifil thread on my last quilt. I have washed it multiple times and it is still stiff. I believe the problem is two fold, the thread and dense quilting. I will be gifting that quilt to my neighbor who thinks it is beautiful. I backed the first three quilts I made with 100% cotton and found they weren't warm and comforting like I thought they should be. I have since backed all my quilts in quilters flannel. The one batik quilt I made went to a dorm room and is grabbed to be snuggled under by whoever comes thru the door. All the females who come into my house during the winter take a quilt off the pile in a chair, toss the quilt in the dryer and heat it up. My DH comes home for lunch and he heats a quilt so he can warm up from being in the meat department at the grocery store. To me a flannel backed quilt is warm and soft like a hug.
                          :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

I think batiks are woven tighter than quilters' cotton. They are also more difficult to hand quilt.
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

You also might try Hobbs 80/20 batting the next time. It probably won't be as stiff.

Comment

Working...
                              X