Are you a tidy quilter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you a tidy quilter?

Well... I was watching one of the most recent Quilty videos, featuring both Mary and her mom, Marrianne... Mom was giving some advice to new quilters.... One of her tips was to be tidy, in your sewing space... The teo if them.....who are sky's fun to watch when they are together....sort of congratulated themselves on keeping a tidy quilting studio...

I looked around, and realuzed...not for the first time, of course......that I am definitely NOT a tidy Quiltet.... Oh, I have one if those cute little thread catchers...but it seldom even sees a thread... Yep... Threads, as well as dig ears, snips from diagonal joins of binding strips, etc.... It was all on the floor....plus scraps from cutting border strips.

Tidy? Uh....that would be a no.... I try, from time to time, but my resolve never lasts.... rulers, fabrics, baskets of four patches..... It all seems to creep out...not long after I put it all away... It's those little quilting gremlins agsin..... It surely isn't me... No way....

How about your guys? Are you tidy Quiltes? Or, do you love seeing all that stuff out? Or.....does it sort of just happen?

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Re: Are you a tidy quilter?

I am an in between. I get rather messy while I am working. But when done for the day, I have to clean it up. My little kitty would find whatever I leave behind. Now with that said, I leave things out. Like a quilt on the machine that I am quilting. Stuff on the cutting table in the works, nice and neat of course. My worse though is thing pinned to my design wall. I will have something in my hand and need to put it down, no where to do that, so I grab a pin off the wall and pin it up. Lol
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I'm like Karen, messy when I'm working but clean up at the end of the day or the next morning. I have a power vac handy and that takes care of the pieces and threads on the floor very nicely and is easy to use. I take all of that periodically while I'm working and push that under the table while I'm working. I do tend to realign my ruler, pin bowl, cutter etc before I get started. The extra chair in the room is a mess though because it takes a few days or week before I refold any fabrics. :-)
      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I'm a procrastinator when it comes to cleaning up when I'm working on a quilt. It's easier to wait until I'm done! Then I clean it all up before I start something else.
        Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I'm not that neat of a quilter. It just seems to acquire a life and go from there. LOL

Comment

Tidy.......lol, I wish, I try.........not so much, I get to into the getting it done ,then clean up my mess Cause I usually have more of one than not😱.

....Bee
            The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡sigpic
            ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Comment

Nope. Not at all. I make creative messes.
              Donna

Comment

I try to keep all the scraps picked up and placed in the trash as I am cutting and I always clean up the cutting table once I finish a project before starting the next. My main problem is I need a room 2x as big as the one I have, which is about 12' x 11'.
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I try. I just cleaned and organized everything, cleared the decks, laid out yardage to cut ...and suddenly there was stuff all over. I'm really perplexed, lol!

I'm aiming to be a minimalist, that goes for projects in the works as well. If I have more than one or two not safely tucked away in a box, I'm in trouble. I'd prefer to have just one project and its accoutrements floating about, it's much easier to keep tidy. I feel fresher and more creative without a mess weighing me down and telling me I should tidy up. Like with cooking, it is easier for me to clean up as I go instead of the next day.

My little buddy, Thread Bear, sits on my desk and collects little bits for the birds. A few years after he joined my crew I realized he was actually a chipmunk ...an old decorative glass Skippy peanut butter jar. He's quite cute when filled with colorful bits, it really keeps me tossing them in. And you know how Rachael Ray has her garbage bowl? I have a giant mug/bowl that I toss bits of garbage into and empty when I feel like it, I keep a little plush mouse on top as sort of a lid to hide the garbage. Things like that really help me.

Comment

I try to be tidy, but when I start looking for fabric I can't find, the bins come out, then I find something else I wasn't looking for and that comes out. Little piles around the room. Since my parlor/front room is also my quilting studio, I have to keep it kinda acceptable for company, which usually means tearing around the room and putting it all neat before they come.

One system I have is a large plastic trash can 14 x 10", 15" high that sits just under the lip of my cutting table. While I am cutting pieces, squaring blocks, and trimming after quilting, I just slide the pieces off the table and they fall right into the trash can, except if there is a breeze blowing into the room they hit the floor instead. So I just pick up and put in the can.

The other thing I tried successfully for awhile was having a brown paper bag also near and under the cutting table that when I had pieces left, or didn't want anymore I dropped them in the paper bag, and they went to the guild meeting free table, or to the thrift store. Once they went in the bag you couldn't retrieve them.

I try to sweep up almost every day and I have a lot of dust and fibers that I think are from the batting. When the five great grandkids (12, 10, 8, 5 and newborn) come over, everything gets put out of the way and in the bins/drawers/closet.

When I visit non quilter's home they always look nice, then I come in my door and look around and you'd thin a tornado went through the room. TIME TO

Comment

My room is a total disaster area while I quilt. It stays that way until I'm completely finished with the quilt I'm working on, because I know exactly where everything is in that disaster. Once the binding is on the quilt I clean my room, dust, sweep the floors, dust out my machine, re-wind bobbins, and empty the trash in preparation for the next disaster.

I learned long ago to NEVER throw out the trash in my sewing room until I'm done with my current quilt. That one little piece of fabric that you threw away is the one you're gonna need!!
                      Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

Gave me a chuckle this morning. I woke up saying to myself "I need to put things away so I can add my add-a -table" so I can fmq my table runner" Table won't fit, no room. I am so glad I am not alone.

Comment

I'm not over the top tidy, but I found if I keep rulers, cutter, etc. organized while I'm working life is much easier. Hanging my rulers on the wall with 3M command strips keeps them handy and visible. When I start planning and selecting fabric that's when it's a disaster - fabric pieces all over! Often threads and fabric snips are on the floor (I aim for the trash but my aim is really off). Guess what I'm saying is I'm not particularly "tidy", more like organized - have found that I spend much less time looking for things and getting frustrated. But like others, I have to clean up before I start another project.

Comment

I am not alone! My room is a mess while I am working on a project. I try to tidy up between stages/cutting, piecing, quilting and binding. But nothing leaves the room until the binding is completed. A friend sent me this post from 1949 hope you enjoy;
                            Sewing Post.jpg
                            Originally posted by cindirae View Post
                            My room is a total disaster area while I quilt. It stays that way until I'm completely finished with the quilt I'm working on, because I know exactly where everything is in that disaster. Once the binding is on the quilt I clean my room, dust, sweep the floors, dust out my machine, re-wind bobbins, and empty the trash in preparation for the next disaster.

I learned long ago to NEVER throw out the trash in my sewing room until I'm done with my current quilt. That one little piece of fabric that you threw away is the one you're gonna need!!

Comment

I simply don't worry about it. I clean up when I need to.

Comment

Working...
                              X