Bobbin thread marathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobbin thread marathon

Why hasn't someone invented a bobbin that you can clip the loose end into the top like you do with some of the sewing thread spools?? Or am I missing something. The bobbin loose ends seem to have a mind of their own which is generally toward a spot at the other end of the room. I can't imagine that even the bobbin holder disks stop that thread from attempting the 25 mile marathon. Or am I not functioning on all cylinders?
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Re: Bobbin thread marathon

My old Touch and Sew bobbins do that. There's a little slit in the top.

Comment

Because customers don't demand better innovations? In the same vein, why are sewing machines - especially those calling themselves quilting models - still using tiny capacity bobbins? It's a major pain. Especially when quilting.

Comment

Shirley you know in the back of my mind I did think there use to me one of those hitches at the top of bobbins long ago so I thought my memory wasn't serving me right. I'm glad it's not just me LOL

Midge, absolutely I agree!
        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I remembered because I'm still using mine.

Comment

LOL well it has staying power!

Comment

I am tired, although it isn't too late, but I don't understand your question. Can you ask it in another way?
              If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I put my bobbins in foam toe separators that I get at the dollar store. They are the ones that people use after a pedicure, it keeps them from unraveling.

Comment

Sylvia, I generally toss my embroidery bobbin in a bag with my embroidery stuff when not in use. Naturally since they are round they tend to start unraveling which makes a real mess so then I have to hand wind the loose thread back on the bobbins. Same goes for extra colored bobbins when not in use for straight stitching. I thought of putting scotch tape in it so they don't unravel but somehow I think that might not work either. You know how when you get a regular spool of thread you usually have to get the end of it out of the slit they put at the top of the spool? Well I was thinking why can't bobbins have a little slit at the top so that when we take the bobbin out we can slip the end of the thread back up in it so it won't unravel :-) Shirley was saying that one of her machines did have bobbins that had that and I was thinking that way back when I recall that too so I don't know why it's still not being manufacturered that way since it really was handy.

Michelle just mentioned another method that might come in very handy too :-)

Comment

I used to have a machine that you could wrap the thread into a little spot. It was like one side of the bobbin had two sides and the thread slid between it.
                    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I wish we didn't have to use bobbins at all and could load a spool on the bottom like we do for the top thread.

I got some clear tubing, cut them into slices and then cut a slit into each slice. I slip one of these bobbin mates onto the bobbin and the thread stays put and I can see through the tubing and see the color of the bobbin. Do a search on Google for Bobbin mates tutorial and see what I did. It's awesome.

Comment

Hi there - good question. I've used the pedicure separators as well. One thing I do use when I am throwing mine in my bag to travel is something I read online about several years ago. Go to the $$ store and purchase some small pony tail holders that are used for little ones. Fits bobbins pretty durn well.

The little tubing thing mentioned above works too. Hoping you find the groove that fits you, sweetie!

Sewing mends the soul.
                        sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                        Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                        ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I use those little baby ponytail wraps on mine. Love them!
                          image.jpg
                          Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

I agree with you!!! I just Unraveled 3 bobbins I had stacked on a spindle next to my machine... I think the cat had a little fun with them since nothing else got close or could have made such a mess.
                            Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                            :icon_wave:

Comment

I use little (smallest I can find) hair elastic so - you know the kind you hold a ponytail with. Th smallest I could find needs to be wound around each bobbin twice. I then stick them in my bag to take to embroidery class or just on the spool holder in the plastic case where I keep my embroidery thread. They work great!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X