Martelli Rotary Cutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martelli Rotary Cutters

I am looking for a new rotary cutter and I understand Martelli is having a sale soon. Has anyone used their cutters and do you like them? Thanks!

Re: Martelli Rotary Cutters

I am interested to see the response. I have a tendency to kill the Olfa's and Dritz on a regular basis.
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I have one but haven't used it yet. Still using my Fiskars. I know Pat (bubba) has used her Martelli cutter and liked it, so maybe she will stop in and comment more.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

I thought Sandy also mentioned having one.

Comment

i have one (i'm right handed) and I find it took me a bit of getting used to so that I use it correctly. But once I did that, i like it better than my other cutters (all olfa). And they come in left and right handed versions so if you get one make sure you get the one that is correct for you.

Comment

I really like mine. The angle is better for my wrist than the straight ones.
            :icon_rolleyes:There are 3 kinds of men
            The one who learns by reading
            The few who learn by observation
            The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves
            Will Rogers
            :icon_shake:

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. Harry S Truman
            :icon_shake:

Imperfect action is better than perfect inaction.
            :icon_giggle:

Comment

I have the left handed one and love it!!! I recently bought Kai rotary cutters and love them too!
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I have 2 of them, one is over 10 years old. Both right handed. I tend to misplace things, that's why two.

They just work comfortably and Martelli stands behind what they sell.

Comment

I recently purchased one and absolutely hate it.

But that is only because there is a learning curve involved in using the stupid cutter.
                  I didn't know about the unique way you need to hold the cutter so my cutter never worked; kept skipping and I ended up just using my old Fiskars which never skipped.

I was so angry about spending so much money on the Martelli and getting such poor service out of it that I called the company. They were very polite on the phone and knew exactly what my problem was. Of course, they hear complaints like mine millions of times because, as it turns out, they have an entire webpage devoted to the "proper" use of their cutter. Ugh!

So I asked them to please send me a new blade since the one I had was apparently damaged due to my not using it "properly," so they did. They also sent me a new "bolt" since they said the old one was probably damaged as well.

Whenever I use that Martelli cutter, I watch (and re-watch) their video to use the cutter property, but I still find it awkward to use, so I usually grab my Fiskars whenever I'm in a hurry.

But since I spent so much darned money on the blasted Martelli cutter, I have made it my mission in 2016 to learn how to "properly" use the stupid thing just so I can get my money's worth!

At least I never bought that rotating mat that wobbles and moves every time you try to cut on it. LOL!
                  Last edited by Sheep Farmer; November 16, 2015, 05:33 PM.

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                  The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Love my fiskars cutter. It is ergonimically comfortable too. I do NOT like the stick cutters, regardless of the brand.
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

No but I have grip issues with my hands and want to try one. I've seen them very cheap on Amazon from time to time but haven't checked Martelli's sale price.

I recently got the Clover 45mm and its ended up being my favorite so far. My favorite before that was the ergonomic Olfa, which I still like but the Clover turned out to work better for my hand.

Are the Martelli blades easy to change? They look a little fiddly, but I don't know. I'm liking the Clover blades that are covered until they're installed.

Comment

I bought the 45mm right handed cutter. I used one at a show and it cut like a dream. Unfortunately mine has too much "drag". I can't figure out why it doesn't operate as smoothly. I should give the company a call. I would love to find one that is easier on my wrists.

Comment

I have one and the mat too. I really like it - it didn't take long to figure it out for me - that seemed the natural way to use it.
                          Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

I have their rotating mat and it never wobbles....I love that thing!
                            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I've had mine all of a couple weeks. I agree its clumsy at first. I cut out a quilt one morning and realized my shoulder didn't hurt like it usually does after standing and cutting that long. I like the 60mm blade vs the 45's in the Olfa and Fiskars. I've killed my fair share of those also. Can't speak for the longevity (obviously) but it seems well built, easy to change the blade, etc. Ordered mine through Massdrop. I'm waiting on their 50% off sale to start on the 19th to order a mat. Mine is shot and missed the last sale. I've seen so many of the mats showing up in shops. The cutting girls all claim they are the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X