"Finished is better than perfect."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Finished is better than perfect."

I liked Jenny's comments in the latest issue of BLOCK: "A project doesn't have to be flawless to be fabulous. Everything takes time and practice. Be proud of your journey, and remember, finished is better than perfect." (page 4 - under "Hello from MSQC").

I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist & want all the seams to match up, no wrinkles, FMQ good, etc. I think if we all took Jenny's advice to heart, we wouldn't be so hard on ourselves. A charity quilt or a baby quilt to a child is going to be loved & used whether it's perfect or not. I do not make quilts for competition or to sell. Most of mine are gifts. Let's just enjoy the journey.

Re: "Finished is better than perfect."

I think you are so right. I keep waiting to quilt all my tops because I want to do free motion. But as I sit here at my moms with nothing to do, I could be doing my quilts just with straight lines. So when I get back home they are getting sandwiched and done. I can do fmq on all the other quilts I will be making. Get them done. My Juki will breeze right thru them. And it will feel great.
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I used to be the kind of quilter that ripped out and sewed over and over and OVER again. Always aiming for perfection. And that isn't going to happen anyway. Now I prefer to enjoy the process. Sure I'll take something apart if it is something that bothers me but most times I don't and in the end when the quilt is finished don't even notice what it was.

Comment

Let's just enjoy the journey.
        That has always been my mantra. Otherwise, why bother?

Comment

Amen! My quilts all turn out pretty good, far from perfect, but I am ok with that.

Comment

I try and keep in mind that this is supposed to be fun. If it isnt fun, why am I doing it?

I used to be really scrupulous about FMQ and would rip things out or not even try, because everything needed to be perfect. Honestly, it's just a form of false pride. I can an should try my best, but my best is not perfection. Now I rarely rip anything out, I just try harder the next time. I have found projects, on the whole, much more satisfying.

I also try very hard to curb my tendency to look at one of my quilts and make a litany of all the mistakes. Why do we do that? It's a terrible habit. From now on I look at my quilts, list what I like, what I might do differently, and be grateful I had the time, talent, and money to put the whole thing together.

Comment

Oh my - YES! That is my motto too.
              I made one of my sisters a huge 4 Patch Posey and I ran out of a certain yellow for the sashing. So I grabbed another yellow - close- but it was noticeable. I entered it in the county fair and to my surprise I won a ribbon on it. It was either a first or second place. I thought for sure they would not give it anything with the two different sashings. So, if you can't see it on a galloping horse, I go with it. If I can see it that far away then I fix it.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
              http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
              http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I always say the love I put into them are far greater than the imperfections.
                Beth

Comment

I wonder if I would have come to quilting much sooner if this type of thinking was more prevalent sooner. I used to be fascinated by PBS quilting shows, magazines, etc. but it all seemed so ...intense.

I am so hooked on Angela Walters way of thinking right now. I was very good at FMQ of it was basic and curvy of some sort, but she freed me up and I'm practicing things I failed at before and they're turning out so well since I'm no longer trying for perfection.

I saw a YouTube video from Victoria Findlay Wolfe where she talked about starting out in art. Everything she painted was sad; when she tried quilting, she found she could only produce joy. That really struck me! I don't want to quilt if it brings frustration or anything negative. Quilting is love.

Comment

My Dad was a perfectionist to a fault. He would not finish a project rather than not make it perfect. Unfortunately, I inherited some of that. I let small imperfections slow me down or just plain stop me, no matter how many times I tell myself that no one else will notice or "done is better than perfect". Even when I finish a project - it takes me far too long because I get hung up on the details.
                    Donna

Comment

Hey Donna - you know that song "Let It Go" from Frozen? That should be our new quilting song and see where it takes us! lol!

My it-picky in me happens when I do yard work. Thanks to my Dad, 'if you are going to do it right, you finish the job". Like these pesky leaves that are out there right now to be cleaned up. We start when they start falling in October. We don't finish until the end of November. We live in the woods but do have a nice huge yard. When we go out there today, DH and I will attend to them until every last one is off the grassy areas. Cutting the grass and weeding? Oh goodness, we go until we can't anymore, sometimes even into the dark hours. I can remember that I started cutting the grass when I was 12 and hear my mom coming outside with a flashlight to say to me "it's time to come in, how can you even see what you are doing?", as it had turned dark. I'd ask her to turn off the flashlight cause my eyes had adjusted. I tell my DH and Dad these days the good Lord knew what he was doing when he created light and dark. It gets dark to tell us to quit for the day! lol!
                      Last edited by quiltingtrish; November 7, 2015, 04:50 AM.

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Originally posted by quiltingtrish View Post
                        Hey Donna - you know that song "Let It Go" from Frozen? That should be our new quilting song and see where it takes us! lol!

My it-picky in me happens when I do yard work. Thanks to my Dad, 'if you are going to do it right, you finish the job". Like these pesky leaves that are out there right now to be cleaned up. We start when they start falling in October. We don't finish until the end of November. We live in the woods but do have a nice huge yard. When we go out there today, DH and I will attend to them until every last one is off the grassy areas. Cutting the grass and weeding? Oh goodness, we go until we can't anymore, sometimes even into the dark hours. I can remember that I started cutting the grass when I was 12 and hear my mom coming outside with a flashlight to say to me "it's time to come in, how can you even see what you are doing?", as it had turned dark. I'd ask her to turn off the flashlight cause my eyes had adjusted. I tell my DH and Dad these days the good Lord knew what he was doing when he created light and dark. It gets dark to tell us to quit for the day! lol!
                        The sad thing is, it is only my creative side that is a perfectionist. Housework, yard work, etc, I can very easily "Let it go" - in fact, too easily. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE for my housework to be done, and the yard to look nice (I pay someone to work in my yard), but it doesn't bother me if things are not perfect. I know I am weird. I am very OCD about some things and not the least bit OCD about others - my stash is a royal mess right now! But....my friend Deborah - her pins are perfectly sorted in her pin cushion by color!
                        Donna

Comment

That's funny. I am OCD with the yard work and not the housework or my quilting room.

Comment

I'm OCD about most things concerning my horses. Everything else? Heh, not so much.

Comment

May I share a personal story? Recently re connected with a former co worker to attend her daughters baby shower. A few days later received a message from my friend thanking me for attending... And reminding me that this was her child I made a very simple quilt for over 8 years ago ..and she stills has it to this day. I can't tell you what quilt I made ... I'm sure it was something fairly simple. I do remember that at that time the child (now having her own baby) was experiencing some difficulty...and I wanted her to feel loved. I can guarantee you that there were non matching seams...the quilting was straight line...but it was made with love. I thought she'd love it for a bit ... But I was wrong..she still loves it. My friend has no idea how much this has helped me to just keep sewing, making, creating...it does not have to be perfect...it just has to be made...with love.
                              Life ain’t always beautiful
                              But it’s a beautiful ride - Gary Allen

Comment

Working...
                              X