Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gladys' Civil War Quilt - Please Help to Find!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gladys' Civil War Quilt - Please Help to Find!

On today's Daily Deal, Oct 20, there is a story about a Civil War quilt sent in by a lady named Gladys (below). I'd LOVE to see this! Does anyone know how or where to contact her so maybe we can see a photo? It sounds wonderful! Becky, LaVernia TX

She said:

“One of my favorite memories of childhood was when my maternal grandmother came to California from Kansas to spend the winter. She brought a quilt top with her every year. My father built her a quilting frame, and our life revolved around a quilt that took up most of the space in our living room every winter. One of the quilts she made was for my twin bed and it has recently been passed down through my family to my great grandniece. Another covers the bed in my guest room now.

“Knowing my love of the quilts she made, when she passed away, Grandma left me a family heirloom quilt made during the American Civil War. My mother shared with me the story behind it.

“My great, great grandparents, James and Caroline Gerlach Boston, lived in Illinois. At the outbreak of the war, James enlisted in the Union Army and went off to fight. When Caroline was notified that James had been wounded and had been taken to Benton Barracks, Missouri, she left her children with her mother and went to care for him.

“She stayed for the duration of the war, caring for her husband and many other wounded soldiers. During this time, she made a spool pattern quilt and, in each of the four trapezoids of every block, she embroidered the name, home state, and unit of each soldier she cared for. Near the center of the quilt is a block with her name, and across from it, her husband’s.

“For a quilt 150 years old, it is in remarkable condition. It reminds me of the long line of women who preceded me for whom needlework in all its forms is a joy!”

Re: Gladys' Civil War Quilt - Please Help to Find!

That would be very special to see! Hopefully someone knows where a picture may be.
    Donna

Comment

Wow what a treasure .

Comment

Would love to see a photo of it.

Jeannette

Comment

Civil War Quilts: James and Caroline Boston's Civil War
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

Working...
          X