Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on industrial sewing machine

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Need advice on industrial sewing machine

    Hi all!

    I've been MIA for a while. I got put on my 8th publication program at work so I have been juggling them all. Talk about stress. I haven't been able to sew in a while. Eleven hour work days leaves no time for play.

    My hubby was checking out an app called Close5 and found an industrial sewing machine in my price range. All we could find before was machines for $600 and that was too pricey. So I went and checked it out. The woman took very good care of it. Clean, belt in great condition, extra feet, and it sewed beautifully. I ran scrap quilting doubled over (4 layers of fabric and two layers of batting). It sewed like a dream. Throat space is about 10" (didn't measure). I paid only $200. She even gave me the oil, extra bobbins, and thread. The best part is I got a mini lesson thrown in.

    My question to anyone who has an industrial sewing machine, do you have any tips or tricks or advice on how to use this machine? I took pictures on how to thread it. It doesn't have a manual. I know it's a Brother by the partial sticker on the back and I have the serial number but that is the only markings. She bought it from a teaching instructor. I'm intimidated by the power it has so I want to make sure I learn what I can first.

    Help!
    Hugs,
    Joanne

    There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

    A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

    #2
    Re: Need advice on industrial sewing machine

    Congratulations on your new purchase. I am of no help to you, sorry.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Need advice on industrial sewing machine

      Sounds like a great machine. I'm sorry but I don't know anything about industrial machines either, but I'm sure someone will come along who can help you.
      Lori

      http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Need advice on industrial sewing machine

        Bubba (Pat) in Tacoma recently got an industrial machine. Probably not the same but hopefully she will see this & chime in. She seems to have Walter purring like a kitten going by the amazing things she is producing..
        May the road rise up to meet you...
        May the wind be always at your back...
        May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
        Patt :icon_wave:

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Need advice on industrial sewing machine

          Have fun... i LOVE fast sewing and a machine that flies over the thick stuff)
          I don't have an industrial,but i'm guessing if you can put the serial number on the Brother website, you may come up with something "printable"... Enjoy!
          and do try to take time for a little stitching.. with that much job stress it would be great therapy and relaxing for you) Hugs, GB
          "Each day well-lived and Happy;
          that's all there is to Life!"

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Need advice on industrial sewing machine

            Originally posted by Lori63 View Post
            Sounds like a great machine. I'm sorry but I don't know anything about industrial machines either, but I'm sure someone will come along who can help you.
            Thanks Lori. I hope so. I'm hoping to try it out today.
            Hugs,
            Joanne

            There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

            A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
            Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Need advice on industrial sewing machine

              Originally posted by Monique View Post
              Congratulations on your new purchase. I am of no help to you, sorry.
              Thanks Monique! I am hoping to test it today. I haven't been able to try it yet. Hubby has some crazy idea that now that I have this, I can do car upholstery. keep in mind that I have zero experience with this. Ugh. Got to learn how to control the speed first. Don't need to be sewing my fingers!
              Hugs,
              Joanne

              There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

              A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
              Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Need advice on industrial sewing machine

                Originally posted by Quiltfreestyle View Post
                Bubba (Pat) in Tacoma recently got an industrial machine. Probably not the same but hopefully she will see this & chime in. She seems to have Walter purring like a kitten going by the amazing things she is producing..
                She does have amazing talent. I have been admiring her work since I first got here.

                Yoohoo... Pat any advice for a total newb???
                Hugs,
                Joanne

                There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

                A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Need advice on industrial sewing machine

                  Originally posted by GrammaBabs View Post
                  Have fun... i LOVE fast sewing and a machine that flies over the thick stuff)
                  I don't have an industrial,but i'm guessing if you can put the serial number on the Brother website, you may come up with something "printable"... Enjoy!
                  and do try to take time for a little stitching.. with that much job stress it would be great therapy and relaxing for you) Hugs, GB
                  Thanks GB ! I really do need time for myself. I was off yesterday because by Thursday I was already into overtime. Bosses frown on that. so I spent all day (12 hours) harvesting my garden. Wasn't fun and it was backbreaking. I wish we had the holiday off too but they also frown on giving us federal holidays aside from the forced ones ( christmas, labor, memorial, 4th of July, thanksgiving, and new years). Cheap company. Hubby gets them all.
                  Hugs,
                  Joanne

                  There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

                  A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                  Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Need advice on industrial sewing machine

                    On both Jack (the new Juki) and Matilda (the Pfaff), there is a box underneath with a dial so you can set the number of spm. I had Jack at the lowest, which I think is 250, but he recently got clicked up to 350 (I think the max is 5000!!). I'll sew at that speed for a bit and probably click it up one more time.

                    My main foot has a guard on it so I can't sew my finger (thank God!). I often get confused between the knee lifter and the foot pedal. When I learned to sew years ago, you used a knee lever to run the machine and that has come back to me. Make sure there is oil in the machine! Mine has a pan underneath that you fill, then there are wicks that suck the oil up into the machine. When MM set it up, he used almost a quart of it! Should be good for a couple years, they said.

                    I'm sure you will be able to find something online. I'm lucky that if I do have problems, there is a store that sells industrials about 20 minutes from my house and I can call and ask them questions. It's about a mile from MM's work, so he can stop on his way home and pick things up for me if I need them.

                    Oh, the most confusing part for me was winding the bobbin, which you do off to the side of the machine. I had to YouTube that to figure out how to do it. If yours is like that too, make sure you unthread the machine halfway to the point where you take the thread out of that part that goes up and down. If you don't, you will have a big mess on your hands....yes, I know from experience!
                    pat.

                    No rain....no rainbows!


                    sigpic

                    If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Need advice on industrial sewing machine

                      Since you have the serial or model number, Brother itself might have something in industrial machines.

                      This site also carries industrials and might have info:
                      Brother Instruction Manuals: Sewing Parts Online

                      HTH

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Need advice on industrial sewing machine

                        Originally posted by bubba View Post
                        On both Jack (the new Juki) and Matilda (the Pfaff), there is a box underneath with a dial so you can set the number of spm. I had Jack at the lowest, which I think is 250, but he recently got clicked up to 350 (I think the max is 5000!!). I'll sew at that speed for a bit and probably click it up one more time.

                        My main foot has a guard on it so I can't sew my finger (thank God!). I often get confused between the knee lifter and the foot pedal. When I learned to sew years ago, you used a knee lever to run the machine and that has come back to me. Make sure there is oil in the machine! Mine has a pan underneath that you fill, then there are wicks that suck the oil up into the machine. When MM set it up, he used almost a quart of it! Should be good for a couple years, they said.

                        I'm sure you will be able to find something online. I'm lucky that if I do have problems, there is a store that sells industrials about 20 minutes from my house and I can call and ask them questions. It's about a mile from MM's work, so he can stop on his way home and pick things up for me if I need them.

                        Oh, the most confusing part for me was winding the bobbin, which you do off to the side of the machine. I had to YouTube that to figure out how to do it. If yours is like that too, make sure you unthread the machine halfway to the point where you take the thread out of that part that goes up and down. If you don't, you will have a big mess on your hands....yes, I know from experience!
                        This is what little I know. It does have a pan. She gave me the bottle of oil (about half full) but there is no label on the bottle. Not sure which to get. I made sure that the pan that had the oil transferred home with out spilling it. Didn't want to waste it.

                        It does have the bobbin winder on the side. That looks confusing. Not 100% sure but I thought she said I didn't have to unthread the machine. She did give me her Facebook page so I can friend her and ask questions. I might have to. It is one strong machine. Industrials are like that. LOL It's one mean motor though. Aside from the stickers, it looks almost new. Very clean.

                        In Rhode Island, there are very few sewing centers. I don't believe there are industrial sewing centers. I rely on learning all I can about maintaining and fixing because of this. I also rely on the internet for parts.

                        I'm glad you mentioned things like speed control and wicks. I have no idea about the speed control but I think if it did, she would have mentioned it. I will look. I think I will have to do it the old fashioned way and learn to control my speed manually. Back to the basics. My Brother PC-420 has speed control so I can't go over a certain speed, needle down, auto threader (that was a throwback when she said I thread the industrial manually). I was also surprised that it didn't have a thread cutter, anywhere. She said to use the large screw that holds the needle.

                        Think I will go look now. This is virginal territory. At my age, I don't get to say that very often.
                        Hugs,
                        Joanne

                        There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

                        A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                        Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Need advice on industrial sewing machine

                          Here are the crappy photos but when I took them, I wasn't thinking I would be posting.

                          belt.jpgbobbin winder 2.jpgbobbin winder.jpgbrother label.jpgfront 1.jpgfront 2.jpgfull front.jpgmotor.jpgside.jpg
                          Hugs,
                          Joanne

                          There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

                          A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                          Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Need advice on industrial sewing machine

                            Here is what I found from the tag on the back. The GNBRVTH5 number is the code for the Greater New Bedford Regional Vocational Technical High School. Not much to go on.
                            Hugs,
                            Joanne

                            There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

                            A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                            Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Need advice on industrial sewing machine

                              Order yourself one of these Industrial Sewing Machine Grip Snip Thread Cutter | eBay

                              We had cutters like this on our machines when I worked for Levi Strauss. Well, on some of the machines. When I had to change machines I used to take the cutter off and take it with me. The mechanics used to get so mad at me. I told them when they made sure that ALL the machines had cutters I'd would stop.

                              Or here is a little stick on one - http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/thr...f-machine.aspx

                              I'd get the first one if it were me.
                              Last edited by K. McEuen; October 10th, 2015, 09:51 AM.
                              K is for Karen 😊​..................
                              Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.


                              Before you speak,
                              T - is it TRUE?
                              H - is it HELPFUL?
                              I - is it INSPIRING?
                              N - is it NECESSARY?
                              K - is it KIND?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X