Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alot Of Questions About Fusible Fleece a and ? about Felt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alot Of Questions About Fusible Fleece a and ? about Felt.

I have a few projects that I want to make:
    (Goody Goody Binding kit- http://lellaboutique.blogspot.com/20...nding-kit.html .....A sewing machine cover from this tutorial from crafty gemini- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ALwwH_F1FU ......and the Bionic Gear Bag- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHuZ81P4r-Q)

Which has me having a few questions since I haven't made any projects like these before...so Im a newbie so alot of theses questions may seem stupid :p

1. The sewing machine cover uses fusible fleece.....I probably will want to wash the cover periodically (I live near a dirt road and dust is always an issue in my house and I have allergies so when things start to get dusty I want to be able to clean them.) I don't normally prewash fabrics ever and I know it is a preference among quilters but when it comes to fusibles like fusible fleece and Heat n bond lite for "applique" type things (ill need to use the Heat n Bond for the binding tool kit) do i need to pre wash the fabric used for that??

2. I know there is difference in loftiness in fusible fleeces .... the Heat n Bond Fusible fleece sold here on msqc(https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...leece-20-x-1yd) Shows on the packaging high loft.....I was wondering on how lofty that is and the Thermolam Plus Fusible F. https://secure.missouriquiltco.com/s...-white-yardage ....maybe compared to warm and natural cotton batting? ......Which would you recommend low loft, high loft (difference in brands?) for each of these different projects? or is some better to use regular batting...like the binding kit and bionic gear bag?

3. After the sewing machine cover is made it has the front fabric and the fleece and no backing fabric.....does that still allow for the project to be washed?

4. When making the GOODY GOODY BINDING KIT it calls for Wool Felt ....I haven't been able to find a way to buy just a small piece of wool felt but have found polyester felt on this site cheap and small amounts and was wondering if that's a good alternative to hold the needles in the case.

Any input would be appreciated.
    THank you
    Last edited by Sydney; October 4, 2015, 04:32 PM. Reason: issues with links

Re: Alot Of Questions About Fusible Fleece a and ? about Felt.

Bumping this up in case someone didn't see it. I don't think I have experience in these things you want to make, but hopefully someone here can help you. Lots of great bag makers on here.

Comment

I made my sewing machine cover from her tut. Used the same fusible fleece that she used and love that stuff. I made two covers because I also have pretty bad allergies This way I was able to wash one machine cover and have something else to cover my machine. The fusible fleece washes beautifully. And by the way, Missouri Star does sell this fleece on their site and I have found other places are much more expensive. I highly recommend it. At a later time I found that I could buy it by the yard(which makes me very happy}. As far as the loft goes, the best I can tell you is that the fusible fleece is not very thick. For this machine cover I don't think I would want thick fusible, just my opinion. Hope this is helpful.

Sorry I can't help with the felt. I have bought felt in the past, but at the time I needed a good amount.
      Last edited by Sewbusy1; October 5, 2015, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Let me see if I can help. The Binding kit is cute and calls for a 10 x 20 piece of cotton batting. That would be like Warm & White batting. It is not fusible, but I see no reason that you couldn't use a fusible. You could use Pellon 987F or the thicker one that I think is 971F. It also calls for Heat & Bond lite for the applique. That is fine, but there are many brands, such as Steam to Seam 2 lite. You just need a light weight one. Wool felt is something I don't use, but if it's just for the needles, the one you mentioned should be ok.

I have not made the Bionic gear bag, but many here have done so. I'm experienced with bag making and do not consider this pattern to be a beginner pattern. You may become frustrated with all the steps, zippers, pockets, etc., until you have made a few basic bags. You mentioned that you are a newbie. I don't wish to discourage you but if you are new to sewing, try another bag pattern.

Vanessa's tutorial for the sewing machine cover used the Pellon 987F fusible fleece. She did not use a backing or make a lining. If you want to wash the cover, I suggest that you fuse your top and then place it on top of a backing fabric and then quilt. You will want to allow a little extra in your measurements to accommodate the extra thickness of an additional layer, but this would solve the issue of washing. (And it makes a lot less mess of fuzz by the feed dogs.)

Hope this helps!
        Last edited by Sharyn J; October 5, 2015, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sewbusy1 View Post
          I made my sewing machine cover from her tut. Used the same fusible fleece that she used and love that stuff. I made two covers because I also have pretty bad allergies This way I was able to wash one machine cover and have something else to cover my machine. The fusible fleece washes beautifully. And by the way, Missouri Star does sell this fleece on their site and I have found other places are much more expensive. I highly recommend it. At a later time I found that I could buy it by the yard(which makes me very happy}. As far as the loft goes, the best I can tell you is that the fusible fleece is not very thick. For this machine cover I don't think I would want thick fusible, just my opinion. Hope this is helpful.

Sorry I can't help with the felt. I have bought felt in the past, but at the time I needed a good amount.
          Thank you for the reply. Did you pre-wash the fabric before fusing and sewing? If not was there any problems when you washed it? The reason I was thinking about using a thicker fusible fleece was for me structure because I was thinking about making pockets. And I mostly buy all my sewing supplies on MSQC

Comment

I can help with the felt. Etsy has a ton of sellers and most or all of them take custom orders. One of my faorite places to shop!

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=wool%2...eets&ref=auto3
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Sharyn J View Post
              Let me see if I can help. The Binding kit is cute and calls for a 10 x 20 piece of cotton batting. That would be like Warm & White batting. It is not fusible, but I see no reason that you couldn't use a fusible. You could use Pellon 987F or the thicker one that I think is 971F. It also calls for Heat & Bond lite for the applique. That is fine, but there are many brands, such as Steam to Seam 2 lite. You just need a light weight one. Wool felt is something I don't use, but if it's just for the needles, the one you mentioned should be ok.

I have not made the Bionic gear bag, but many here have done so. I'm experienced with bag making and do not consider this pattern to be a beginner pattern. You may become frustrated with all the steps, zippers, pockets, etc., until you have made a few basic bags. You mentioned that you are a newbie. I don't wish to discourage you but if you are new to sewing, try another bag pattern.

Vanessa's tutorial for the sewing machine cover used the Pellon 987F fusible fleece. She did not use a backing or make a lining. If you want to wash the cover, I suggest that you fuse your top and then place it on top of a backing fabric and then quilt. You will want to allow a little extra in your measurements to accommodate the extra thickness of an additional layer, but this would solve the issue of washing. (And it makes a lot less mess of fuzz by the feed dogs.)

Hope this helps!

Yeah I was just wondering if maybe the thicker one would be best since the other one seems so thin......I have the heat n bond lite already my issue is knowing to prewash or not Ive looked online and alot of ppl have said that you pre-wash and the packaging does as well ....I wondered if that was just a preference thing like quilting or a need to kind of thing with the fusible...I do plan on working on some other simple zip bags before doing the bionic bag but I'm wanting to just get the supplies and have it ready for when I'm ready to do it ....Ive also found a youtube vid of someone sewing the bag so i think that will help alot when the time comes...do you know if anyone u know used fusible fleece....in the pattern the maker mentioned they didnt sugguest the fusible fleece but made it seem like it was her opinion and didnt explain why.....If i did add the back layer how much extra should i add to my measurments?

Thanks so much for the reply I was beginning to think no one was going to reply lol

Comment

I think ill use the polyester felt so i wont have extra shipping ...hopefully it will work

Comment

I made the binding kit and just used a piece of leftover fleece from another project in place of the wool and it works perfectly.0906151230-1.jpgd
                  Last edited by skersey; October 6, 2015, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Sydney, there are a lot of quilters who don't prewash anything. If you buy good quality cotton fabrics like M* sells, the shrinkage should not be a problem, thus prewashing not necessary. I think quilters got in the habit of that years ago when quality of fabric manufacturing was not as dependable.
                    Now, some quilters are sensitive to the chemicals used in fabric finishing, so washing helps that issue.

Comment

Sydney, I rarely pre-wash. I made a simple sewing cover. I washed it after it got soiled and it shrunk and was too tight to fit over my machine. That's why I suggested making the cover larger. It's also easier to use 1/2" seams when using thicker fleece or batting. You can trim seams later. Make your cover roomy to allow for shrinkage. And let it air dry. Mine went in the dryer by mistake and it ended up in a goodwill bag!

Comment

Originally posted by skersey View Post
                        I made the binding kit and just used a piece of leftover fleece from another project in place of the wool and it works perfectly.[ATTACH=CONFIG]119043[/ATTACH]d
                        Wow your binding kit is so pretty! Did the fleece have the fusible on the back? Did you use batting or use fleece in place of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharyn J View Post
                          Sydney, I rarely pre-wash. I made a simple sewing cover. I washed it after it got soiled and it shrunk and was too tight to fit over my machine. That's why I suggested making the cover larger. It's also easier to use 1/2" seams when using thicker fleece or batting. You can trim seams later. Make your cover roomy to allow for shrinkage. And let it air dry. Mine went in the dryer by mistake and it ended up in a goodwill bag!
                          Wow that must have been so frustrating...maybe prewashing would be a good idea lol ....only thing is I dont plan on using all the fabric for these projects and never prewashed before so i have no idea how its done....its so confusing to be a newbie at these things...the questions seem endless sometimes

Comment

pre washing is easy when you bring your cut fabrics home throw them in the machine on gentle with a little laundry soap. then I hang mine outside to dry or inside on hangers if its winter or raining. Press when dry and fold on a comic board and voila done! I do not wash pre cuts other then fat quarters. If you have a serger you may want to zip around the cut edges to prevent excess raveling. Small cuts like 1/8 or 1/4 yards I sometimes put in a lingerie bag.

I pre wash as I said all fabrics. As a former and stil garment maker you only make the mistake once of not washing first. Make a fresh new garment that fits greta wash it and its too small..A lot of wasted time and energy. So yup only did that once.
                            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                            Sigmund Freud

Comment

I used batting for the quilted outside layer and just a small piece of regular fleece sewn to the inside layer to hold my needles.

Comment

Working...
                              X