Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOW MANY US SEW BY HAND ? QUiLT, PIECE, APPLIQAE, SEW......... PLEASE, SHARE YOURS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOW MANY US SEW BY HAND ? QUiLT, PIECE, APPLIQAE, SEW......... PLEASE, SHARE YOURS

love to keep a hand sewing project going at all times.
    I hand piece my blocks, its portable, can pick it up and take it with me wherever I go. It's so relaxing, if you have any kind of stress, this is the best way to concur it that I have tried.
    So good for keeping my nervous energy, under control. If i'm not piecing blocks, Appliqae, Making bears,I practice a little needle work,I'm just learning how, but YouTube is pretty helpful.
    I finality found something that computers are good forand keeping in touch with all my friends here. Would you help me encourages others ,inspire a art so it doesn't become a lost art. My daughter hand pierces too, she is 22.
    Would you please SHARE with us all, what you work on, and WHY, you sew by hand. Show your stuff. Pics of your quitting or want you want.Embroidery, Needlework.........
    FB_IMG_1443664284880.jpgIMG_20150418_150005.jpgIMG_20150703_104440.jpgIMG_20150418_151510.jpg

Attached Files

....Bee
    The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡sigpic
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Re: HOW MANY US SEW BY HAND ? QUiLT, PIECE, APPLIQAE, SEW......... PLEASE, SHARE YOURS

A few supplies, not to complicated. Heres a few more pics.
    Attached Files

....Bee
    The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡sigpic
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Comment

Re: HOW MANY US SEW BY HAND ? QUiLT, PIECE, APPLIQAE, SEW......... PLEASE, SHARE YOURS

These are great. I still hand stitch baby quilts for family members and close friends. I piece them together by machine. These old fingers are having problems with the stitching. My stitches are a lot larger than they were 25 years ago. Keep up the good work.

Comment

I hand quilt everything and have all the gadgets and gizmos to prove it! I have never hand pieced a top but someday would like to, except I wonder if I did that, would it stay together as good being washed in washing machine. That's why I piece by machine the end result is the best of both worlds. I would be pretty humiliated if I hand pieced and quilted a quilt for someone then it started falling apart. Because it takes months and months of hand work.

I would love to get into miniature quilt making, they just fascinate me. But I have never been a huge fan of paper piecing and am having difficulty finding miniature patterns that are not PP. So that's always on the back burner for me and I am constantly on the lookout for patterns. Would love to make a miniature sampler of about 30 3-inch blocks. Wouldn't that be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
          I hand quilt everything and have all the gadgets and gizmos to prove it! I have never hand pieced a top but someday would like to, except I wonder if I did that, would it stay together as good being washed in washing machine. That's why I piece by machine the end result is the best of both worlds. I would be pretty humiliated if I hand pieced and quilted a quilt for someone then it started falling apart. Because it takes months and months of hand work.

I would love to get into miniature quilt making, they just fascinate me. But I have never been a huge fan of paper piecing and am having difficulty finding miniature patterns that are not PP. So that's always on the back burner for me and I am constantly on the lookout for patterns. Would love to make a miniature sampler of about 30 3-inch blocks. Wouldn't that be cool.
          It's expensive, but this book covers pieced. I have it and have used it.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...niature+quilts

This does, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Quilts-...niature+quilts

I made a few from the first book years ago. Turned out very well.

Comment

I have been doing needle turn hearts for awhile and find it relaxing to do while sitting around in the evening. I don't piece by hand as I just cant do straight lines lol
            Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Thank you Alpha! I have the Little Quilts book too. The link you posted for the first one only took me to Amazon not your particular book. Could you tell me the name & author of the one you said that you used. I would like to look it up.

Comment

Altariss have you tried doing hearts with coffee filters? I heard it's the layest thing for applique. You iron the coffee filter flat and cut it out to the identical size as your fabric. Sew close to the edge thru filter and fabric. Then ccarefully slit the coffee filter in the center and flip the whole thing inside out, or I should say right side out. Your edges are all tucked in nice and neat, no needle turn and ready to applique. I haven't tried it but it sounds like it would totally work.

Comment

I started 2 hand pieced quilts about 12 -13 yrs ago. I worked on them for a while and then put it all away when my father passed away (I was making on one for him). Last year when we went on vacation, I took it along and worked on it a little. I will take it with me on the trip DD and I are taking soon.
                  Donna

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                    Altariss have you tried doing hearts with coffee filters? I heard it's the layest thing for applique. You iron the coffee filter flat and cut it out to the identical size as your fabric. Sew close to the edge thru filter and fabric. Then ccarefully slit the coffee filter in the center and flip the whole thing inside out, or I should say right side out. Your edges are all tucked in nice and neat, no needle turn and ready to applique. I haven't tried it but it sounds like it would totally work.
                    I've done COC circles this way and it works!
                    Donna

Comment

I'm doing some small, simple wall hangings by hand using the Roses and Chocolate charm square fabric. I've also done applique by hand, too.
                      P1010652.JPGP1010655.jpgP1010653.jpg

Comment

{[QUOTE=jjkaiser;801388]I hand quilt everything and have all the gadgets and gizmos to prove it! I have never hand pieced a top but someday would like to, except I wonder if I did that, would it stay together {as good being washed in washing machine. That's why I piece by machine the end result is the best of both worlds. I would be pretty humiliated if I hand pieced and quilted a quilt for someone then it started {falling apart. Because it takes months and months of hand work.}

I would love to get into miniature quilt making, they just fascinate me. But I have never been a huge fan of paper piecing and am having difficulty finding miniature patterns that are not PP. So that's always on the back burner for me and I am constantly on the lookout for patterns. Would love to make a miniature {sampler of about 30 3-inch blocks. Wouldn't that be cool.[/QUO. }
                        .................................................. ...............................................(.. problems)......................................... ...................................
                        I am making a Little Quilt now using a patter by Jan Pedet, she has tutorials for most of her patterns to follow along.This one is Cedar Creek.
                        She teaches needle turn, like Jenny, she's very good.

It hink the hand pieced blocks will be ok, one because Jenny Myers does it, two the quilting will sure it up. Best of both worlds.

Glad yall joined in I love the coffees filter idea. You can use fuseable
                        Interfacing , sewing sticky side and front side facing eachother together
                        Tim close clip back of interfacing , turn inside out and it makes real nice edges. A little heat stays in place, do a little stitching around if you like,
                        and Wa La. You will like this.
                        Share more Ladies, thanks.
                        Last edited by SewnByBee; October 1, 2015, 08:20 PM.

....Bee

~~♡sigpic
                        ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Comment

This one is all hand pieced, and will be hand quilted as well.
                          004.jpg

This one is hand pieced and hand quilted.

004.jpg

I have a lot more, but don't have pics of them. Oh yes, the one in my avatar is hand applique.

Comment

Originally posted by kimsophia View Post
                            I'm doing some small, simple wall hangings by hand using the Roses and Chocolate charm square fabric. I've also done applique by hand, too.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]118895[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]118896[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]118897[/ATTACH]

I LOVE these, there so SWEET, the colors are beautiful !
                            THANKS, for sharing, i've got more too, I'll try to get mote
                            Pics up.I made some Dresden flowere . & Sun Bonnet Sue.

....Bee

~~♡sigpic
                            ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Comment

I hand pieced my first two quilts I made,one was a Log Cabin and the other was a Double wedding ring.In order to stitch straight lines I did have to mark my 1/4" line then sew.I really like to piece by hand ,but my hand doesn't always agree because of arthritis.
                              :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Working...
                              X