Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you purchased that you never use or would never buy again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What have you purchased that you never use or would never buy again?

If any one has a Super Sidekick Ruler they are not using and will be willing to sell, I am interested in buying. I am going to try the Boomerang quilt when I get done with my Blue Spice Market quilt. The pattern included a paper template on page 5 for triangles and half triangles, but I'm more comfortable with a firm ruler.

Comment

Originally posted by SusanMarie1956 View Post
      I bought a Binding Tool and just can't get the hang of it. So it's never used.

Susan
      I have one and love it-but I do need to put the tutorials to see how to use it.

Comment

Pounce marker thingy. I tried it but the marks weren't dark enough and they brushed off. It sat for a number of years on the far corner of my cutting table and I finally chucked it. What a waste of money that was. And maybe a log cabin ruler. I've made log cabin quilts and never used it. It's too easy to just add an inch or whatever is needed.
        🍄 Heather🍄

Comment

I went to the Paducah quilt show and smiled as I watched the throngs of folks hungrily watching the vendor theatrics and afterwards fighting to grab the thingamabob the vendor was selling. There were a lot of cool things and there were a lot of things on this forum thread that you guys said you wished you had never purchased.

So I purchased a few items that I figured I needed, and one of them was a Bloc-Loc ruler since I am always squaring up HSTs. This week for the first time I got a chance to use it. I never had a difficult time squaring up HSTs using my regular square ruler, but boy, oh boy! That Bloc-Loc HST square-up 6.5" ruler surely makes squaring 'em up a breeze (and kinda fun, too).

So that's one thingamabob that I purchased that I am glad I did. The other item I purchased was that Rapid Lemoyne Star ruler cuz I've been wanting that for like forever. And then I purchased a 6.5x8.5" CG ruler that I know I should have just got online on sale for far less,,,, but I really wanted it and it was right there in front of me. LOL

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
          The Farmmyfarm

Comment

I love my Bloc-Loc! Every time I use it (which is really often), I'm thankful that I bought it.
            Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

My Bloc-Loc doesn't actually get used much. It uses the raised seam line from pressing to the side and I press my seams open.

Comment

I bought the same ruler a long time ago. Never even took the wrapper off of it!
                Originally posted by cyndiofthevortex View Post
                No one has mentioned the special square-in-a-square ruler! I hate it! I can't figure it out and I will never, ever use it. I'm not even sure where it is anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by kimsophia View Post
                  I have a little Fiskars rotating mat and find it very handy. It eliminates my contorting myself into an awkward position where it is much more likely that I'll cut myself or veer off and screw up the cut. Another nice thing is that you don't have to pick up and move the fabric at all, as that can cause a wrinkle or mess up your layers, if you are cutting layers. But you don't need a rotating mat specifically...just a little mat that you quarter turn by hand would work too.

Something I wouldn't purchase again are two heavy red hoops to hold the fabric taut while I FMQ that only mess up my view of the needle and clonk into the side of the machine as I move the fabric.
                  I love my rotating mat. I have the 12in and just bought the 17in. I love both of them. I think they are my favorite tool. I'm finishing up my "Metro Rings" quilt. There is lots of squaring up on that pattern and having the rotating mat is very helpful!

Comment

I was having trouble with my Clover desk top needle threader and finally turned it around so the lever was at the opposite end and it worked. Must be because I am left-handed. I also found it works best with regular thread rather than hand quilting thread. The hand quilting thread is stiff enough I don't need the threader.

I am still getting use to posting on this forum, so am not sure if my response will show in the right place!

Comment

this thread is awesome... I was contemplating getting the pounce stuff and I won't bother now. I love my June tailor cut n press 12X18. So awesome for small cutting and pressing projects. I love my small "stork" scissors I got here on a daily deal, I use them more than any other pair of scissors.

I do NOT like my cheap-o applique pressing sheets, spend the money and get quality ones. I'm not a fan of the Fiskers rag quilt cutting scissors. it only cuts through two layers (denim and flannel) so it takes twice as long.
                      :lol::lol:
                      Sometimes I laugh so hard the tears run down my leg...
                      :lol::lol:

Comment

I don't understand the wobbling. Mine do not wobble and I love my rotating mats. I have the 12inch and I just bought the 17inch. They are fabulous for squaring up. It took a little while using it to get it to loosen up and spin well, but I love taking it to retreats. Perfect size.

Comment

Originally posted by ShannanMN View Post
                          I do NOT like my cheap-o applique pressing sheets, spend the money and get quality ones. I'm not a fan of the Fiskers rag quilt cutting scissors. it only cuts through two layers (denim and flannel) so it takes twice as long.
                          Hmm, I have the Fiskars rag quilt snips too (spring-loaded) but I've never had an issue with them. I've used them on 5 rag quilts so far.
                          I am Sew Blessed!
                          Alina

Comment

Originally posted by LaNiece View Post
                            I don't understand the wobbling. Mine do not wobble and I love my rotating mats. I have the 12inch and I just bought the 17inch. They are fabulous for squaring up. It took a little while using it to get it to loosen up and spin well, but I love taking it to retreats. Perfect size.

The Martelli wobbling mat can be seen on the YouTube quilt tutorial videos where the instructor tries to cut and the Martelli mat moves while they're trying to cut.

For example, watch Jenny cutting in this video: Wobbling Mat

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                            The Farmmyfarm

Comment

And there is powder every where

Comment

Oh, I have the Olfa rotating mats and they don't wobble. I love mine!
                                Originally posted by Sheep Farmer View Post

The Martelli wobbling mat can be seen on the YouTube quilt tutorial videos where the instructor tries to cut and the Martelli mat moves while they're trying to cut.

For example, watch Jenny cutting in this video: Wobbling Mat

Comment

Working...
                                X