Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To pre-wash or not to Pre-wash (flannel charm packs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To pre-wash or not to Pre-wash (flannel charm packs)

I just bought two flannel charm packs from the Missouri Star website and was wondering if I should pre-wash?

I've never used flannel before and I've never pre-washed pre-cuts before either so I don't really know where to start.

I'm a little nervous about using flannel for the first time, especially since it's for a very special gift. Any tips or tricks for using it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Sal

Re: To pre-wash or not to Pre-wash (flannel charm packs)

Never wash precuts! It doesn't matter if they are flannel or not. The edges will fray and you won't have much usable fabric left. I have made several quilts with flannel precuts and I was pleased with the results after washing. I did use flannel on the back too so all of the fabrics shrunk the same. If you use a poly batting it won't shrink as much as it would if you use a cotton batting if that is what you are worried about. Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks LCQuilts, that does help. That's what I was assuming would happen if I prewashed the precuts, that's why I've never done it before. With the quilt I'm making I have a charm pack of flannel that has a whole bunch of cute animals prints and I wanted to add some solid squares in to mix it up a bit, I'm just not sure if I should use cotton or do cotton/flannel like all the other fabric. Plus I have to figure out what fabric to use on the backing.

I'm actually going to have it quilted at my local quilt store and they will supply the batting for an additional charge.

-Sal

Comment

I agree,.. NEVER wash Precuts.... Not even flannel ones...

I don't prewash anything these days, including flannel yardage... .. I wash all my quults in cold water, and dry them on pet mores as soon as they are done,,. Never had an excessive shrinkage problem, or a bleeding is due. I do test my deep reds, though... Just to be safe.

Today!'s good fabrics are just that,,.goid.... They shrunk very little, and very seldom bleed...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

If you are worried about shrinkage, you can steam iron (press, so you don't distort) them. Lisa Bongean of primitivegatherings.com works with a lot of flannel. She madly starches anything and everything, hangs it to dry, and irons it later. She likes that this method does not shrink her fabric.
          Starch/Size questions? | Lisa Bongean's Weblog

If you have any extra, you might want to test your fabric first and see what you like. I've worked only minimally with flannel, and it got so floppy that next time I'm going to try Lisa Bongean's method. I already follow her starching technique for regular fabric and love the results and the fact that it saves me the energy of doing much pressing, my iron time is minimal now.

Comment

I made a cp throw last fall just using regular cotton 5" squares that I did NOT prewash. I backed it with flannel bought by the yard and that piece I DID prewash in hot and put in a hot dryer. When I washed the finished quilt it shrunk a little, I would guess about one inch in each direction. So you can't prewash flannel precuts. But if you are worried about it shrinking too much, how about adding an extra block at the end of each row? Since I don't know what pattern you are using this might not work as it may screw up your design. If possible I would try to make the quilt a little bigger somehow (wider or second border) so if it shrinks it will still be big enough.

Comment

The smallest that I have prewashed has been flannel fat quarters. But, I surged all the edges first.
              Vonnie

Comment

Working...
              X