• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LizTheScot
    Applique Angel
    • Nov 2014

Where do you buy your thread?

I'm finally getting back to my machine after a few months of Life getting in the way (funny how that happens...) Of course, I have more than enough fabric and projects to keep me entertained from now until 2020 but I realized today that I don't have enough of my 'basic' threads to see me through. So - any recommendations for reliable sites for threads that have reasonable prices all the time i.e. not just great sales a few times a year? My go-to threads are Aurifil and Superior Masterpiece. Thanks all!
    Slainte!

Liz

:icon_pcnoob:
  • K. McEuen
    Super Moderator
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

Re: Where do you buy your thread?

I but from Connecting Threads (their brand of Egyptian cotton) and from Superior.
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

• katier825
      Missouri Star
      • Nov 2011

If you like Aurifil for piecing and quilting, you might also like Cairo-Quilt from Fil-Tec. It is very similar. Also, for quilting, I love their Glide thread! They are less expensive than Aurifil too.

Cairo-Quilt - TOP THREAD - QUILTING

Glide - TOP THREAD - QUILTING

Comment

• Sonic
        Missouri Star
        • Sep 2014

I also buy my thread from Connecting Threads, especially when it's on sale, but Craftsy will often have Aurifil on sale.
        Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....:icon_noob:

Comment

• Sylvia H
          Missouri Star
          • May 2014

Craftsy is still showing the Aurifil spools at $7.50, and they have larger cones, too for $35. The larger cones are 4.5X the size of the spools, but there really isn't any $$$ savings. At my LQS, a spool of Aurifl sells for $12.95, so Craftsy can be a savings if you can absorb the shipping cost.

I am currently using Superior's 50 wt cotton. It sews very nicely, but I am seeing more lint than I do with Aurifil. I didn't think there was a price difference between Superior and what I pay for Aurifil at the LQS. I just bought my first spool of Connecting Threads 50 wt, but I haven't used it yet.
          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• pharris123
            The Guild President
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
            I also buy my thread from Connecting Threads, especially when it's on sale, but Craftsy will often have Aurifil on sale.
            Thanks for this. I forget to look on Craftsy for supplies, and I needed some thread for hand piecing, wanted aurifil 50, and ta-da! It was on sale. I am so poor right now.....
            Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all! :icon_wave:

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Comment

• LizTheScot
              Applique Angel
              • Nov 2014

I'd love to hear about your experience with Connecting Threads and how it compares. I've not noticed any additional lint with Superior but I use their Masterpiece, if that makes any difference. Time for me to head over to Craftsy.....
              Slainte!

Liz

:icon_pcnoob:

Comment

• dwil23
                Missouri Star
                • May 2012

I only buy Connecting threads. It works perfectly in my machines and at less than $2 for a 1200 yard spool on sale, you can't beat it. I saw Aurafil at a LQS while on the shop hop for $14.75 for the same amount. I can't imagine that it would be worth that price. I am still using up lots of other brands I bought before discovering CT, and my vintage machines never complain. I personally would rather buy a spool of thread and a Yard of quilt store fabric than one spool of thread for $15. To each his own!

That being said, it is a little more linty, and my friends fancy schmancy Husqvarna refuses to sew with it, so she uses Gutermann, still much less expensive than Aurafil.
                Donna

Comment

• gshalom
                  Rotary Pro
                  • Mar 2014

i get my Aurifil from Pumkinvinecorner.com. always lowest prices for Aurifil.

Comment

• DramaMama
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2014

My machine LOVES Connecting Threads and Superior Threads.

Since using these two brands the past year, I have not purchased from a local fabric box store.
                    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

• Sonic
                      Missouri Star
                      • Sep 2014

I can't compare CT's thread since I have not used the others mentioned for piecing and quilting.
                      Any thread issues I've ever had with it were complete user error (still newer at this) and when I have done some other minor sewing using plain everyday (and more expensive) thread...my machine could not wait for it to be over and get back to the CT thread.

I love the fact that when the thread sets go on sale I can get 5 or 10 spools for less than the price of one or two Aurifils (same size spools) which as mentioned above allows me to buy more fabric. Yay!
                      Last edited by Sonic; August 2, 2015, 09:12 PM.
                      Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....:icon_noob:

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                        Missouri Star
                        • Apr 2011

My Viking /Husqvarna Designer SE prefers Gutterman thread....so I purchase it on sale. I also use Madeira White thread too....( I purchase pre-wound bobbins ( white & black ) from Madeira as well.
                        Last edited by redcaboose1717; August 2, 2015, 09:23 PM.
                        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• JCY
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jul 2013

For piecing & general purposes, I use 50 wt. cotton thread "eggshell color" or grey on a large cone which I buy at my LQS for $18.95. I've been using 40 wt. Signature single color thread on large cones for FMQ (bought from a vendor at a quilt show) & Superior's King Tut. I got a good deal on those when a LAQer friend placed a large quantity order. I've never bought thread on line, just locally.

Comment

• Sylvia H
                            Missouri Star
                            • May 2014

Originally posted by LizTheScot View Post
                            I'd love to hear about your experience with Connecting Threads and how it compares. I've not noticed any additional lint with Superior but I use their Masterpiece, if that makes any difference. Time for me to head over to Craftsy.....
                            I am using Superior's Masterpiece, a large cone, and I am definitely seeing more lint than with Aurifil. After using one bobbin of Masterpiece, I have more lint than after 3 bobbins with Aurifil. I don't see a difference in price, either, computing by the foot, between the two threads. But there is a difference in ply. Aurifil is only 2 ply, while Masterpiece is 3 ply. I have no idea how that will affect the quilt, although I believe that 3 ply is probably better than 2 ply.

I'll be happy to let you know about the Connecting Threads once I use it. I just may do a little project to try it out. I know an art quilter who highly recommends Connecting Threads. I asked her about the lint, and she said it wasn't any worse than any other thread.
                            If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• mpattylou
                              Designer Diva
                              • Apr 2014

Wawak sells Signature cotton size 50 3000 yd cones for under $9 and comes in 16 colors. I also buy Gutermann Mara 100 (Tex 30) when they have it on sale....1094 yards/spool...usually for $1.89 ea. They also have 5500 yard spools on sale right now for $10.16.

Comment

Working...
                              X