Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quilting but how many quilts does one (single) person need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quilting but how many quilts does one (single) person need?

I have been thinking about this because I think it is stopping me from making new quilts.

I have a decent amount of fabric - probably too much by some, not enough for others.

I've completed one quilt for myself (yeah!) that I use on my bed. I have several tops that need to be quilted (a Jung lap quilt, a pink-purple one that I don't really like as much as I thought that I would and know of nobody who would like it if it was finished, a queen-king size one for me that I just finished), plus one for my aunt that I'm not sure if it will fit the style of her new house out West and my yellow Dresden quilt that the tops aren't finished yet. So that is at least three unfinished/need to be quilted quilt tops for me.

However, I'm looking at my fabric stash and thinking that I want to make more quilts out of the fabric (why I bought it!) but that it is starting to seem a little silly to keep making quilts for just me. I've made several quilts for family and friends, but lately all the fabric I have purchased has been to my taste than to other family-friends that haven't received a quilt yet from me.

So, what do you quilters do out there? Just have piles of quilts floating around? It wouldn't be a problem if I lived in a house with a few bedrooms, but I'm in a single bedroom apartment - so one bed, one couch. I have the storage space to store the finished quilts just not the display room.

Thanks!

Re: Quilting but how many quilts does one (single) person need?

I'm working on two right now that aren't 'for' anybody in particular. I think one of them will be a second for my mom's guest bedroom, and the other might be for my son's guest bedroom.. maybe. These are the only two I've done that haven't had a home to start with. Usually, I know exactly who and for what I'm working on.

I think if I had a huge stash, I'd start on some small baby sized for the PICU unit in your local hospital, or maybe some lap sized that would work in wheel chairs for a nursing home.

Katrina
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

You could make quilts for pediatric units, or other groups - there is a Circle of Comfort group here on the forum; lots of places would love to have some - no matter what the color
      Also, what about trying something other than quilts? What about mini quilts (you could hang a few on your walls)? Maybe try landscape quilting (definitely on my 'to try' list). Bags and pouches are beautiful with quilting fabric (and there's the possibility of selling those, too - small items are easier to whip up for selling purposes!)
      I have piles of fabric and I've only been quilting for a year and a half - it's like artwork in my sewing room - it sits there and looks pretty until I use it... have fun!

Comment

I love having quilts everywhere. I only have one child at home now but I have five total so I love that no matter who is over they would be able to curl up with a favorite quilt. I make them because I love them, now if they would stop bringing out different fabrics I would stop buying lol. I'm always working on five quilts, I've collecting fabric for an 80's cartoon quilt since Saturday morning cartoons are a thing of the past. Then they had Archie fabric come out ...... Quilts are my form of art work, you could do some miniatures to try new blocks out or techniques to maximize space...the sky is the limit...Happy quilting

Comment

Songbird857 .....wow we think alike

Comment

I just make them. It is amazing because twice this year already, someone needed a quilt (people from church diagnosed with cancer), one older and one a kid, and I happened to have the perfect quilt top made so it was quick to quilt & gift.
            Happy Quilting!

Comment

I think you should continue making the ones that appeal to you. If they don't have a home, post pictures on ebay or etsy and make some money to buy more fabric.
              Vonnie

Comment

I agree with the others: Make it and the need will arise. Gifts, donations. You may want to make a few with androgynous or masculine colors, because some of those occasions will be for guys. Left to my own devices, I would only work with traditionally feminine colors and prints. So I have to force myself to make a quilt that is not girly in some way. I have only done baby size and lap quilts so far, due to my small harp machine and the fact that I haven't learned to QAYG yet. So little time, so many things to do and learn!

Comment

It is nice to have a few made and put up for when a surprise gift occasion arrises. I buy what I like but I like a lot of things so much of what I buy will suit others, too.
                  I also quilt a lot for Project Linus. To me it is fun to make kids quilts even though my DS and GK are covered up with quilts there are kids out there without, it is a good way for me to give back to my community.

Comment

Years ago, it was a tradition in parts of the country for a girl to make 12 quilts before she got married. Other than that..........make them the way YOU like them. They always find a home. Works for me. I've made 25 or so, and only have one to use myself, and THAT one was what I had made for my Mom. I got it back when she died. I hope to hang on to another one or two.

Comment

I think once the quilting bug bites you, you just have to keep making quilts. I've gifted quilts to all 4 sons, my GD & 2 baby quilts to GGS. I make baby quilts for the new moms at my church. Every mom has a baby shower, whether it's baby #1 or #5. I have some I plan to donate to charity, but I haven't done that yet. I keep hanging on to them "in case I might need them." There will be 4 new babies at church for the Aug. shower, so there will go 4 of them. Quilting is something that keeps me sane & is an outlet for my creativeness. My DH is in poor, declining health. I can't get away much. Having an hour or 2 a day to spend quilting brings me a lot of pleasure & a break from the caregiving, but I'm also home & "present" in case DH needs me. You might check with your local hospital, the fire/police dept., crisis pregnancy center, etc. Project Linus also was mentioned. You can search the web for charities in your locale that are worthy causes. Keep quilting!

Comment

Right now, I only have two completed quilts for myself. One is twin size, one is a throw (my first quilt). But I have 2 - possibly 3 - tops that I might keep for myself, and I have plans for at least two more quilts for myself. They are all different designs and colorways. I like the idea of changing out the quilt(s) in the living room and bedroom.

In addition, I am now making quilts for cousins and friends. I have a small immediate family, and I think they are pretty well "quilted out"! (Although my daughter was discussing a possible 2nd quilt for her stepdaughter.)

I also make place mats and table runners for gifts, and baby quilts and bibs for gifts.
                        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I totally understand how you are feeling...I have had the same thoughts myself. Just how many quilts do I need anyway!!?!! But, I love doing it and it is more fun to make those quilts where the colors and designs are just YOU! As others have said, I have 3 or 4 that I have made as donations but have not yet passed them on. A non-quilter one time asked me what I planned to do with all those quilts I was working on...this said in a nasty tone. BLAAH to her! I will keep on quilting despite her comment. It is who I am and what I do. It brings me a great deal of pleasure. It is my therapy and it is cheaper than a DOC sooo.... I also have 4 or 5 going at this time and switch up when I get stumped or bored. And, I am teaching a few ladies in my small town to quilt...as a volunteer only. I don't plan to quit any time soon. Brenda

Comment

I look at my quilting as a hobby and a creative outlet. So I keep on sewing and learning... thus having quilts of all sizes and patterns. Every time I gift one, I think DD#2 is going to cry.. she is a hoarder of every one I make. Now if only she would join in and make some..

Not sure I NEED all these quilts, But I am sure I'll never have enough fabric to make all the ones on my list.
                            Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination

Comment

I do like for them to have a purpose, I'm working on one for me, finally. There are a
                              couple of patterns I want to make just for my kids to have latter on in life. There's
                              patterns I just want to do, so I'llhave fun making it and then, I have fun starring it,
                              with someone who needs it when
                              I'm done.

....Bee
                              The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡sigpic
                              ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Comment

Working...
                              X