Help me save my stash of precuts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me save my stash of precuts!

A lifetime hobby sewer and quilter who never had time to sew more than a few hours a week or month I collected well over $1000 in precuts (and of course a ridiculous amount of yardage) in happy anticipation of retirement. I finally have had the luxury the last year of quilting at least several hours (or more) daily. Long story short, the past 6 weeks I have suffered from constant wheezing, eye, throat and sinus infections for the first time in my life and after antibiotics, ct scans, xrays, you name it, and going through an inquisition on what I had been in contact with, where I have been, etc. the doctors told me I have chemically induced respiratory disorder from the fabrics! Never had any issues or allergies in my entire life but I guess I overdid exposure ( the EENT has actually seen this before - could have saved tnousands if I had seen him first!). I am determined not to give up my fabrics or quilting - so please how can I prewash all my precuts to save them? I hired someone to wash and press all of my yardage but can't find how she can do the precuts without ruining them. I will be grateful for any ideas!

Re: Help me save my stash of precuts!

A gentle hand wash and air dry or dry rolled in a towel, then pressed the rest of the way. Or possibly washing in a bag of some sort in the machine on gentle.

I used to work for Levi Strauss and talked jokingly about "denim lung" like the coal miners used to get. I know when I blew my nose after work it was always blue!
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Thank you Karen! Do you think Orvus paste would be a good choice? I use it on my grandmother's quilts ( and my dogs!). Never would have believed this before but I had no idea of what was actually in the finishes on the fabric til the EENT gave me a handout ... yowzers. I guess mine is cotton addict lung ;-)
      Last edited by RobinofNewstead; June 8, 2015, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I sold Tupperware for a short time back in the day. The joke at meetings was if they ever did an autopsy on one of us, the lining of the stomach would be red as that was the color of beverage that was always served!
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I recenlty washed a charm pack and part of the quilt in a laundry bag, my puppy peeded on it, grrr. It's not worth the trouble to fix.I'm going to toss it or put it a dog bed, What if it was put in a dishwasher so it's not sloshed around?

Welcome to the forum!
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have never used Orvus, but one of our members, Toggpine uses it and seems to be very happy with it.
            K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

I think I might try woolite in the sink. Roll it in a towel to dry and then press with as low as iron as you can get away with. That's how I wash cross stitch...
              Last edited by Kajenkids; June 8, 2015, 10:44 PM.
              Kathe

sigpic Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong

Comment

You can try washing in a lingerie bag you might get some loose threads but if it's packed full enough it shouldn't be too bad.
                :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Great ideas already - thanks! I may try a few pieces each way that is posted and will let you know the results!!!

Comment

I have no idea if this would help but it popped in my head -
                    What if you (or your helper) starched each piece as opposed to washing? Would the starch contain the fibers long enough for you to sew them into a quilt (which you could then wash)?

Comment

Originally posted by songbird857 View Post
                      I have no idea if this would help but it popped in my head -
                      What if you (or your helper) starched each piece as opposed to washing? Would the starch contain the fibers long enough for you to sew them into a quilt (which you could then wash)?
                      Starch contains formaldehyde and as a chemical could make it worse with the sizing already in there. Too much formaldehyde can make you sick too, just ask lumber liquidators.

I know when I walk into a cloth store my nose knows! I always thought it was because of the lint, maybe it is picking up on the chemicals...hmmm

Well, this is a real stumper for me. I don't know that I can offer any advice.
                      Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

How about placing the precuts in the bathtub filled with water and detergent, soak for a while, drain, pull out the fabric, refill the tub and rinse? Or even turn on the shower to rinse? Dry by squeezing in a towel, then lay out in the air.

Comment

Well, I did a black charm pack in the washer in a netting bag and it was a mess when it was done. Kept for scraps in dog bed.
                          I think the sink/bathtub soak and towel dry may be your best bet!
                          I have allergies too. Usually pre wash anything larger than a FQ. But if it gets too bad I will gently wash a quilt top, deal with all the threads after ( can be hours of thread cutting) and then make the quilt sandwich.
                          If you have a serger, or a good overlock stitch on your machine you could serge special pieces to avoid the thread shredding. Lots of work but if the serged stitch is within the 1/4 inch seam you might salvage some special pieces.
                          Good luck!!!
                          sigpicMy friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Comment

How about a vinegar rinse - would that work?

Fill a basin with warm water, add 1/2 cup of white vinegar and let the fabric soak for a few minutes then gently swish around, then put in a basin filled with cool water and gently swish again then lay the precuts out on a towel to air dry. Then let your friend iron them for you.

As time goes on, I keep hearing more and more about allergies like this. We have had to start using soaps and detergents that are perfume free. Including dryer sheets.
                            Vonnie

Comment

May be WAY off base here but........... What about a particle mask and some medical gloves when you use the precuts? going forward, look for organic fabric to purchase? Just a thought that popped into my head. again, it may be way off base.

Good luck to you and more importantly............GOOD HEALTH!
                              Blessings!

Donna

Comment

Working...
                              X