Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: least favorite task

Originally posted by lourixe View Post
    I love FMQing and don't mind hand sewing -I even find it relaxing. I still hate ironing, but at least blocks and quilt tops don't have sleeves and cuffs to screw up.
    I got a little travel iron, with steam, Sunbeam has one and I love it for blocks. It doesn't spit out clouds of steam to burn your fingers, and with an ironing mat I can keep it next to my cutting mat and machine. I have a hard time getting up and down from my chair so it's been wonderful for me.
    Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all! :icon_wave:

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Comment

My least favorite is piecing the backing and sandwiching the layers.

Comment

I don't really have anything I don't like doing, I love it all but I used to have one that was the hardest for me and that was sandwiching and basting because I have bad knees and can't crawl on the floor anymore. But since I got my frame I don't have to do that anymore. I also saw online for people that don't have a frame to do it on ...there is an Australian company that makes a basting frame that stands up vertically...the website is verticalquiltingframe.com for anyone that might want to look at it. I also don't get frustrated trying to piece backings either, I use wide width fabric....I never piece my backs.

i
        Last edited by tnmtgrl; May 23rd, 2015, 06:36 AM.
        sigpic

"May there always be work for your hands to do"

Comment

Until this week I thought borders were my least favotite task but I have 64 corners to snowball for a Christmas table topper and am not enjoying it at all! is there a trick to getting them right?
          "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
          Hillary Clinton

Comment

My least favorite part is cutting. I have actually purchased pre cut quilt kits to avoid cutting. I used to dread the hand sewing of the binding but I have made so many this doesn't bother me anymore. When I get to the binding point I know my goal is so very close and I just keep trudging on. I don't care for doing applique. I have done machine applique and think that is cheating LOL.

I have many favorites to quilting. I like shopping for fabric, part of the nesting and gathering deep within me. The sewing and pairing of different fabrics. They laying out of the blocks to make sure two colors dont touch. Thread selection.....sandwiching the quilt is new to me and am still learning on this but I like it. I always leave one mistake in my quilts and then when I give it away I ask them to see if they can see my screw up. The internet has incouraged my hobby. I started doing this in the early 90s. I have come along way, and have a ways to go.
            Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm most intimidated by trimming the quilt sandwich - so afraid a slip of the ruler will ruin it all.

Knock on wood - it hasn't happened yet.....
              Donna

Comment

Making the binding. I hate those diagonal seams! or, they don't like me

Comment

My least favorite thing is hand sewing on the label. I make my labels on computer fabric sheets & print them off a Word document. I have several quilts waiting for labels. I don't mind the sandwiching as much as I used to. I have my technique down. I still crawl around on the carpeted fam. rm. floor (I use a pillow for my knees). Most of my quilts are crib size, so it's not a big ordeal. I used to mind hand sewing the back side of the binding, but since I started sewing the binding on by machine, it's much easier. The only quilts I hand sew the binding on now are some special gift. I enjoy seeing the finished quilt top come together. I just finished a Summer in the Park Revamped today. I was very pleased with the way the points & seams matched up. I pressed all the seams open, which helped reduce bulk. I'll post pics when it's quilted.

Comment

My favorite part is quilting. Least fave is making up my mind at the start on pattern & colors. I change my mind way too much and make too many sample blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzette View Post
                      Years ago I bought two 60" X 30" tables at Costco. They fold up for easy storage and are fairly easy to move around. I keep mine folded up in a large walk in closet in the house I am in now, but I have kept them in the garage as well in a previous home. Anyway, I simply pull them out when I need to sandwich a larger quilt, push some furniture aside and butt them together to make a 60" X 60" work surface. Sooo much easier than crawling around on the floor.
                      I used this method for the first time yesterday, what a difference, I just can't do the floor anymore. For anyone who has not seen this method there is a great video on you tube which is where I saw how to do it. No more floor for me. Some use two tables but I have only one and it works. I also have pic pipes cut for making the table higher so there is no bending over. The binder clips she uses in the video won't fit my table so I went to harbour freight and bought some large clamps .
                      Last edited by Judy Kay; May 25th, 2015, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Least favorite, sandwiching

Happiest things, piecing and hand quilting. And picking out fabric...
                        sigpicQuilter since 2013.

Comment

My least favorite part of quilting is cutting out the fabric. I have arthritis in my hands, esp. my thumbs, and it causes them to hurt so badly. I even bought the Martelli ergonomic cutter but can't quite get the hang of it. I just finished cutting over 300 strips, 16x2.5 for Bonnie Hunter's scrappy trip quilt and my arms and hands are aching!! But so happy that I am now ready to sew!!

My favorite part of quilting is hand sewing on the binding. I enjoy the peacefulness of sitting with my quilt, needle and thread. I will often sit late into the night, sewing and watching TV. My most favorite part is pulling the freshly washed quilt out of the dryer and seeing how pretty my fresh, crinkly quilt looks.

Comment

I love to pick fabrics and to piece fabrics together!

My least favourite task is ironing because it is so difficult for me to iron well as I would like to without twisting the fabric!
                            My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Comment

Originally posted by Deegles View Post

I always leave one mistake in my quilts and then when I give it away I ask them to see if they can see my screw up. The internet has incouraged my hobby. I started doing this in the early 90s. I have come along way, and have a ways to go.
                              You PUT a mistake in your quilt??? I don't have to do that...they just appear and then multiply.
                              Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                              I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Working...
                              X