flooded home - how to handle precuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flooded home - how to handle precuts

Our area recieved some flooding and some of our quilters had fabric that got wet, and they weren't home at the time. The yardage isn't a problem, they can figure out how to deal with the cleaning and determining if there is mold/mildew etc and if the fabric is salvageable or not.

But, what about precuts? One gal had jelly rolls and charms plus some HST she had cut - can these be salvaged? Won't the edges shred? I had thought perhaps place in a mesh laundry bag, then fill the bathtub, and by hand swish it back and forth gently.

Any ideas, experience, advice? Thanks.

Re: flooded home - how to handle precuts

I would definitely put them in a bag or pillow case to wash them. If that ruins them, at least she tried to save them.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Comment

It would be worth it to at least try to save some of them...

Comment

Yes, protect them as much as possible before trying to launder to cut down on the amount of fraying.
        K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Just had a thought (never have done it before) but couldn't you soak these flat in detergent in a bathtub and rinse them flat too by using one of those sweater drying racks with the mesh? Meaning rinsing them by running water through them as they are on this rack and letting them dry on the rack once they are rinsed.

Comment

I vote for Kim's suggestion. I recommend soaking in a tub. Try using an heirloom soak or someting similar made for gentle fabrics. It's important to get the pieces soaking in cold water before they start bleeding on each other. Great idea Kim for the drying rack!

My mother recently went through a flood and we were able to salvage quite a bit, after having to wait a week to be able to get to the fabric. Sorry to say, I secretly wished some of it would not have been salvagable. After 2.5 years, I'm going to visit her again this weekend, to still go through more of it, to see what I can use in charity quilts to use it up, since she doesn't sew much anymore. I see many quilts using the jelly roll race pattern.
            Karen
            Spring, TX

Comment

I would call the MSQC store and ask them before doing anything. What a disaster. I would cry. Good luck, let us know how it all works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim T View Post
                Just had a thought (never have done it before) but couldn't you soak these flat in detergent in a bathtub and rinse them flat too by using one of those sweater drying racks with the mesh? Meaning rinsing them by running water through them as they are on this rack and letting them dry on the rack once they are rinsed.
                Thanks for the great idea!

Comment

I agree with the others, that it would definitely be worth it to try to save the precuts.... Putting them in a bag to wash, is a good idea...

If some are just wet, I might lay them out to dry, press when dry, and know that they would be properly wad he'd when made into a quilt.

Best if luck... I just hate the thought of losing those ecpensive precuts...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Agitate gently with your hands in the sink with some laundry soap. Drain. Add fresh water. Agitate gently and keep repeating until the soap is gone. Hand washing will avoid all that fraying. Washing them outside in some sort of tub and then using the hose to rinse them would work too. The lazy way which I prefer is washing them inside something that is small enough that the fabric can't move around very much. Wash on gentle cyle. DO NOT use the spin cycle. Instead just wring out as much as you can by hand and then roll them in a towel to remove the excess. Hang them up to dry or lay them out flat on a dry towel.
                    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I do know washing them in the machine becomes a frayed mess!!
                      If any are big enough to serge then they could be washed in the machine ( fat quarters or larger)
                      I feel for you and this dilemma ! Fabric costs too much to have it ruined!
                      sigpicMy friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Comment

I have washed precuts that had to be due to unfortunate circumstances by placing them in a tupperware type container with warm water and a little detergent. I use Purex No Sort to help keep the colors from bleeding. Put lid on and gently shake them around, let sit and then shake again. Repeat as often as you feel is necessary to get them clean. Rinse in the same manner. I would then lie them flat on old towels and let air dry before pressing.

Hope they have success whatever method they use!
                        Donna

Comment

Years ago I read an article about washing precut fabric and the author said to use a lingerie bag(mesh bag) fill it and use the washer on gentle.
                          :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

I like that idea of using a plastic container with a secure lid and shaking them for agitation. I need to remember that one.
                            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I would put them in a laundry bag and wash them. If they get all raggedy and such, they can be used for a scrappy quilt of sorts.

At least attempt to save them.

Comment

Working...
                              X