Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wowzers! Guess who I spent the day with.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wowzers! Guess who I spent the day with.....

Leah.JPG

I attended an absolutely fantastic class by Leah Day at We're Sew Creative quilt shop in Concord, N.C today. I have often wished I could attend an actual class by her. My ability to pick up Youtube videos is limited by my cranky Internet connection (and that makes ME cranky!)

So last week I got so stressed out by attempting to FMQ a scrap Halloween quilt (made for FMQ practice), I sent an email to her website asking if she ever taught actual classes anywhere in NC.

I live at the edge of NC and am from NC originally, so I know the state pretty well. I got a prompt answer back that she had a Feathers and Fill class at Concord this Saturday. I contacted the shop and there was a place left in the class! I promptly signed up and spent the rest of the week calling myself crazy for attempting to drive 2 1/2 hours to a class. (It is at least an hour's drive to ANY quilt shop for me....)

Got up at 60 am this morning and ventured out. I hurt BOTH of my shoulders last summer and this would be the most I had driven at one time since then. AND it was cloudy and ready to rain (I don't drive well in the rain due to a vision problem). I knew where Concord was...passed there many times going to Atlanta to see DD and once upon a lifetime actually spent a summer there working in a church. Me and the GPS found the place without a problem.

The shop is really beautiful! I could have gotten into serious problems there. They have both Bernina and Babylock machines...I saw machines I had only seen in ads. I took deep breaths and resisted everything but a white marking pen. They were really friendly and nice. Had a gorgeous classroom space.

Leah was absolutely delightful! She gave me feedback on my poor "scary" FMQ on the Halloween quilt and ideas how to quilt a fall log cabin quilt I have. (I finished piecing this last fall, but couldn't decide how to quilt it. Every time I would look at it, I would think if only Leah Day could tell me how to quilt this! I showed it to her and she made some great suggestions.)

She gave us all kinds of ideas of how to do feathers...marked and FMQ. I loved her creativity. I was trying to persuade my travel machine to behave and FMQ when she came by and offered to modify my darning foot so it wouldn't hop. (This is really my darning foot for my main machine.) Now I have seen this on her website, and did not have the nerve to try it. She fixed it on the spot. Boy, what a difference! I could see better and had much improved control.

So I may never be able to make the journey (1,000 miles and plus) to Hamiliton to meet Jenny, but at least I got to NC (128 miles) to meet Leah. This is only her second class at this shop and there may be another one in July. We have all sorts of feather worksheets to practice with. Can you tell I'm excited to have had this opportunity (although it was a pitz to drive back in the pouring rain.........)?
    Last edited by Lightwriter; April 25, 2015, 03:23 PM.
    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Re: Wowzers! Guess who I spent the day with.....

Congratulations on your adventure. I'm in NC 30 miles SW of Raleigh. I have yet to explore the states quilt shops but I'd love to!!
    But I don't get away from home for very long due to DH's health issues. Let us know how your FMQ goes. I still haven't tried it yet!
    sigpicMy friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Comment

Lucky you! That is so cool! I'd love to meet her. Not much of a chance in Canada though! glad you got inspired!

Comment

What a great adventure! I would so love to go to one of her classes.

Comment

How wonderful! I can't believe there was an empty place for you to fill, lucky lucky girl!
          sigpic

Comment

I'm jealous that you got to get helped by Leah Day herself! ;-)

Her voice really relaxes me. She seems so calm about quilting.

Comment

Sounds like it was well worth the trip - even with the rain! Sometimes it is such a big help to actually 'see' somethimg done in person. Be sure to show us your halloween and the log cabin when you finish them, and tel us what Leah said!

Comment

Wow, what a fantastic opportunity for you. I am glad you braved the drive and the rain.

Sometimes all one needs is a little push to gain confidence.
                The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour

Comment

I was just in a class with Leah Day two weeks ago and absolutely love her! What a great teacher she is! She is calm and really encouraging, isn't she? I'm sure it was well worth the drive. I look forward to seeing some of your quilting!
                  Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

I don't think you're crazy at all for driving two-and-a-half hours to attend such a class. I'm glad you took the plunge!
                    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

It would be great to attend a class by Leah - glad you got to go!!
                      ***Kathy***

Comment

Isn't it interesting what we are willing to put up with and do to meet our favorite quilting gurus? Glad you got to take the class.

I took last Wednesday off work to attend a workshop with Cindy Needham. I was SOOOOO excited and it was SOOOOO worth playing hooky.
                        Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
                        Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

Originally posted by Lightwriter View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]107998[/ATTACH]
                          She gave us all kinds of ideas of how to do feathers...marked and FMQ. I loved her creativity. I was trying to persuade my travel machine to behave and FMQ when she came by and offered to modify my darning foot so it wouldn't hop. (This is really my darning foot for my main machine.) Now I have seen this on her website, and did not have the nerve to try it. She fixed it on the spot. Boy, what a difference! I could see better and had much improved control.
                          I spent yesterday modifying my darning foot according to her YouTube demonstration. I got the cuts made to convert the clear plastic into an "open toe". That is a vast improvement. But when it came to eliminating the hopping, I got into big trouble and had to undo the bending of the metal pin at the top. And the elastic hair band only made everything worse. If the foot doesn't hop up, I can't smoothly move my quilt sandwich under the foot. The fabric catches and drags on the underside of the toe. I did sand it smooth after cutting it, so it isn't that. It's the spring applying downward pressure. I don't see a way to modify my pressure on the presser foot. So I had to bend the metal pin as straight as I could and reinsert it.

You mention seeing better so I'm wondering if she stopped at cutting open the toe. Did she bend your pin back and rubber band it? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X