Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You ever Have this conversation with yourself????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do You ever Have this conversation with yourself????

I have pieced (perfectly in my opinion lol) the charmbox quilt with tonga treats charm packs I had. It was a just for me lap quilt. I decided to fmq long curvy lines spaced half inch apart..marked my first line and used walking foot to continue following the first line...WELLL...this is how the conversation goes...Halfway through I check and ..oh crap this is not good ..lines are really wonky...the "other me" says oh well it does not matter...once it is washed you won't even notice... "Me" Oh yes I will it looks like crap..".Other me"..its just for you who will even notice when you are snuggled under it watching tv... Well ok ...no... I must rip and redo..."other me" are you kidding..all that time and thread wasted....Stay tuned!!!!..I walked away to ponder my decision and here I am. .Val

Re: Do You ever Have this conversation with yourself????

oh my goodness, I did that not long ago with a quilt, it was half done! The OCD me won!

Comment

Gee, just had this conversation with myself today. Struggling with attempting to FMQ a Halloween quilt. Mixed results. The OCD me was going nuts; the practical me was "this is just a Halloween scrap quilt; get over it." The practical me won this time....BUT the moment I have a decent quilt, I am thinking I will hire a LAQ. I just don't think I will ever get good enough to FMQ a really nice quilt...
      Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Comment

Val, LOL, yes, think most of us do!

Mine is more like the "Ebbil Twin" jabbing me with a sharp elbow and saying, "Seriously?!?! You're gonna leave that like that?" Response, "I don't know, jury is still out." ET - "Well you really need to get your act together if that's going to someone." Me - Yeah, well Miss High, Mighty and Opinionated, I don't see YOU sewing this thing, having it wrapped around your neck, and stuffing it thru the machine!" ET - "Hmmmm well pardon me for pointing out that it isn't really very acceptable." Me - "It's mine, and once it's washed, no one will ever know!" ET - (nose in air) Well, if that's what you want, just saying, you'll see that every time you use it." Me = "Ummmmm, get on a horse, ride past me at a gallop and tell where the mistakes are, then we'll talk!" ET - dead silence.

As someone once so famously said ( and I quote............pssst her initials were SHIRLEY ) "Your quilt, your rules!
        What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Comment

I for one think the random wavy lines makes a quilt look really cool and the added bonus is you just don't have to worry about it.

I had to go find a picture of the first one I did that way. I had so much fun doing it and it went pretty fast.

K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

Oh yeah I do it all the time. I am in the process of ripping out a quilt that was 3/4 quilted....just because I don't like my thread choice....well I don't really like the quilting choice either.

Your quilt, your rules

*lmao - Carrie, about 1/2 way through your reply I was wondering where you would put that*
            Shirley aka buckeyequilter
            I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Your quilt, your rules

*lmao - Carrie, about 1/2 way through your reply I was wondering where you would put that*[/QUOTE]

laughing hyena.jpg
              What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Comment

I like that wonky look. To me it is so artsy looking! Try to resist the urge to rip it all apart!! I finished a quilt top today and when I was pressing it I noticed one of the blocks didn't quite match the seam above it, was off maybe less than a quarter inch. Of course it was a block in the middle of the quilt and in the middle of a row. I studied it hard with the seam ripper in hand. And you know what? I left it that way!! I figured it's made by a person not a machine so naturally it isn't perfect. Also, even though I noticed it, it is not really that noticeable in the quilt as a whole. Lastly I did not rip it out because all the other blocks lined up almost exactly--and have you ever ripped something out on a do-over only to end up with a worse disaster? Well I have and it is not fun. So I would say leave it alone and just finish it up. You will learn to love it mistakes and all.

Comment

I can't count the number of stitches I took out because I let my other mind talk me into it
                  The best kind of sleep beneath Heaven above/ Is under a quilt, handmade with love

Comment

I suggest no more conversations with yourself! We are our worst critic. And most of the time, it is because we are way to close to the project to really look at it objectively. In those FEW times when we really have done a bad job, it can be considered another learning experience. (Aren't all our projects learning experiences?)
                    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

My hat's off to those who struggle with FMQ. The only way I would even consider it is if I have the proper tools. Since I can't bring myself to spend money on a sit-down long-arm I'll stick to the walking foot and the embroidery machine. 95% of what I make I give as gifts. It's gotta look good in my eyes. I refuse to screw up a quilt with lousy quilting and that's what it would be coming from me. I don't want to take time away from quilting to practice and I'm too lazy to shove a quilt through the harp of my machine. I see quilters having success at this and I'm amazed at the patience these folks have to do this type of work on their regular machine.
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Yes! Yes! Yes! I have a quilt - in the closet so I don't have to look at it - that I need to rip out because I do not like what I started doing. I quit about 1/5 of the way done. It still talks to me - but I've been busy and able to ignore it.
                        ***Kathy***

Comment

Oh yeah.. All...The...Time! I did that when I FMQ'd my tree skirt. I screwed up in several areas and really hated it, but my other side said "Who cares - it will be on the floor under the tree with presents on top - no one will know." That side won.
                          sigpicCarolyn

Comment

Yes! I really find myself irritating sometimes lol!

Found myself doing that and hated it. So I talked to myself rather sterile and said cut it out or figure it out, but don't keep complaining to me and going on about it! I may have rolled my eyes at myself.

Command decision: If I find myself going on about it, my rule is fix it now. If I can tell myself it's good enough and I can artistically work with it, leave it alone and finish and enjoy it. This has worked well for me since last week!

I sincerely hope you're not sitting there with your seam ripper right now, I. Sure it will look just fine when finished.

Comment

Originally posted by inspired View Post
                              Stay tuned!!!!..I walked away to ponder my decision and here I am. .Val
                              How do we know its really you? I am having one of those conversations today but nobodys home. I think your quilt will look great no matter how you decide to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X