Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No room in house to quilt or sew...so where to sew?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No room in house to quilt or sew...so where to sew?!

I have no room in my house to sew. I would like a place to leave up sewing machine, cutting table, ironing board, store fabric, etc., etc., etc! My garage is full of my husband's stuff. I have seriously considered renting a storage spot to have a place to sew with everything set up. Has anyone ever heard of a place divided into several different workrooms where each person could rent a room and keep all their sewing stuff there (locked up of course) and come there to work on their projects? Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for any responses!

Re: No room in house to quilt or sew...so where to sew?!

Welcome to the board! I'm interested to see what everyone replies on this question.
    I have a small ranch home and until one of the kids move out, I currently use the dining room table for cutting and sewing. The mats and rulers are in my bedroom along with current projects and the rest of it is in a huge metal cabinet in the basement. DH gave me a desk downstairs but it's too cold to stay down there for long.

Hugs,
    quilting trish
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I'm a closet quilter. I have a closet that has double doors , and hubby made a desk top that runs the width of the space, shelves line both sides and I have plenty of storage space under the desk and on the shelves. I have peg board hanging on the back wall. I use a screw driver holder for my scissors, and hooks (all designed to use with peg board) to hold my rulers, rotary cutters, etc)
      I still use the dining room table to cut, and when I'm not using the matts, they also hang inside the closet.
      I can leave my machine out all the time, and push my chair in and close the doors when I'm not sewing.
      Today, I made a table top ironing board (loved that tutorial!) that I now have next to my machine so I dont have to drag out the big board to iron seams with.

I have to make do with my closet until my kids are grown and leave home so I can claim a bedroom for my own.

I like the idea of renting a storage unit for sewing, that would be lots of space or even renting a small house (can share expenses with friends) designated just for sewing/crafts. My only probelm with that is I am an insomniac and do a lot of midnight sewing and wouldnt want to leave home to do it.
      ~Mary
      As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

I am grateful because I sew in a sunroom that is 15x15 right off the kitchen and everyone knows it's momma room... overlooking my back yard. My hubby always tells me when we move I will have a bigger and better room... LOL My sewing tables and machines line the walls in the shape of a U... :mrgreen:

Comment

I would sell my first-born for a sun room sewing room!! (Not really sell him, but I'd rent him out...lol) I would even take a window-less room as long as it's bigger than my closet!! LOL One day, my kids will all move out and I'll have the space....for now, I will use my closet and be happy that I have it!!!

How do you store your fabric so the sun doesnt bleach it? I made the mistake once of using a quilt rack and put it to close to a window and the sun bleached 1/4 of the quilt....luckily, it was a store bought quilt and not one that had any sentimental value.
          ~Mary

Comment

I have taken over one of the bedrooms in my house and turned it into a "craft room", now I'm just waiting for my youngest son to move out so I can take over his room. For now, I still have to sew on the kitchen table. I have a cutting table set up in my craft room but it's starting to lean to the right. I need one that's sturdier. The one I bought is one of those cheap models sold at your local craft store. Thought it was great, but it sure hasn't lasted very long. Of course, the cat sitting on the right corner hasn't helped it any. I don't know what it is about that table but the cat loves to sit on it. I have to use one of those lint rollers to pick up the cat hair before I use it. In fact, it's a good tool to pick up tiny fabric pieces and thread. So, it serves double duty. I dream about the "dream sewing room" and hope one day I'll wake up and the dream will be a reality.

ak3e
            "she who dies with the most fabric, wins"
            ak3e
            "she who dies with the most fabric, wins!"

Comment

I sew in a corner of my hubby's home office. We bought a cheap table from Ikea for $40 and that's where I sew. It's good for right now because we don't have a lot of space in our house and I can be in the same room as my husband and keep each other company while we work late into the night. One day I want my own sewing room with ironing table, large cutting mat and piles and piles of fabric.

Comment

Thanks for all the great responses! I see that I am not alone in my desire for a dedicated "sewing room."
                CR Kirk

Comment

After spending all morning trying to figure out how to use my son's new camera (mine bit the dust today...RIP Samsung) I finally got a few pictures of my sewing closet. I should have cleaned the desk off, but I made the mess and I'll own up to it. ops:

Of course, when I have a major project (binding a quilt, etc)to do that requires more room than what I have, the machine does come out to the dining room table for awhile. I like my little set-up, even if it is small.

Its my own little world....

I have my table top ironing board to the right of my machine...great tutorial and easy to follow directions on how to make it!

The closet started out being for many crafts, but has since been dedicated just for sewing. I still have a few containers with craft things in them, and as soon as I get them cleaned out, I'll have more room for building up my stashes!! LOL
                  ~Mary

Comment

What and AWESOME use of space!! That is a great closet.....
                    Michele

Comment

We converted our guest room closet into an office. Completely convertible back to a closet. Love it!

I use a corner of my bedroom where I set up a 6x6 space...Also use my kitchen and dining areas when i really have a big project going on. I also have a card table and one of those corrugated cutting surfaces if I decide to use my bed as a table...

how about one of those office armoires? surely you can adapt one of those...

My stepdaughter wants one of those cute storage buildings that look like a dollhouse for her backyard to use as a studio... if your zoning restrictions allow it, try it. Right now she has a door on two sawhorse as her major work surface.
                      "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

Comment

My goodness we have some creative women here! If you're really looking for a seperate space you can probably rent a small temperature controlled storage unit, though I don't know if they have electrical outlets :? Honestly even with cramped quarters I think it would be better to figure something out at home because then you don't have to plan when you can go sew!

I spent years cutting and sewing on the dining room table then spent a couple years in a closet like mrswindy! It was fantastic! Only enough room to sit and store stuff but that's what I needed! I have a sewing room now that I wouldn't trade for anything (unless it was bigger ) but I'm still always looking to improve on it! Shelves, closets, etc. Oh well! Find something, some space, the end of a table, whatever. Maybe it won't always stay out, but it will be available to you and that's what counts!
                        To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

I have sewn on the kitchen table, the dining room table and currently I placed my machine under my bedroom window in an antique sewing cabinet ( old singer) so I can gaze out the winder at the trees and flowers, snow in the winter. I love the light and have a room in my basement I can take over, but I prefer to be around the family and my cats. It can be tricky when I work on large pieces, but I just work it out.
                          I do love the idea of a sewing closet though, great tip.

Comment

I don't know how big the area is where you live but I know where my Brother lives in Albuquerque, NM, his wife was able to rent a space for her photography in a co-op that was run by artists. Maybe you could check with an artists guild or something like that? Wouldn't it be nice to have an area for quilters with diferent work spaces and and a long arm machine and frame to rent time on? I would have to say though that I am glad I have room to have my area at home. I would hate to leave to work on my quilting.

Comment

I have a small cubby area in my bedroom where I store all of my fabric and supplies, and use my dining room table for cutting and sewing. I have a small ironing board that was my grandmother's that just sits on the table, so i don't have to pull out my full size ironing board. with 3 little ones, i don't get to pull stuff out very much, because then they all have to be right there grabbing and "helping" lol! Right now i'm working on finishing a cheater pillow that my grandmother had started and couldn't finish because her Alzheimer's got too bad. It has to be done by June 12th, cause i'm giving it to my brother for his birthday, so he can have something that grandma worked on.

Comment

Working...
                              X