Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Here!!! I had no where else to turn! Fabric suggestions :) In-the-Hoop!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Here!!! I had no where else to turn! Fabric suggestions :) In-the-Hoop!!

Hi All,
    My name is Shella and I do have another Thread up and a lot of you have been Great and answered my questions! I hope that no-one finds this to be offensive to talk about. I am pretty new here and I just need some help!! I hope I can post these questions on here as well???? I am making some Baby quilts for my Niece who is about to have twins
    When I was speaking with my Niece she asked me if I can make her some Nursing Pads?? I did find some Nursing Designs that I can do In-the-Hoop but I have hit a brick wall on what types of fabrics I need to use????
    Some say to use "Minky" against the skin but how absorbable is "Minky" fabric? Their are so many other suggestions on-line but I am just so confused on what fabrics "Thin" "Absorbable" I really need to use
    From what I have read is to use PUL Fabric and cover that with some fleece so they don't slip in the bra for the outside. So here is where I am really stuck What Type of soft fabric do I use thats absorbable and soft for against the skin that doesn't feel wet? Is "Minky really good for this? Also, the inner fabric that absorbs well but yet thin enough to sew and not feel bulky or gets bulked up after washing?
    I am limited to Joann Fabrics to get the Fabrics I need for this project however I can order some on-line its just that she is going to be having these babies in the next couple of weeks so I want to get them made and sent to her as soon as I can Ugh!
    If their is anyone with any suggestions it would be greatly Appreciated!
    Shella

Re: Newbie Here!!! I had no where else to turn! Fabric suggestions In-the-Hoop!!

I doubt anyone will be offended. Sorry I don't know, but sounds like your plan would work. Maybe someone else has experience.

Congrats on the double blessing!
    Donna

Comment

Re: Newbie Here!!! I had no where else to turn! Fabric suggestions In-the-Hoop!!

Several layers of flannel - but a good quality flannel. Not certain you'll find that at JoAnns . . .
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I was going to say flannel as well. Minky or Cuddle fabric is polyester and I doubt it is very absorbent.

I know Joann's used to sell some higher quality flannel (not the regular Snuggle Flannel that they have) and referred to it as Quilter's Flannel. If all you have to choose from is Joann's, at least make an attempt to buy the better flannel.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

I made some last year for my niece and used good quality flannel from my lqs. She loved them, I also made some peepee teepees for her.

Comment

Why does she not want to use the disposable ones?

Comment

Originally posted by ejgilly View Post
              I made some last year for my niece and used good quality flannel from my lqs. She loved them, I also made some peepee teepees for her.
              That's so nice! So I guess the flannel (Quilters Flannel) is pretty thin? I am just not used to working with flannel So I guess using the flannel "Against the Skin" works well to and she won't feel the wetness? Thank you for your response!
              Shella

Comment

Flannel is the best for softness and absorption. Since you can only buy from Joann's, please prewash and dry it a couple times before making the pads. The flannel may shrink and fade a lot but since the pads won't be seen, then fading isn't that big of a deal. Several layers of flannel will make it pretty absorbent.

While Minky is soft to touch, it isn't all that absorbent.

But, that all said, good quality flannel is SOOOOOOOOOOO much better than the flannel from JoAnn's. Thicker and softer. Maybe make a couple with Joann's flannel and then order some better quality flannel for some more. I love Maywood Studios Flannel.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverMomm View Post
                  Flannel is the best for softness and absorption. Since you can only buy from Joann's, please prewash and dry it a couple times before making the pads. The flannel may shrink and fade a lot but since the pads won't be seen, then fading isn't that big of a deal. Several layers of flannel will make it pretty absorbent.

While Minky is soft to touch, it isn't all that absorbent.

But, that all said, good quality flannel is SOOOOOOOOOOO much better than the flannel from JoAnn's. Thicker and softer. Maybe make a couple with Joann's flannel and then order some better quality flannel for some more. I love Maywood Studios Flannel.
                  Thank you for your reply! I think I will have to order what you are suggesting. I think she will be happy even if she gets them a little bit late! So I am guessing the flannel will pull the wetness away from the skin????
                  Shella

Comment

The nicest flannel you can find, a couple layers of that even just serged into rounds works nicely for catching boob leakage
                    ( I used some soft velcro spots just to be sure they'd stay put but that's probably a bit of overkill).
                    I did the same thing to make washable undercarriage pads (soaked down in a little witch hazel and stuck in the freezer... omigosh good for after the birthing day) Think wider and longer than usual heavy overnight options with wings. Just soft velcro on the wing bits so they overlap on the outside of panties (If washables aren't her cup of tea for that holymoley a few overnight pads soaked down with witchhazel and frozen are amazing (helps cut down on the afterburn...))
                    Wash the heck out of the flannel before you start.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYarnmaiden View Post
                      The nicest flannel you can find, a couple layers of that even just serged into rounds works nicely for catching boob leakage
                      ( I used some soft velcro spots just to be sure they'd stay put but that's probably a bit of overkill).
                      I did the same thing to make washable undercarriage pads (soaked down in a little witch hazel and stuck in the freezer... omigosh good for after the birthing day) Think wider and longer than usual heavy overnight options with wings. Just soft velcro on the wing bits so they overlap on the outside of panties (If washables aren't her cup of tea for that holymoley a few overnight pads soaked down with witchhazel and frozen are amazing (helps cut down on the afterburn...))
                      Wash the heck out of the flannel before you start.
                      Thank you for your response My Niece who is having the twins is having a C-Sec but I wish I would have known about the undercarriage idea when I was having my babies
                      Shella

Comment

Originally posted by Shella View Post
                        Thank you for your reply! I think I will have to order what you are suggesting. I think she will be happy even if she gets them a little bit late! So I am guessing the flannel will pull the wetness away from the skin????
                        I don't think the flannel will pull the wetness away from the skin. It will still be damp. Several layers of flannel will work best. I don't really know of a fabric that will totally keep the moisture away and still be comfortable. Comfort-yeah, that is important. But good flannel will be soft, and a lot of the moisture will be pulled into the layers. She will probably need several sets, especially at first.

Burp pads made with good flannel is a big hit with new moms too!

Comment

Fat quarter shop has really cute flannel in their flash sale today for a great price...
                          https://www.fatquartershop.com/flash-sale

Comment

My granddaughter called me the other day and asked If I could cut and sew some real diapers to use for her leakage problem. She used some of the embroidered burp cloths for leakage. and said they were so comfortable, but bulky. I got the diapers at Walmart.

Comment

I would use several layers of terry cloth. In fact I would skip Jo Ann's and buy a nice fluffy bath towel at Target and cut that up. You could line it with Microfiber, that is pretty absorbent.

Comment

Working...
                              X