• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Advice from a Singer Sewing Manual” 1949

“Advice from a Singer Sewing Manual” 1949

“Prepare yourself mentally for sewing.
    Think about what you are going to do.
    Never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically.
    Good results are difficult when indifference predominates.
    Never try to sew with a sink full of dirty dishes or beds unmade.
    When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do these first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing.
    When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible.
    Put on a clean dress.
    Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals.
    Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on.
    If you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home, and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing.”

(as prescribed by Tater Patch Quilts, Merrill, Oregon)
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Re: “Advice from a Singer Sewing Manual” 1949

Too funny....but a little true. "Never try to sew with a sink full of dishes or beds unmade." I wondered all my life where my mom got that! She could never sit down and sew if there were any little chores that needed doing first. Both my sister and I are that way now. BUT.....the wearing lipstick part......really..????????? I would have a mess on all those pins I have a horribly bad habit of putting in my mouth! Thanks for sharing. You always make me smile!

Comment

OMG, how Stepford Wives is that!? Scary that we even thought that was "normal" once.
      Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
      Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Comment

Sandy this is priceless....lipstick, really? Not anywhere near my quilting fabric.

Somewhere I have an old manual on how to be a good wife...it included the husbands right to take a birch switch to the wife if she did not meet his expectations. Sorry but it's comfy clothes and no makeup for me and dishes?, what dishes!
        Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

That's the way I do it....especially the French chalk, powder, dress and lipstick!!!!!LOL (really loud)
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Undoubtedly written by a man ...
            K is for Karen 😊​..................
            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

Heck, lucky if I twist my hair into a rooster twist, fresh yoga pants and tank top. But the French Chalk...right next to the machine!
              sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

Originally posted by HandsOffItsMine View Post
                But the French Chalk...right next to the machine!
                Yep, remember back then no air conditioning, of course 'ladies' did not sweat, nor did they perspire, but they did 'glow'. Now you wouldn't want that 'glow' to leave marks on the fabric, the chalk was to absorb any 'glow' they may have had on their fingers.
                Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

how about pyjamas and bare feet, my best work is done at the end of the day after a relaxing shower.
                  Find my creations on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/tinabartondesigns

Comment

Some of it still applies today, especially the clear mind = good sewing result.
                    Regarding make-up etc. I think that is up to anyone, but has nothing to do with sewing.
                    sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

Ohhh this made me giggle, funny though I cant sit down and relax at the sewing machine until all those little chores are done either. Been thinking I need to get up a couple of hours earlier just to get those jobs out of the way so I can have some sewing time............
                      Wendy
                      A creative mess is better than tidy idleness
                      https://facebook.com/WendyJQuilts

Comment

They missed a bit out!

"Always have the chores of; 1.Evening meal prepared, 2.Children's "after school snacks" ready and 3.Your husband's slippers warming by the fire, just in case you lose track of time and forget to do them."

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.-Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

OMG...too funny. Thanks Sandy.

SuziQue I'm right there with you with the pins in my mouth. Now I know i have some lipstick somewhere...
                          ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Oh my that made me giggle. Have shared it with some fellow crafty folk

I'm a terrible housewife, my house is chaos, I try to blame it on my 3 children but in reality its mostly me!!

Comment

For me, I have to do my "chores" before I can start sewing. I have to have a "clear mind". Lipstick? I rarely wear it anyway much less while quilting!

Comment

Working...
                              X