help! janome 8900 tension problem fmq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help! janome 8900 tension problem fmq

I have the blue dot bobbin. Worked fine the last time I used it. Now NO. Anyone who has one, what do you set your upper tension on? I have worked on this for three days. I am so frustrated. rewound bobbin, new needle, cleaned the bobbin case, rethreaded the top thread, tried different thread, had a drink. Tried to fmq again. No go. Bobbin thread always appears on top.
    Peggy:icon_hug:

Re: help! janome 8900 tension problem fmq

I bought the blue dot bobbin case for my 8900 and returned it because I could not get it to fit right. I read on the package that it was not compatible with a certain feature on that machine. I would suggest using the bobbin case that came with the machine. Hope this is helpful to you.
    Last edited by goofyizzy; December 14th, 2014, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I have no problem with the bobbin fitting, it sits in there just fine.

Comment

Janome does not recommend using the the blue dot for this machine. Did you try the red dot that came with the machine?
        The best kind of sleep beneath Heaven above/ Is under a quilt, handmade with love

Comment

Originally posted by Terry L View Post
          Janome does not recommend using the the blue dot for this machine. Did you try the red dot that came with the machine?
          Yes I did. Still not good for FMQ.

Comment

I just looked at their website at the Janome 8900 and they have the blue dot bobbin case as an optional accessory.
            "Bobbin Holder for free motion quilting # 200445007 MC8900, Horizon Memory Craft 12000, Horizon Memory Craft 15000v2, MC11000, MC9900, MC8200, JNH7700, MC6600P, Skyline S5, Horizon Memory Craft 15000 V2 " They also have one for the 7700 with a different part number.

Comment

I am very new to FMQing, so take my advice with a grain of salt. The first quilt I did great but the second one was a big pain. I finally figured out that it was the thread. Even tho it was the same brand as before, it was a different color. Top was one color and bobbin was different color. I wouldn't normally think that would be an issue but it WAS.

After walking away again for a while, go back and put in a new needle (you just never know when you get a bad needle), new type of thread on both top and bobbin and see what happens.

I have the best luck with Aurifil on the top and bottom or Aurifil on top and 60 weight in bobbin. It wasn't Aurifil that caused my problems with the second quilt, it was a different brand.

Good luck.

Comment

60 weight bobbin thread will solve your problem. Always use bobbin thread for free motion quilting. Since you are obviously using different colors of thread in the bobbin than on top, try making a quilt sandwich and work on that. 60 weight thread is very light weight and the top thread will pull it to the bottom.

Comment

I do not have the same type of machine but one thing that seems to help my fmq is using a thread stand rather than using the spool pin on the machine. Maybe having the thread travel further might make a difference.

Comment

I do use a thread stand and I use Aurifil 50 wt in the bobbin & top. I have gone through 5 - fat quarter sandwiches. Trying it al. Than you all for your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegger View Post
                      I do use a thread stand and I use Aurifil 50 wt in the bobbin & top. I have gone through 5 - fat quarter sandwiches. Trying it al. Than you all for your suggestions.
                      Hi Pegger. I've got the Janome 8200 and FMQ with it on a regular basis. I think the 8200 and 8600 are the same base model just with tweaks. It's a bit of a long post but...

I did exactly the same as you - quilted one quilt with no problems, did some piecing and then went back and...eye lash central. I use Isacord and a thread stand. I rethreaded the machine, bobbin, changed quilt sandwiches, changed thread, cleaned out the guts of my machine. nothing. I Youtubed, checked my manual, went onto forums - nada.

I was seriously ready to chuck the thing out the window.

I did manage to fix it eventually but you're probably going to have the same reaction I did to the solution - re-threading. I know, you've done that right? Probably numerous times.

After I'd have a break ( and some liquor) I thought logically about the problem. I hadn't changed my technique so it couldn't be that. The machine was the same. My needle was fresh. My tension settings hadn't changed. So it must have been something I did differently between the first FMQ, piecing and now. The change was that I'd swapped threads so had rethreaded my machine (I use Aurifil for piecing, Isocord for quilting - the quilt police can kiss my shiny metal machine..).

I pulled all my thread out of the machine, switched the light off and went to bed. The next day, I rethreaded the machine as if I was starting afresh (presser foot up, setting 1, feed dogs down) and trying to pretend yesterday hadn't happened. I might have whistled to lull Naomi the Janome into a false sense of security. The little b*stard worked. I couldn't believe it.

I still have no idea which tension disc is missed or why I missed it repeatedly (maybe it was stuck). But it honestly was a threading issue.

Had that not worked, Naomi would have been going to the shop for maintenance.

I'm not sure if this helps Peggers but you're not alone!

Comment

Hi did you get this resolved? I just started using an 8900 and everything was fine until I switched to Aurifil on the top. Can't use the autocut button now - really aggravating! Changed my needle recently but I'm going to do it again and rethread every thread for good measure. Just wondering how you resolved your issue. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X