Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminder- Clean your machines!

Hi,
    I noticed my machine looked 'flinty' and I managed to clean out all this fluff from in and under the bobbin area. It had a proper service and clean back early this year.
    How often do you 'clean out ' the fluff?IMG_2004.JPG
    I undid a few screws and was able to get in a bit more to clean underneath- warning to those who have not done this before though, make a note of what goes where. I was left with an extra screw at end, too me a few min to notice where it was suppose to go. Would not recommend taking it apart too much, esp if you have a fancy machine.

Re: Reminder- Clean your machines!

I must admit to being a clean freak only when it comes to my machine. I clean it out after each project and after a long sew, I also change the needle.
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I clean mine every few hours, after two bobbins or if I see lint on the needle. Also change the needle after about 15 hours of straight sewing or after making a purse. My dealer showed me a picture of a machine that was only two months old and had stopped working. The woman never cleaned the bobbin area and the inside of the machine was completely packed with lint. Yep, I clean it a lot.
      Ann

Comment

That piece of the machine slides off on my new machine so it is not hard to clean. I take it off after finishing projects and give it a quick cleaning.

Comment

I clean my machines often. I clean the machine I use for quilting after every project so it's ready for the next one.
          *~* Myrna *~*
          *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Remember this one ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkkl...VFDHmDXqCIzuAw

I must admit I am not so good at cleaning my machine. Make a mental note to be better at this.

Have a nice day/Evening
            sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
            The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
            A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
            And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

I brush out my bobbin area each time I change bobbin and clean the machine at the end of the day.
              Bernice :icon_wave:

Comment

I have a long slim but fairly stiff brush that reaches the less accessable spaces. I keep the bristles slightly oily so it picks up more.

Comment

My Babylock has a top loading bobbin. I have to clean after every bobbin rewind. Pipe cleaners are very cheap and easy to use. The lint clings to it. Bought a package (I think a dozen) for 99cents at Joann's.

If I'm working with flannel, I have to clean under the bobbin area about halfway through the bobbin thread. Flannel is very linty.

On the other hand, my Juki has the bobbin on the side. Every once in a while I will check to see how much lint is down there, but the main thing about the Juki is keeping it oiled.

I have gotten into the habit of completely re-threading the upper thread every time I change bobbins. Then do a test sew. Found out the hard way that thread gets wonky if I don't.
                  Vonnie

Comment

Oh, my...I'm going to check ALL my machines today. I'll be starting a new project and this will be first on the list.
                    Thank you, thank you, thank you.
                    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                    Aesop

Comment

I clean mine after every project and change the needle too. I wasn't that way with my old machine but with this new one I turned over a new leaf.
                      ♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ~Debbie~♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
                      -:- Circumstances, often you can’t change them. It’s about choice. Some people say “under the circumstances”. I choose to be “on top of the circumstances.” -:-

Pinterest

Comment

I clean mine each day before sewing.

Comment

I clean the bobbin area after every 1-2 bobbin changes. It depends on if I'm straight stitching or working with flannel or FMQ. I change the needle after each quilting project, or if it starts to sound thumpy. When I was sewing on fabric with metallic in it, I had to change the needle before I finished the project. Those pipe cleaners work great. I bought my pkt. at Hobby Lobby. I cut them in half; they're easier to manipulate. If the end gets dirty, I just cut it off with scissors (not good sewing scissors!) & keep on using it . Never, ever blow into the bobbin compartment or used canned air! That's a big no-no. JCY

Comment

I clean with every bobbin change and change my needle (titanium Topstitch from Superior) every other project as they last twice as long as a regular needle. I use at least one of my machines every day and that lint piles up quickly no matter how good your thread is. Using Superior thread produces the least amount of lint (can you tell I'm a fan?) also Aurifil. But use whatever kind your machine likes and fits with your project. That's my advice, for what it's worth.
                            Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
                              If I'm working with flannel, I have to clean under the bobbin area about halfway through the bobbin thread. Flannel is very linty.

I just had an AHHHH! moment! Thanks for the reminder about cleaning more often with linty fabric! I have been working with flannel also.
                              Cathryn

Comment

Working...
                              X