Click bag cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click bag cost

I made a little click bag for a friend and now she wants me to make a bunch for her for Christmas gifts, and she is insisting on paying me to do them. I am totally in the dark as to how to price them. Sometimes I use scraps, but sometimes I buy special material - any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Click bag cost

Let her buy the tape measure, fabrics, thread and other things needed to make them. Then all you need to do is figure your labor costs.

Cutting the tape measure and rounding the edges, cutting out all the parts, sewing, etc. I'd say it would come out to at least $5.00 a bag for labor.
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
      Cutting the tape measure and rounding the edges, cutting out all the parts, sewing, etc. I'd say it would come out to at least $5.00 a bag for labor.
      How long you figure it takes to make such a bag? 20 minutes? Otherwise, that's quite a measly hourly wage...

Even if you take fabric from your stash, you still had to pay for it at some point, so should she!

I'd suggest that she join you for an afternoon and you show here how to sew them herself.

Comment

I made 9 of them for gifts for a friend to give at Christmas last year. I only charged her $5.00 a bag - too low, I know, as I supplied everything I used. However, I think it depends on what kind of a friend she is. This gal takes me to work and brings me home in the winter anytime it snows, sleets, etc. or even if it is called for. She did give me an extra $10-$15 so that was nice. I was happy to help her out though.

If I were selling them at a craft fair, I probably would have charged about $8. or $9. a bag. Not a lot more from the $5. but I really don't think people would pay more than that for those bags around here.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
        http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
        http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

There is actually a calulator for this. Isn't there one for everything? lol
          Crafts Calculator
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Cool calculator.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
              Let her buy the tape measure, fabrics, thread and other things needed to make them. Then all you need to do is figure your labor costs.

I like this idea. That way she can help pick the colors of the fabric. And for some, it is eye opening for how much the materials cost.

Comment

Sorry, but I have to ask. What's a click bag?

Comment

Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
                  Sorry, but I have to ask. What's a click bag?
                  it's usually called a snap bag
                  How to make a Mini Snap Bag - Quilting Tips & Techniques 138 - YouTube
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

Ah! thanks. Cute idea!

Comment

Wow!! According to that calculator I should get $24 for a pillowcase. Now I know there's a sucker born every minute but I can't think of any off the top of my head that would pay that much for a pillowcase unless it was filled with gold.
                      Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

Originally posted by Leah53 View Post
                        Wow!! According to that calculator I should get $24 for a pillowcase. Now I know there's a sucker born every minute but I can't think of any off the top of my head that would pay that much for a pillowcase unless it was filled with gold.
                        When I was selling my little Hawaiian dresses on Etsty I was getting $34 for a size four toddler. I was thinking of doing quilts but people spend more more money on clothes. They will spend on a skirt or dress but not on a quilt. Go figure.
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Nice little app there Lorie! And as it is handcrafted, and if she supplies the materials, minimum wage fees at least for your labor. If you supply it, figure any shipping fees, travel expense if you drive to get the supplies. For any custom work that you yourself order, be it a craft or from a service company, these fees are integrated into the bid/final costs. Plus a safety percentage as well, that can range from 15 to 25%. Things aren't cheap these days. Don't cut yourself short, your time, your effort.
                          What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Comment

If you enlarge the pieces, they make a great bag for little girls too. I made two that were about 12x12" maybe. It was big enough for the one girl to put in an activity book and markers after her tonsillectomy and the other little girl used hers for her Bible.
                            Just a thought for Christmas gifts.
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                            http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                            http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                              When I was selling my little Hawaiian dresses on Etsty I was getting $34 for a size four toddler. I was thinking of doing quilts but people spend more more money on clothes. They will spend on a skirt or dress but not on a quilt. Go figure.
                              I know what you mean.

If you find an exotic name for the pillowcase it will go for more than just calling it a pillowcase, go figure, I guess it's all about marketing.
                              Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

Working...
                              X