How fix small hole in quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How fix small hole in quilt

Hello quilters. I just completed a baby quilt top. While I was ironing the completed top I noticed a small hole in one of my blocks, near a seam. I think I made this hole after ripping a seam but I never noticed it until now. What is the best way to fix this? It's small, just a puncture from the seam ripper, but I don't want to give this quilt as a gift with a hole in it. I'm an inexperienced sewer and have no clue what to do. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!!

Hilary

Re: How fix small hole in quilt

I'm assuming that you've quilted the top already - is that correct? I can think of several things - you could add an applique that coordinated with the quilt, add some buttons and strategically place one over the spot. Wet the spot and steam press it and the fibers may come back together. Use a back and forth zig-zag stitch of the same color back and forth over the hole . . . Attach a gift tag with a safety pin. Put a pocket of the same fabric over the top and place a rattle or small toy in it for the baby.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Oooh, those are great ideas. No, I haven't quilted the top yet. Maybe I can go over the spot with some extra quilting?

Comment

If none of Sandy's tricks work, you can try a small dot of Fray Check. JoAnne's sells this and it will keep the fabric from continuing to fray at the hole. It drys pretty clear, but use as little as needed.
        When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

If you can't replace the block of fabric, maybe try ironing a bit of fusible interfacing on the back to reinforce the spot? Just a small piece, kinda like a little fabric band-aid.
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

Haha you girls are quick, all these things went through my mind when I read the title but you neat me to it. I would just add though that buttons may not be good if it is a baby quilt and since it is not quilted definitely reinforce from the back. I've always been partial to using some applique to cover these oopsies as it removes the risk of something catching in the hole and rending it further. Applique would seem appropriate if it is a baby quilt, it would add a bit of cuteness and interest.
            Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

There is a powder that I saw at the last quilt convention I went to. I can't remember the name of it, but.....it is exactly for this type of treatment. You cut up a small square of the same fabric into tiny tiny threads, mix it with this powder, fill the hole with this mixture and, using a teflon presscloth - press it, so that it melts into the tiny hole. You cannot see the hole and it becomes part of the fabric. Hopefully, someone that has used this will give more specifics. Good Luck!

Comment

Hmm, I bought this once, the demonstrator was very convincing, a bit like the fancy vege cutters lol. Long story short, I don't recall what it was called, I don't remember where I put it, I do remember I didn't like it. This is not to say it isn't any good, it just didn't suit me.
                Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

You all are so smart! Hugs, Jan L
                  Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I would do an applique over the small hole too. Can you post a photo of the quilt top - maybe we can give you an idea of what shape or design of fabric to use as your applique? Maybe you could place several appliques over the top here and there and it will look like it was all in the plan!

Hugs,
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I've used little appliques that match my quilt. The holes or flaws are virtually undetectable that way.
                      Susan

Comment

Wow, ladies. You are good. Here are pics. I circled area where hole is. I have never done applique....
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by hilrow; July 29, 2011, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X