X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Txgrandma
    replied
    Re: Lisa's Helpful Tip of the Day

Was thinking of buying a new iron a month or so ago but couldn't make up my mind which one. I have wanted one of the cradles for a while too. One day I'll give in and get them, I am going to check ebay for the Oliso and see what the prices are. My mom burnt the carpet in the living room/dining room. It was one really long room her sewing machine sit about in the middle she sat her ironing board close to it when she sewed, olive green carpet and it burnt it good so they had to replace carpet in that whole big room, dad was not happy. My two brothers were about 5 and 7 at the time the minute dad hit the door they started singing and chanting in unison "Momma burnt the carpet, daddy's" gonna be mad". I hadn't thought about that in years.

Leave a comment:

• Alana
    replied

I have a cradle at the end of my ironing board and use that all the time. It's just habit now. I have hard wood floor too and I think I might be in trouble if I start marking up the floor.......I do seriously need a new iron though. The one I have is almost twenty years old !!

Leave a comment:

• nancy14418
    replied

I second the vote for the Oliso Iron, I have one and could not sew without it. I have RA and not having to turn the iron up and down all day long has saved my wrist, elbow and shoulder joints a lot of wear and tear.

Leave a comment:

• lhayes1976
    replied

@RFREE--I do need that iron--I'll have to put that on my Christmas list. What a cool invention.

Leave a comment:

• RFREE
    replied

Lisa you need an Oliso smart iron. I have one and I love it. When you turn it loose it has feet that comes out and picks it up off the surface. You never have to set it up.My DH found me a brand new one on E-bay and bid $38.00 for it and won.They are pretty pricey.
    Mine is normally $130.00. What a deal!!!

Leave a comment:

• mrswindy4
    replied

I'm like you, Patti! I drop my iron so often, my wood floors have small dents in them under the ironing board! I wont buy an expensive iron, at least not until the new puppy (His name is Puppy) gets out of the teething stage. I lost an iron to him that way (along with the foot pedal to the Janome...but thats another story!)

I've used WD-40 to fix squeaky doors, but not on my irons....thats a good tip to keep in mind!! Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• patticakes
    replied

That's a great hint! I only buy cheap irons as I am always knocking them off the ironing board! My current one sounds like a rattle when you shake it because it has hit the floor so many times. I will keep your great hint on file as I will probably need it!

Leave a comment:

• toggpine
    replied

Oh dear! Glad the carpet didn't take too much damage! Sounds like your iron is all sparkley clean now too. They make silicone iron pads to protect your ironing board. I haven't tried them, but they were selling like hotcakes at the last sewing expo I went to. My guess is you could also use one of the silicone trivets from the kitchen section, if they are big enough.

(Who would do that, putting burn marks all over the carpet? I guess they didn't get their deposit back....)

My ironing board has a thing at the end that you set the iron in. I have used the holder, and it does keep the iron from falling over and frees up more space on the surface. I don't trust the little feet that are supposed to insulate the iron. I guess they are silicone or something. When Em was smaller I was so worried that she'd sick her fingers up in there and burn them, that when I was done pressing, I'd set the iron in the center of the board with the cord threaded behind. The ironing board is up against a wall with about a 1" clearance. I figured that even if she pulled the cord the iron would bash into the wall instead of fall over on her. A lot easier to repair the wall than the kid! Thankfully she never messed with it.
    She learned the lesson about "HOT" with a finger on a cookie sheet. I guess at 2 or so a cookie is a much more tempting treat than fabric. She'll learn.

Leave a comment:

• lhayes1976
    replied

Oddly enough, it did not leave a mark on the carpet. It's berber and I grabbed the iron instantly. But it sure made a mess on the iron. You should see my pressing board--it has iron marks all over--I am constantly forgetting to place the iron up after pressing.

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

Just the thought of what happened makes me queasy. We had tenants once that did this to the master bedroom carpet. After they burned one spot they continued to make iron marks all over the room...sort of a design feature!!! Good luck, I feel for you....Barb

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

When is the carpet being replaced? Have you considered wood flooring?

Leave a comment:

• EsGrandma
    replied

Uh, oh - sounds like a problem to me!

Leave a comment:

• lhayes1976
    started a topic Lisa's Helpful Tip of the Day

Lisa's Helpful Tip of the Day

If you ever need to get melted carpet off of your iron--take a little WD40 and some steel wool to the iron plate. Most of it will come right off--ask me how I know
Working...
X