Crushed Walnut Shells???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crushed Walnut Shells???

Ok, I was browsing through the store on here as I do on a regular basis. I came across a 1 lb bag of crushed walnut shells. What would you use them for in quilting?? I am completely bewildered! Maybe I am just being a bit clueless! Who knows, what do y'all use them for?

Re: Crushed Walnut Shells???

They're supposed to be great in pin cushions!
    :icon_wave:

Comment

I've seen them and heard they are good for pincushions but havnever tried it.
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I didn't realize they had them for sell, I just ordered a bag along with the daily deal! I guess I'll be making pin cushions in my near future!
        :icon_wave:

Comment

As someone else pointed out earlier, make sure that if you are gifting them, that the recipient does not have a nut allergy!

They use them to remove paint and as a texture medium on stair treads at my husband's work, so I didn't think of them as a quilting/sewing product either.
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I'm laughing here. As many of you know, I lived overseas for many years. We lived in an American compound with a commissary. Many times we had maybe two selections of cereal, they would run out of certain items, and if shipments came in the news would go like lightening around the camp and women would rush to the commissary to 'stock up'.

One time I was over at a friend's house and went to get ice from her refrigerator. She had a package of Puff Pastry in the freezer. I asked her what she was going to use it for. She laughed and told me, "I really don't even know what it is, but they got some in at the commissary."

Kinda like cracked walnut shells . . .
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Well, I never related them to quilting either. We have 2 big walnut trees. Before the walnuts are getting ripe??? (don't know the correct word), we pick the nuts when they are green and make portwine or a walnut Schnaps from them. Or use them to dye wool or fabric.
              For using them in pin cushions, you really have to crush them very fine I guess???
              Other than that we just eat the walnuts here in Luxembourg or use them in pastries, sausages etc.
              sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

Human Nature Sandy..Human Nature!!!
                GlendaSue
                I hope to outlive my stash.

Comment

I made a pin cushion that had a bag attached to it for threads and such when you are sewing and it called for crushed walnut shells, but I couldn't find any, so I used sand. Wished I could have found then when I was making my Christmas gifts. Sand was so messy.

Comment

Good thinking, Kathy. I never considered the nut allergy problem. I, too, have only heard of them used in pincushions.

Comment

You are all so helpful. I got such a kick with this one!! I'm laughing so hard I'm crying! And yet, thinking to myself wow, what a great idea for crushed walnut shells!! Hey mamaquilt, how do you dye wool and fabric with a raw walnut? I know they are green and look like a ball instead of a walnut, but to get a dye out of them would be neat.

Comment

I need to make a pin cushion or two.....but I wonder how many cushions you'd get out of a pound of shells...YIKES!
                        ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

With a pound of shells we made {almost} two. (they were fairly big) So we just through a little rice in with it. If they are huge you should have no problem filling two pin cushions. (you could also but a little bit of batting in too to fill it up!)

Comment

Sandy,

That is so true. I do that here at the grocery stores and the expats here trade info like that.
                            Hola from sunny Mexico, Cheryl:icon_wave:

Comment

I made a few cute cupcake pincushions that were adorable.

Comment

Working...
                              X