Do quilts go on walls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do quilts go on walls?

My hubby and I are in our late 20s. I got into quilting about a year or 2 ago. Up till now I've only made throws and baby quilts. But recently I decided I wanted to make a wall hanging depicting a bookshelf with some of my favorite books on the shelves. My husband said that quilts don't go on walls, only on beds, cribs and sofas. And only grandparents put quilts on their walls. I'm pretty sure he's thinking about the quilts his grandmother had hanging in her home, and that's why he thinks that only grandparents and great-grandparents should have quilts hanging in their home. Can I get a shout out from 20 and 30 somethings with quilts hanging in their homes? Maybe a picture or two? TYIA!

Re: Do quilts go on walls?

Well, tell him he is wrong. When on a wall a quilt becomes a work of art. You just need to sew a rod sleeve onto the back to make it easier to hang.
    Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

Wallhangings are very common, and sorry, but had to LOL over the Grandparents remark! It's like a painting, only in fabric! You can make it as modern, architectural, new age, whatever you want!

sea horses quilt.jpg
      What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Comment

If I'm remembering a distant discussion correctly, they used to use quilts as window coverings too. Why not make yourself a wall hanging? It's your quilt, do as you will with it.

Comment

I would say that quilts definitely go on walls - even some of the most elite art galleries put quilts on the walls.
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Why not? If hung right...they look great! Maybe he has never seen on hanging and just imagines it being sloppy looking. I have seen them and they look great. Out here in earthquake country...I'd rather a quilt fall on my head than a picture or other wall hanging! And your idea of making it look like a book case...I'd LOVE to have one of those on my wall...hope you will keep us informed of your progress so I can get inspired to do the same!
            Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Honestly? I love quils very much (obviously! ), but I'm not sure I wanted to have one hang in my home... (and if, then only a very modern one!)

Comment

Only if they aren't housebroke.
                K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by Cat77 View Post
                  Honestly? I love quils very much (obviously! ), but I'm not sure I wanted to have one hang in my home... (and if, then only a very modern one!)
                  Cat77... I think most hanging quilts are made for that purpose..so they have a picture or specific design...so they look like a large picture..."framed" with the border. I wouldn't want just a bed quilt hanging either. But I have seen some really fantastic kits that are a specific picture of something and they are wall hangings. Maybe call it wall hanging instead of a "quilt haning on the wall". I'd love to make one like she is suggesting...to look like a book shelf. I've seen some that mimic looking out a window. And.. most bed quilts are 60x80 (twin) or larger so no, that would be to large to hang (in my opinion) and still look good, although.. if your decor is old country or somethingl ike that it'd probably look great!
                  Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome! If you decide to do one this is a great hanger.

Hang it Dang it Quilt hanger. Our quilt hanger will hang any size quilt from 21" to 106".
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Of course they go on walls! I also use them as shades on my windows. These old houses with old windows get quite drafty in the winter. I also make short ones and use them as valances on the windows where I have shears. Now if I could just figure out a way to also use them as area rugs I'd be thrilled LOL
                      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Of coarse they can go on walls. I always have two quilts hanging in my living room, one on each opposite wall. This is my Pillar of Flame bargello.wall.jpg
                        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by coffeebreak View Post
                          Cat77... I think most hanging quilts are made for that purpose..so they have a picture or specific design...so they look like a large picture..."framed" with the border.
                          That's the ones I'm talking about. They are beautiful, sure, but I wouldn't want them hanging on my walls! Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                            Of coarse they can go on walls. I always have two quilts hanging in my living room, one on each opposite wall. This is my Pillar of Flame bargello.[ATTACH=CONFIG]86808[/ATTACH]
                            OMG that is beautiful. Did you design that yourself or was it a pattern? I'm envious of your color selection and design! I'd love to eventually do an illusion type of quilt.
                            https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                            Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I bought a quilt hanging shelf specifically for seasonal quilt to be hung on the wall, currently I have a Dwell, the one with all the houses from Camille Roskelly, hanging in my entryway.

He is wrong, you are right
                              Conni

Comment

Working...
                              X