Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some Help and/or suggestions

Hello,
    My name is Deana and I am new to this forum. I am needing some help with a project. My mom is going to Vancouver for a bone marrow transplant. She will be away from her family for over three months and I am wanting make a quilt for her to take with her that has reminders of home, family and bible verses on it. I am a new sewist so I can't do really difficult stuff yet.
    Does anyone have any ideas for me? Pictures or patterns or websties. I have no I dea where to start. Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks for you time!
    Deana

Re: I need some Help and/or suggestions

Some photos I've found online:

Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
    Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
    Pinterest

Comment

Deanna, what a wonderful thing you are doing for your Mom. Just plan a simple quilt in your head....put the verses and thoughts you want on light plain squares, with other colorful squares in between. Maybe just a small lap quilt. Put a small border around it, find a backing, sew right sides together leaving a small opening unsewed, then turn inside out and stitch the opening closed. To quilt the "sandwich", tie it. What it looks like is nowheres near as important as the love that will go into it. No matter how it turns out, your Mom will get great comfort from it. Good luck. Our thoughts and prayers are with you both. (Very nice examples, Katherine!)

Comment

hi Deana welcome to the forum!

firstly i hope your mum does well with her treatment, she will need you to be strong for her lovie. If you are so very new to sewing, my first piece of advice is not to set yourself too big a task. Something simple and pretty made with all your love will delight and comfort your mum.

i would suggest getting a charm pack so that the fabrics are already cut and co ordinated for you and simply join them together in row, perhaps with some fabric known to your mum, maybe from a summer dress you or she loved but no longer wear? choose a border fabric that goes with everything and there you go. You will find a lot of excellent tutorials on this site which will help you but do remember that you can simply join your sqares together and make something lovely. You could also embroider some messages onto some of the blocks, but not too many or you will give yourself too hard a task at this very stressful time for you hugs.

For me, making a special quilt has given me focus while my husband is in chemotherepy and it has given me purpose at a time that i felt helpless. But the truth is that my job has been too big at a time when i too have felt fragile. the ladies here are lovely and a great support in every way. My quilt will be finished at about the time he finishes chemo.....there is something poetic about that but i have also felt it was a much bigger job than i realised when i started. So keep it simple, keep it pretty and keep you Mum in your heart as you sew. It will help a lot i promise.

Oh.....one more thing....remember to look after YOU too

i hope you come and visit it us all again soon, everyone here will help and you can always choose from the many views you will get lol. No one minds... do show us your quilt when you have finished
        Last edited by Divine Daisy; July 19, 2011, 04:21 PM.
        Blog
        http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

That was very sweet Divine Daisy! Deana, your mom will love your quilt no matter what you put on it or how it turns out. There is fabric that you can buy with bible verses already on it...or....use a permanent marker and write a verse carefully on muslin. It will mean so much that it is in your own handwriting. Just cut your muslin square and use masking tape along all the edges so it doesn't move. You will have an easier time writing that way. If you have a verse already printed then put the paper under the muslin so you can trace the words. All the best to you and especially to your mother!
          Susan

Comment

Hi Deana. We welcome you to the forum and just want you to know your mom and you will be in my prayers. The advice the other ladies have given is good advice. Keep it simple but from your heart. Your mom will love whatever the outcome is.

Let us know how she does with the transplant.
            When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I believe you have been given several great options. My only advice is to keep it really simple and sweet. Your mom will be in my prayers. I almost forgot to welcome you to the forum.....we will enjoy hearing from you as often as you are able....Barb
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome Deana. Wishing you and your whole family prayers.

What a lovely thing you want to do for your mom. As my previous quilty buddies have said, keep it simple. Whatever you choose to make will put a smile on your mom's face no matter what. Good luck with your project and keep us posted.
                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Hi there Deana.... You are an awesome daughter and like the other sweet ladies on here..... I know your mom will just adore anything you make for her. Welcome to the forum and please come back to share your quilt as well as your thoughts. We will be here if you need support and I will pray for your mom's quick recovery.
                  ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                  Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                  (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Welcome Deana, you and your mom will be in my prayers. The only thing I can say about your projuect is to simply echo the other ladies. I would start by looking at some of tutorials on this site, keep it simple, your mom will feel the love you put into it each time she uses it.
                    Mary
                    A bed without a quilt, is like a sky without stars:)

Comment

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I think I know what i am going to do. I'll be back with pictures when I've made a little progress. Thanks for your prayers too, every one helps!

Comment

I am also a new quilter, so I am constantly on the look-out for easy projects to complete and refine my skills. There are definitely some great tutorials from MSQC on Youtube, and they have all helped me tremendously.

I think that charm packs are a great way to go..maybe find a print that would incorporate your mother's favorite colors or flowers, or as previously suggested, cut the charms out yourself from some old favorite sundresses, curtains or even bed sheets.

I would also use the solid colored charm packs (maybe white?) and purchase a fabric pen so your family members can write your mom's favorite bible verses, a sweet note or even a prayer. This way, there are lots of personal touches and it will be something your mother can re-read and keep with her to uplift her spirit.

I know it is for something else all together, but the tutorial MSQC has for the baby quilt on Youtube might be a good starting point. It is very simple and all you would have to do is modify the measurements a bit.

Just a suggestion! I hope it turns out lovely, and I will say a prayer for you, your mother and family. I also have a family member going through the same thing and it can be very stressful...just surround yourself with loved ones and know that you are in many people's prayers!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X