Quilting Injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting Injuries

So... tonight was my first time putting a sewing machine needle through a finger. I've had a few close calls but nothing that penetrated. Thankfully, it was a straight puncture in and out and the needle didn't break off inside the finger.

I managed to keep the blood spray on myself and off the block I was doing a satin stitch on (yes that was my immediate concern). No blood on the fabric made me happy as I'd spent the better part of 90 minutes working on it.

I was kind of proud of myself - sort of a quilters rite of passage?

What sort of mishaps have you run into while quilting?
    Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
    Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
    Pinterest

Re: Quilting Injuries

I have many many many burns from the iron. I just can't seem to remember to keep my arms clear and keep knocking into it when I reach past.

I also sliced the end off one of my fingers with the rotary cutter. It was just the very tip and it healed up very nicely but I am VERY carefully when I cut now!

Hope you're finger gets better soon x
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

I've had lots of pokes with a needle while hand quilting.

I learned to keep my fingers away from sewing machine needles back when I worked for Levi Strauss. When you see someone not paying attention stick their finger in a bar tack machine, it stays with you. Bar tacks are the little zigzag stitches put at stress points (bottom of the zipper) Fabric in, hit the pedal on the machine and it takes 32 tiny stitches before it stops.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

Oh no....I hear ya on the first worry is your block. I have gotten the needle part way in before I got it out of the way. So painful and I sure learned a lesson not to stick my finger too close when I am concentrating so hard. Hope you are doing okay, I know the real pain shows up the next day!
        Patti
        "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

OUCH! Hope your finger is healing fast! I haven't poked my finger yet but have cut my knee by kneeling on my rotary cutter!
          Angela:icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Katie I haven't managed to do any serious damage to myself, but have seen fingers sewn, you have my sympathy and wishes for a speedy mend.

Originally posted by Angela Ryerse-Multhaupt View Post
            ...have cut my knee by kneeling on my rotary cutter!
            Angela, that sounds painful, not a good spot for a cut since it needs to flex so much. My immediate reaction was a chuckle, not at you but at the image of my students and sit n sew friends, I am known to crack a very big whip when it comes to not closing a cutter blade.
            Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Oh, no, Katherine! Most of my 'injuries' have been from the needle used when I hand quilt or sew. What a tata head! My own stupidity! Hope your finger is feeling better. That must have hurt wicked!

Comment

Originally posted by Katherine Vickery Ringo View Post
                I managed to keep the blood spray on myself and off the block I was doing a satin stitch on (yes that was my immediate concern). No blood on the fabric made me happy as I'd spent the better part of 90 minutes working on it.
                OUCH! Sounds painful. Hope it's better soon. I've only poked myself while hand sewing but have had a couple close calls with the rotary cutter ... Whew!

My long arm instructor said to remove your own blood, dab it with your own spit. Your saliva won't work on anyone elses blood.....Interesting! Luckily, haven't had a chance to try this yet.
                ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

No serious injuries here. I've gotten a few burns from the iron, mostly from the steam, which is why I tend to use a dry iron! Katherine, I sure hope your finger heals quickly. I cringed when I read your post and the ones about the rotary cutter injuries. We just can't be too careful.
                  When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I hope it heals fast! Like some other ladies I tend to burn myself with my iron (have one burn right now) and I cut myself with the rotary cutter first day I got it - didn't realize how sharp it was
                    Oh, and just yesterday, I stapled myself with the office stapler (one would think you can staple your fingers - but that's not true) LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                      I've had lots of pokes with a needle while hand quilting.

I learned to keep my fingers away from sewing machine needles back when I worked for Levi Strauss. When you see someone not paying attention stick their finger in a bar tack machine, it stays with you. Bar tacks are the little zigzag stitches put at stress points (bottom of the zipper) Fabric in, hit the pedal on the machine and it takes 32 tiny stitches before it stops.
                      Yeah that would hurt if you were not paying attention! Gave me chills thinking about it.
                      Pinterest

Comment

I've scorched my fingers and burned my arms a few times. My iron fell on my foot a couple times also. Thankfully I've not sewn through a finger yet with my machine, but I've shed more than a few drops of blood hand quilting. Glad your quilt block didn't get involved....that would have added insult to injury. I'm sorry this happened and hope you heal up quickly......Barb
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thanks for all the healing well wishes! My finger is quite bruised and sore but usable. Hurts to type and write (it would be the finger I use to stabilize a pen while I write things) but hopefully tonight I can finish that darned block and show it whos boss.

I wonder if that is something we should add to our labels in the future - how many burns, cuts, scrapes happened and how much blood went into the quilt.
                          Pinterest

Comment

It seems I always make a blood sacrifice when I make a quilt. Usually it is just a hand needle poke, but I did once slash my arm with the rotary cutter. (Don't hold the thing with open blade if you tend to "Talk" with your hands.....just..don't. LOL )

glad to hear your finger is not more damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Katherine Vickery Ringo View Post
                              I wonder if that is something we should add to our labels in the future - how many burns, cuts, scrapes happened and how much blood went into the quilt.
                              Instead of "Stitched with Love" you can have "Stitched with Blood"

I am reading everyone's posts and cringing!! I will make sure I am extra careful sewing, cutting, and ironing.
                              Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

Working...
                              X