Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Quilt Block?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Favorite Quilt Block?

    What has been your favorite quilt block to make so far?
    Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
    Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
    Pinterest

    #2
    Re: Favorite Quilt Block?

    Wow.....that's a hard one Katie, but for me it's the Log Cabin. I have made numerous LC quilts over the years in all sizes and colors, some with scraps, some with fabric purchased specifically for the quilt. I never tire of the LC because it can be set together in several different ways. I recently saw a LC quilt in white, off-white, cream and light taupe silk and it was gorgeous!!! The LC block is wonderful for beginners and can be as complex as you make it by adding triangles in the corners, etc. It can also be paper pieced or simply sewn with strips of fabric. It is charming in calicoes; country in plaids or flannel; or elegant in silk or velveteen. The LC block is so old it's new again and keeps going on and on. Barb
    Last edited by Bubby; July 11, 2011, 01:55 PM. Reason: typo
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com


    Scottie Mom Barb

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Favorite Quilt Block?

      I must say I don't have a favorite.....YET! I do like D9P but being such a newbie, there are still so many to try out. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know!!

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Favorite Quilt Block?

        i love the Dresdon and catheral windows..............sometimes even together!
        Blog
        http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Favorite Quilt Block?

          I have to agree with Bubby/Barb...the log cabin has been my favorite block out of all the blocks I have done so far. It looks complex but very simple to do. I can actually sing along with the radio instead of concentrating on each piece...I love that!
          ~Mary
          As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Favorite Quilt Block?

            Originally posted by Bubby View Post
            Wow.....that's a hard one Katie, but for me it's the Log Cabin. I have made numerous LC quilts over the years in all sizes and colors, some with scraps, some with fabric purchased specifically for the quilt. I never tire of the LC because it can be set together in several different ways. I recently saw a LC quilt in white, off-white, cream and light taupe silk and it was gorgeous!!! The LC block is wonderful for beginners and can be as complex as you make it by adding triangles in the corners, etc. It can also be paper pieced or simply sewn with strips of fabric. It is charming in calicoes; country in plaids or flannel; or elegant in silk or velveteen. The LC block is so old it's new again and keeps going on and on. Barb
            I love your detailed answer and this is exactly the stuff I'm looking for! I know lots of quilters have been doing it for years so I was curious what block they go back to, time and time again. Thanks for sharing that Barb! I have yet to do a log cabin but your comment makes me want to do one NOW.
            Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
            Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
            Pinterest

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Favorite Quilt Block?

              I don't think I have a favorite. I like to do new things, so it's rare I repeat myself, except when I'm in a rush. Then falling back on a previous "success" comes in handy. One of those is the Double Irish Chain.
              When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Favorite Quilt Block?

                Indeed the Log Cabin.... Ohhh Katie you Gotta try it! It's so much fun.
                But today for Me is the "PINWHEEL"
                It's in my dreams; in my thoughts and even in My Soup...
                I wonder Whyyyyy ...LOL
                :icon_popcorn:~When life throws you scraps make a quilt.~

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Favorite Quilt Block?

                  Originally posted by oldgurl4 View Post
                  Indeed the Log Cabin.... Ohhh Katie you Gotta try it! It's so much fun.
                  But today for Me is the "PINWHEEL"
                  It's in my dreams; in my thoughts and even in My Soup...
                  I wonder Whyyyyy ...LOL
                  Haha! Pinwheels are super fun and I love the colors you are doing with yours. I've got 1/3 of mine completed for the swap so far.

                  I love sawtooth star blocks a lot - I want to do a scrappy quilt of sawtooth star blocks. The flying geese just make it sing!
                  Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
                  Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
                  Pinterest

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Favorite Quilt Block?

                    I know how meemeecyn feels, there are so many blocks I want to try but so far the one I enjoyed the most was hidden wells. I've used it in 2 different quilts. It's quick, so much easier than it looks and you can completely change the look of your quilt by using different fabrics or varying the width of your strips.

                    Here are my 2 quilts:



                    Quilting through the dull times
                    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Favorite Quilt Block?

                      Wow! Those quilts are stunning!!

                      I am a newbie, but the coolest and most challenging block I have made is Anita's Arrowhead (Anita Grossman Solomon Rotary Cutting Revolution) I am working on a bag using that block.
                      Mary :icon_hi:


                      Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Favorite Quilt Block?

                        My newest favorite is the D9P. I currently have 2 in the works, one is blue and tan and red-americana sailboats, lighthouses and such and the other one is red, white and black. Will post pics when I finish the tops.
                        JR-love those 2 quilts-you say the pattern is easy, where can I find it?
                        LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

                        Hugs, Pat

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Favorite Quilt Block?

                          Originally posted by Mimis-quilts View Post
                          My newest favorite is the D9P. I currently have 2 in the works, one is blue and tan and red-americana sailboats, lighthouses and such and the other one is red, white and black. Will post pics when I finish the tops.
                          JR-love those 2 quilts-you say the pattern is easy, where can I find it?
                          Found it!

                          HIDDEN WELLS BLOCK TUTORIAL
                          Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
                          Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
                          Pinterest

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Favorite Quilt Block?

                            I really like doing the DP9patch. I am just fairly new to this so I really don't know for sure which would be my favorite. But looking at and wanting to try myself...I'd have to say Dresden Star and the Jelly star.
                            Alana
                            To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
                            alanashideaway.blogspot.com
                            https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Favorite Quilt Block?

                              ~JR~ I'm

                              "GORGEOUS"

                              They Sure are Hiden Alright!

                              Did you FMQ or used a Quilt Frame to piece it all together?

                              Thanks Katie for the Link .... It looks Nice and Challenging... (Just How I Like It...) LOL
                              Last edited by oldgurl4; July 15, 2011, 12:26 PM.
                              :icon_popcorn:~When life throws you scraps make a quilt.~

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X