Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downton Abbey fabric

Good morning fellow fabricaholics.

I've been resisting the temptation to buy the Downton Abbey layer cakes, mostly because it's not payday yet.

I love the fabric and plan to get one of each layer cake to make a quilt for myself. Yes, I know 4 layer cakes will be huge but I won't be using all of the squares. I could probably make a few lap/twin sized quilts out of them.

My question is: What pattern would you suggest be best for the fabric?
    I LOVE the disappearing hourglass block but love the simplicity of the you've got mail block.
    I don't like the pattern that I've seen everywhere that incorporates all of the DA fabric line. Plus, it looks like way to much work.

I'm open to suggestions that open my eyes to new and fun blocks/patterns. If it were up to me, I'd make every layer cake I buy into a double slice quilt. Now that was a fun quilt!

Thanks for your suggestions.
    :icon_hi: Tiffany

Re: Downton Abbey fabric

I love the DA fabric too!

If I had it I wouldn't want to chop it up too small.
    I would think that a large tumbler block would work well for it.
    I just made Moda Bake Shop: Easy Strawberry Fields Bricks Quilt which was quick and easy and really shows off the fabric of a line.

I think Jenny's Big Star would look great with it too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkm3nCferp4

Whatever you decide have a great time with it!
    Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

My class is making a curved log cabin with the Dowager Downton Abbey fabric.

Art Deco Quilt..jpg

The borders makes the fabric really stand out. I used a spriggy ivory blender to eek out the DA fabric. Am in the middle of quilting it now. Is looking good
      Blog
      http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I think the You've Got Mail pattern would work very well. I made one recently from Josephine by French General and the prints maintained their integrity. It's one of my favorite quilts...

YGM2.jpg
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thanks y'all.
          You've Got Mail was one of the patterns I was thinking about.
          There was another one that I passed on Pinterest. It had the the full square on point sashed with what looked like hunny bun strips.

Comment

Here's my Downton Abbey Quilt (throw size to cuddle up under while watching the show) - it still needs binding:

IMG_20140627_144230.jpg

Comment

Ooooo, that is so pretty. Get so many good ideas here. I love the colors.
              No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
              Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by icul8rg8r View Post
                Here's my Downton Abbey Quilt (throw size to cuddle up under while watching the show) - it still needs binding:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83376[/ATTACH]
                That's really nice and inspiring!
                Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Does anyone think a hexagon pattern would be too "modern" for the class and elegance of the DA fabric line?

Comment

Here's my Downton Abbey Dowager curved log cabin, ready to go to the long arm quilter.
                    Attached Files

Comment

This required a little more fabric than one jelly roll, even with not wasting scraps. So plan to buy a little more yardage than the border requires, so youu can cut a little of it into 2 1/2 strips and use it in the blocks.
                      Last edited by Jolonergan; February 26th, 2015, 12:29 PM.

Comment

If Bubba sees this thread I hope she posts the quilt she made with a Downton Abbey Jelly Roll. I really love hers. Simple but really beautiful. In fact after seeing hers I bought a Downton Abbey Jelly Roll and coordinating fabric but have been too busy with other projects to get started on it.

Bubba, where are you???

I edited to add that I found her post. I have no idea how to copy the link but it is dated January 13, 2015. She used the "Color Me Happy" pattern. If you type "Bubba and Downton Abbey" in the search engine it will come up. That is what I did.
                        Last edited by Grandma G; February 26th, 2015, 08:24 PM.
                        Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

I just made one using the double slice pattern, haven't gotten it quilted yet so I don't have a pic, I mixed 2 different layer cakes. Personally I hate the fabric but it was in colors my DD wanted.
                          Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

Working...
                          X