Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fabric markers for quilting

Hi, all

I should have used "lady lurksalot" for a user name, because I lurk a lot. I am in the process of finishing my third quilt top, but have actually only completely finished one quilt (using the 3 seam, 10 minute block pattern); complete meaning quilted and bound. Not FMQ, tho. For a first timer, it wasn't too bad. Many, many thanks to Jenny and the girls for their tutes; I've learned tons and have a wish list a mile long.

Anyway, I ran into some issues trying to mark fabric for quilting. My latest project (a whack a posey or 4PP) also presented issues with marking the frames for the blocks since I wanted to miter the corners and not to a butt join. Okay, so I could eyeball it on the small stuff, but when I get to quilting it, I may decide to use a stencil. Or not, I don't know yet. But I do need a fabric marker/set for future projects.

Is there such a critter as a fabric marker that works? I am looking for one that doesn't cost a small fortune, can actually mark on dark (or light) fabric without using enough pressure to cause an earthquake, is actually visible, will stay where I put it until I remove it, doesn't bleed into the fabric, is easy to remove when I get to that point, and doesn't need constant resharpening. Or is that the Holy Grail of quilting markers?

I'm considering the Clover pencils but didn't know if they would be to my liking. To be honest, I'm seriously considering getting some of the lead refills in either the .7mm or .9mm size and trying to stick them in a plain ole mechanical pencil of the appropriate size. I'm not trying to be cheap, but money isn't that abundant and I'm trying to keep more of it for fabric and thread.

What have you used that worked great for you? BTW, I generally like a fairly thin marked line to follow. Many thanks for your advice, recommendations & guidance!

Happy Quilting,
    M&M

Re: fabric markers for quilting

I have had the same problem finding pencils that work (and are removable!). At the moment I use this hera marker for pretty much everything:

It "draws" a crease in the fabric which is really easy to follow with your machine and doesn't need removing afterwards. The lady at my LQS recommended it to me when I couldn't find anything that didn't stain the silk quilt I was making as a wedding present. It has been an absolute godsend. Apparently it's also good for drawing around your appliqué shapes to get a crisp fold when you turn the edges under but I've only done raw edge applique so I haven't tried that yet.

Before that I used this pencil from sewline:

It gives a really crisp line and you can buy different coloured leads for it so it will work on different fabrics. They have it for sale here at MSQC with all the different coloured leads: http://www.missouriquiltco.com/catal...ewline&x=0&y=0

Hope that helps x
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

There's also a discussion about markers that erase with an iron here on the forum: Erasable Pens Marks Remove Completely with Hot Iron or Dryer

They look good but I haven't tried them so I can't really comment.
      Quilting through the dull times
      northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

I have one sewline pencil and multiple color leads. I just switch out the lead in the pencil for whatever color fabric I'm working on. It is the best marker by far that I have found.

Heather
        🍄 Heather🍄

Comment

I know we have had this discussion before, and there was everything from the standard quilting/fabric marking items to washable Crayola markers, sharpened chalkboard chalk, and white gel pens for the backs of dark fabrics.

You might check the search box at the top to see if you can find that thread. Good luck on your hunt!
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Many thanks for all the replies and the help. I think the hera marker would work great for straight or nearly straight lines, but not so well on curves. But since I haven't tried it, I may well be wrong. I'll check into the sewline pencil and leads. I was already headed in that direction but with a different brand.

Happy Quilting!
            M&M

Comment

Working...
            X