47 quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

47 quilts

I just found out about this today and had to share this nice story. When I visited my local, small, fabric store today I mentioned my latest quilting project. The owner of the store told me about a wonderful lady who is an experienced quilter, and teacher we think , who only last week came to our tiny town to donate 47 quilts! Why 47 you might ask. It seems that , unfortunetly, my small town is THAT small town in Quebec, Canada that had the massive train derailmentof oil last summer ( this weekend to be exact) and it killed 47 townsfolks. This lovery lady , and we suspect some of her students, decided to make one quilt for each family who lost a loved one. Last week there was a very private cerimony at the local cemetery and the familys were invited to return to the church basement for some food and a surprise. Before them, spread out for everyone to see where the 47 quilts she made. They each got to pick whichever one they wanted. The owner of the fabric shop lost her sister ( one of 12 children). She told me a bit about the quilt she choose, and it sounded like quite a complicated quilt, with a large center circle inside the square quilt with flowers added on top of it. Imagine making 47 different quilts, in one years for folks you dont even know! This woman seems to have come from the west coast of Canada ( we are on the extreem east coast). I dont knwo her name, YET, but I think I know someone who does. You can be sure I will be in touch with her to thank her for all of my neighbors and friends who she made a quilt for. Sometimes you find such good hearted folks out there, that you just have to tell someone about them so thats why I'm sharing this with you all. From Lac-Megantic, Quebec ,Canada.

Re: 47 quilts

Incredible!!!!! <3

Comment

Meghan,the train disaster was so sad, I am sorry that happened in your community, I am sure it affected you as well as everyone that live there. And isn't it wonderful that out of something so sad that there is a good news story! it's nice to here that there are such caring people, thanks for telling us about it

Comment

There are kind-hearted people in the world! What a touching gesture she made to the families who lost a loved one. I believe there's a special place in Heaven reserved just for her. Thanks for letting us know.

Comment

What a special thing to do. If you ever get pictures please share
          đŸŒș Lorie

Comment

What an angel! Her compassionate donation must have brought a good deal of comfort to your entire community.

Comment

What a heartfelt story. Thanks for sharing
              The best kind of sleep beneath Heaven above/ Is under a quilt, handmade with love

Comment

Such a terrible tragedy for your community that our whole country will never forget. But what a wonderful kindness. A similar thing happened following Hurricane Igor that devastated some of the outports in Newfoundland - a quilters' guild in Kelowna B.C. sent quilts to 11 affected families. A CBC tv show called "land and sea" did a story on it that was quite touching and almost made me cry. I think your story is even more so.

Comment

Thanks for sharing,it's to bad that the only stories that seem to make it into the press are about bad people. We need to hear more stories like this. I wonder if the press focused more on these kind of stories if you would see and hear about more people being kind?
                  :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

That is amazing. Five years ago this coming winter, Lakewood WA had four officers murdered in a coffee shop early one morning, and then one month later, one of my deputies was also shot and died of his wounds a week later. The shop I go to now (this was before me quilting) made a quilt for each spouse, parent, and child for each officer killed.....that was also a lot of quilts! When I heard that had been done, all I could do was cry. People do amazing things.
                    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                      That is amazing. Five years ago this coming winter, Lakewood WA had four officers murdered in a coffee shop early one morning, and then one month later, one of my deputies was also shot and died of his wounds a week later. The shop I go to now (this was before me quilting) made a quilt for each spouse, parent, and child for each officer killed.....that was also a lot of quilts! When I heard that had been done, all I could do was cry. People do amazing things.
                      Quel beau geste, je suis allée au Lac Mégantic samedi dernier, c'est incroyable. Il y a encore beaucoup de gens qui ont du coeur
                      Carmen:icon_wave:

Comment

Les gens de Lac Mégantic ont beaucoup de courage, voir sa ville ''coupée'' en deux. J'ai vu samedi dernier. Il y a encore beaucoup de gens qui ont du coeur, soyez courageux
                        Carmen:icon_wave:

Comment

That's an incredible act of love and generosity. I hope the recipients were blessed by what that awesome woman did for them.
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thank you for sharing this story. It is stories like this which keep us humble and real.
                            Sewing mends the soul.
                            sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                            Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                            ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post
                              There are kind-hearted people in the world! What a touching gesture she made to the families who lost a loved one. I believe there's a special place in Heaven reserved just for her. Thanks for letting us know.
                              l totally agree. And thanks for sharing this heartwarming story.
                              Mary :icon_popcorn:

Comment

Working...
                              X