X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MartinaG
    replied
    Re: No, I probably shouldn

For those of you who are space-challenged: Check out the Handiquilter Sweet 16. She's a sit-down machine with a 16" throat. LOVE my "Trudy"

Leave a comment:

• jingleme
    replied

In my neck of the woods, you could pay for it a lot faster by selling chickie poop than chickie eggs.
    here are more places to shop for good, used machines:

machines_for_sale

For Sale - Used Quilting Machines - APQS Forums

Handi Quilter - HQ Forums

and...if you're lucky...the best price of all. FREE!

APQS - The Great Longarm Giveaway

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

You could put a little shack out next to the chickens , my little chicken friend

Little Cottage 12 x 8 ft. Pinehurst Colonial Panelized Garden Shed: Gardening & Lawn Care : Walmart.com

Leave a comment:

• Mpyles
    replied

I agree, if you USE the longarm it's a great investment! I soooo want one....just trying to get one thru 2 mire years if college and the other thru 2 1/2 years...then it WILL be mine!!

Leave a comment:

• Mchelem
    replied

Originally posted by Lightwriter View Post
    Went to the same show in Raleigh, also tried the LA. First time I have ever really seen one in person. Not even tempted. I could pay for a LOT of quilts to be done for the price of a LA. I could just envision hours spent trying to just get the quilt on and off the machine must less the skill to move the machine in space (have tried some free motion quilting and have the same issue there.) I would have to have the computerized one that does it on its own. Some of the LA at the show were so large they almost needed their own house! Maybe in a different universe and a different lifetime....

It takes me 15-20 minutes to load a king sized quilt top and back on my table and I have a 14' table with a 26" gammill head.
    For what people pay around here to quilt other peoples quilts, once I have quilted 30 quilts, a 6000$ table and longarm would be paid for. If you were quilting for others, it could be paid off in several months time, and then what you were charging others and saving yourself is money back in your pocket for fabric money.

Now the computerized machines would cost you more than a car. I looked at the latest and greatest gammill with a computer guided system, and it was upwards of $32,000.00.

Leave a comment:

• Lightwriter
    replied

Went to the same show in Raleigh, also tried the LA. First time I have ever really seen one in person. Not even tempted. I could pay for a LOT of quilts to be done for the price of a LA. I could just envision hours spent trying to just get the quilt on and off the machine must less the skill to move the machine in space (have tried some free motion quilting and have the same issue there.) I would have to have the computerized one that does it on its own. Some of the LA at the show were so large they almost needed their own house! Maybe in a different universe and a different lifetime....

Leave a comment:

• Claire OneStitchAtATime
    replied

Carrie M is right. I often see them used on Craigslist.

Leave a comment:

• CARRIE M
    replied

Google used long arm machines. There are a couple of different sites that list used for sale. You might find one you like / can afford. If you find one but not close by, maybe you and DH could take a road trip to pick it up? That way you could try it first and see how the frame comes apart so it will be easier to put back together.

In the meantime, tell the chickens to get busy!

Leave a comment:

• Claire OneStitchAtATime
    replied

Judy, do you have quilting friends locally who are also lusting for a long arm? Maybe if you all split the cost of one & agreed on rules about whose house it would be in, when others could use it, etc., you could share the expense with others & all have the fun. They would have to be friends you trusted & got along with, of course, if it was going to work out.

Leave a comment:

• Terry L
    replied

Oh I so wish I had the room

Leave a comment:

• monklesmom
    replied

really though, if you look at the cost of a long arm machine and then look at how much you pay to send your quilt off to someone else to do!! You save money in the long run!! or at least that is my story and I am sticking to it with my hubby!! right now all of my quilts for me are just quilt tops! I shove all the quilts I give away through my machine and dream of the day I might be able to have a long arm! One of the long arm dealers an hour away from me if you take their class then you can rent time on their machines and they also have a deal that if you do buy one from them they give you a credit for a percentage of what you paid for time to rent their machines!! I thought that was a great idea but need to get a better part time job while daughter is in school to afford that!

Leave a comment:

• Grandma G
    replied

Originally posted by jsmetcalf View Post
    I was just reading over some of these comments and shared a few with my husband who is sitting here watching the news. He laughed at the golden egg comment saying that it would really be nice and wondered if anyone knew which breed that might be. He then said to me, "You know, Judy, you don't have to try to talk me into that machine....you just have to tell me that it's something that you really want." The fact is that he meant it. We are retired and live on Navy retired income so I would never spend that kind of money on something for my hobby, but just the fact that I know he would find a way to do it for me is incredibly special. Really gotta love the guy!
    Your husband sounds like a great guy. My husband spent several years in the Navy, too, and has that same mind set. He likes to see me happy but I, like you, know what our limitations are. But it is nice to know that they want us to have whatever makes us happy.

Leave a comment:

• IndyQltr78
    replied

I looked at the Handi-Quilter at the Chicago Quilt show. This isn't the first time I have looked and tried them. I really like the long arm, but like the rest of you all the issues you mentioned are holding me back.

The one thing that the salesman said about the frame size is that when you get the LA, you can choose the 10' or 12' frame. Since the ten foot comes in two four foot sections and one two foot section, that group can be set up as a 10', 8', 6', or 4'. The 12' comes in three four foot sections so there is just the 12', 8' or 4' set up. Not sure if that will influence any of you, but I look forward to hearing about the LA when you purchase it.

Leave a comment:

• Ginny B
    replied

Oh I know,I've been there. Went to a quilt show and they had the Sweet Sixteen there. I watched as someone was using it. When she was done, the lady said, "sit down, try it". I hesitated and dh said "go ahead". So I did and really liked it. Of course, I can't afford it, but I liked it. Maybe I need to get some chickens.

Leave a comment:

• jsmetcalf
    replied

I was just reading over some of these comments and shared a few with my husband who is sitting here watching the news. He laughed at the golden egg comment saying that it would really be nice and wondered if anyone knew which breed that might be. He then said to me, "You know, Judy, you don't have to try to talk me into that machine....you just have to tell me that it's something that you really want." The fact is that he meant it. We are retired and live on Navy retired income so I would never spend that kind of money on something for my hobby, but just the fact that I know he would find a way to do it for me is incredibly special. Really gotta love the guy!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X