No, I probably shouldn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I probably shouldn

Hit enter before I was done....title should read....No, I probably shouldn't touch that!

Ok so yesterday I headed off to Raleigh to attend the Sewing and Quilt Expo with a girlfriend who is not currently a quilter but has expressed interest in it. I spent a fair amount of time explaining pre-cuts, designs, rulers, etc. which was actually fun because just a year ago I didn't know anything myself! So as we passed the Handi-Quilter booth she was puzzled by the ominous appearance of a LA and frame. As I was explaining what it was, I also told her that although I love to piece, I find quilting difficult because I do it on my domestic machine and I really don't enjoy the process. Not only do I not know how to use a LA, I also have no room for the frame nor the money to pay for such a machine! Well, of course, the Handi-Quilter teacher was right there and encouraged me with all the right words to at least TRY IT! She even gave me the "why move the paper under the pencil when you can move the pencil over the paper" speech! So, I put my hands on those handlebars, she started the machine, and there I was....making circles...making e's...making waves....meandering....YIKES....I LOVED IT! I realized that quilting could be easier!!! Now I'm trying to figure out where I could put it and how many more chickens I need to produce the number of eggs I need to pay for it!!!! LOL
    Judy

Re: No, I probably shouldn

I know how you feel!!!! I'm in the same position, not enough room, not enough money!
    ***Kathy***

Comment

ditto on the space/money thing.... but someday

Comment

So Judy is trying to figure out how to insulate the chicken coop . . .
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

You are NOT alone in that!

I am going so far as to get certified on the one our LQS has so I can rent time on it to finish a couple of big quilts that I don't want to shove through my little machine.

Maybe by the time my daughter moves out, I'll have saved up enough $$$$ to afford one and I can use her room for the frame. I have 10 years before she's 18. I might be able to do it.
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I started out with a Handiquilter table top frame and my Brother 1500 straight stitch machine...got the frame for $100 off of Craigslist. It was a great learning experience. Then I found a Grace frame for $250 on Craigslist and used the same machine on it. Next I found a used 18" Tin Lizzie on Craigslist for $3500. Well worth the money and you'd be surprised how little space you can fit it in. Would love to have a larger LA, but I can do a lot with what I have. I sold the Grace frame to my local quilt guild and loaned them my Brother machine, and have been training any member of the guild that wants to learn machine quilting. Beats the heck out of moving the fabric around....love to piece and now love to quilt it too.

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
              You are NOT alone in that!

I am going so far as to get certified on the one our LQS has so I can rent time on it to finish a couple of big quilts that I don't want to shove through my little machine.

Maybe by the time my daughter moves out, I'll have saved up enough $$$$ to afford one and I can use her room for the frame. I have 10 years before she's 18. I might be able to do it.
              You sure she's moving out at 18? I have one here that is probably going to have boot prints on his behind to get him to move out. And he's a few years older than 18! One of my brothers told me that his youngest moved back home 6 times before she was financially stable.

But - a few years ago I noticed he quit using the playroom. I told everyone it was MINE! And I have most of my quilting/sewing stuff in there now.

I already warned DH that I'm interested in a mid-arm. As soon as the dust settles from the remodel that is!
              Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
                That's what I'd call planning ahead!

I'd love to try a longarm, or midarm, or even a better normal sewing maching than mine! Good thing I don't know anybody who's got a LA! But I'm afraid to go to the machine dealer around here to get my machine fixed, because I know he's got these reaaally nice machines there, just standing around, practically begging to be taken for a spin...

Comment

Originally posted by jsmetcalf View Post
                  Hit enter before I was done....title should read....No, I probably shouldn't touch that!

Ok so yesterday I headed off to Raleigh to attend the Sewing and Quilt Expo with a girlfriend who is not currently a quilter but has expressed interest in it. I spent a fair amount of time explaining pre-cuts, designs, rulers, etc. which was actually fun because just a year ago I didn't know anything myself! So as we passed the Handi-Quilter booth she was puzzled by the ominous appearance of a LA and frame. As I was explaining what it was, I also told her that although I love to piece, I find quilting difficult because I do it on my domestic machine and I really don't enjoy the process. Not only do I not know how to use a LA, I also have no room for the frame nor the money to pay for such a machine! Well, of course, the Handi-Quilter teacher was right there and encouraged me with all the right words to at least TRY IT! She even gave me the "why move the paper under the pencil when you can move the pencil over the paper" speech! So, I put my hands on those handlebars, she started the machine, and there I was....making circles...making e's...making waves....meandering....YIKES....I LOVED IT! I realized that quilting could be easier!!! Now I'm trying to figure out where I could put it and how many more chickens I need to produce the number of eggs I need to pay for it!!!! LOL
                  I understand Ryan can help you design a new chicken coop . And maybe even a shed to house the long arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire OneStitchAtATime View Post
                    I understand Ryan can help you design a new chicken coop . And maybe even a shed to house the long arm.
                    I already have 3 chicken coops housing my 60 plus chickens so I don't need another one of those BUT I do have the old log cabin (original homestead - NEEDS A LOT OF WORK) right outside my kitchen window that might work if I can convince my husband that IN ADDITION to the cost of the Avante LA set-up, we need to spend a few more dollars to revamp that cabin into a studio. Hmmm.......
                    Judy

Comment

I was at the quilt show in Raleigh yesterday too! I was particularly impressed with the adjustable table and small LA displayed at the back to room near the stage and concession stand. When I saw that cutting/ironing/ quilting table go up and down my 6 foot GF looked at 5 foot me and said this would be a table we could both get used too!!! But did you see the templates he had that he used for FMQ? He showed us the cloud and the feather he was making plus some circles and hearts! I thought that was such a great idea for those who are FMQ challenged like me! ( to explain: he used a thick template made in different shapes and used a FMQ foot with a roller on it to follow the edges of the template so it would allow you to follow the shape perfectly). I loved it!!
                      sigpicMy friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Comment

I've got plenty of room in the basement for a LA but having the $$$ is another matter. Maybe someday I can find a good used one that I can afford. We can keep looking and wishing in the meantime.
                        *~* Myrna *~*
                        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I already have 3 chicken coops housing my 60 plus chickens so I don't need another one of those BUT I do have the old log cabin (original homestead - NEEDS A LOT OF WORK) right outside my kitchen window that might work if I can convince my husband that IN ADDITION to the cost of the Avante LA set-up, we need to spend a few more dollars to revamp that cabin into a studio. Hmmm.......
                          Judy - me thinks the chickens will have to lay golden eggs to pay for all the plans that are beginning to form in your mind !! lol
                          Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

I'm looking at the - oh now, what is that called - the Bloc-Rockit, I believe. A new mid-arm from Kathy Quilts. I already have the Grace King frame (got it off Craigs List for $150.) and I think I am going to start saving all my $1.00 bills. I think I will be surprised how little time it will take to get me there. OF course, I did have about 10 (I just started saving) of those dollar bills in an envelope but I needed lunch for 2 days. Enough of that. Guess I will have to pack my lunch the night before from now on.
                            When there is a will, there is a way.

Hugs,
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                            http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                            http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Originally posted by Grandma G View Post
                              Judy - me thinks the chickens will have to lay golden eggs to pay for all the plans that are beginning to form in your mind !! lol
                              It's fun to dream, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X