Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shirley's (Featherweight) having problems???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shirley's (Featherweight) having problems???

I'm sure it's probably not Shirley, but her owner. She was working until I gave her a cleaning. Now everytime I try to sew the thread keeps coming unthreaded, not breaking but just coming out of the needle. I believe I have it threaded right. I know I have the needle in correctly. I am wondering if I have the bobbin case in right--it did click in. The only other thing is tension--she's a 1936 model, so the tension dial has no numbers. I have turned it, but I am at a loss on how to adjust the tension on it. Are there some tricks I need to know? I may just have to break down and take her to the shop.
    Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Re: Shirley's (Featherweight) having problems???

MAKE SURE THE THREAD GOES IN THE NEEDLE FROM THE RIGHT SIDE TO THE LEFT!

Also, pull the thread through the needle at least 10 inches and try it again . . . you may just be clipping too short . . . and, if it is the tension it sure won't pull that much thread out of the needle.

Good luck - and do let us know how you come out.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I do have the needle threaded and put in right. It just will not make one stitch--it pulls out of the needle immediately. It's not getting tight and breaking. It just pulls out. I'm going to go ahead and have a gentlemen who fixes machines on the side look at it. He thinks it may be timing. I still have a sneaky suspicion it's something I'm doing wrong. Fortunately this guy doesn't charge a fee just to look at it. I have to drive about 45 minutes to get to him, but that's cheaper than the $69.00 fee the other people want to just tell me what's wrong with it.
      Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

I do not have a Featherweight but sometimes taking it to the shop isn't a bad thing. At least it will get you sewing again. Good luck!
        Susan

Comment

This probably won't help in this situtation. To check the tension put different color thread in the bobbin and you can tell if the top tension is to loose or to tight. Linda

Comment

I agree with Sandy. Make sure you are threading your baby from the right to the left. Since it was working before you cleaned it, did you remove any parts in the bobin area? If you have it, refer to your owner's manual. I would at least remove the needle and put it back in, making sure it is positioned correctly. I'm not sure the tension has anything to do with this issue. I know how frustrating this is. Maybe a quick run to the shop would be in order if all else fails. Good Luck.....Barb
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I sure hope Lisa didn't think I was yelling at her about the thread. I know I got caught up on that one MORE THAN ONCE!!! It is so easy to do because it is not a typical thing.

Sure hope Shirley gets some throat lozenges and is singing pretty real soon!! Patsy Cline (My first FW) is needing some doctor's care. I think she needs a new motor or to have her brushes replaced because she's getting very sluggish. I looked at a new motor and see the price has gone up tremendously - over $100 . . . UGH!

Comment

Maybe this is to simple but just hold your thread till you have made two or three stitches, see if that does it. That's what I do. Good Luck!
                Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

Little Shirley was out of time, a little like me, but she is purring like a kitten now. I love her! Don't worry Mary I still love you too.
                  Lisa

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, what relief. Little Shirley with be singing and dancing with the best of them.

Now, inquiring minds want to know - did you find out how to set the timing?

Comment

No, I called a nice gentlemen who works on vintage machines on the side. I actually met him on Father's Day at an Ace Hardware parking lot--he lives about 45 minutes away so he met me half way. He pulled Shirley out of her case and fixed her timing right there in the parking lot on the back of his pickup truck. Charged me $20 and it was well worth it. She is the cat's meow.
                      Lisa

Comment

Working...
                      X