• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michelle M
    Binding Belle
    • Feb 2014

Not a good day at the machine!

I am not sure how to describe my day, I am usually a fairly positive person who find something good or humorous in most situations, but not today.
    It started off with me getting the material ready for my first zigzag quilt. I was so excited about finally getting to start it. So, I cut just enough fabric to get me three rows, because I wanted to make sure I liked the way it looked before cutting all of the fabric. When things didn't line up quite right I started investigating, which lead me to the realization that I have been using the wrong edge on my 1/4' foot, so it threw everything off. Well, no damage done. At least I learned something and didn't sew a lot of it before realizing my goof. So, I decided I would love the way it will look and went ahead and cut the rest of the fabric. Then, to my horror I realized that I had cut every one of the rectangles half an inch too short. My ruler was six inches wide (I thought) and I needed my blocks 5 1/2 inches wide. So, when I lined it up on the 1" mark it was too short. At this time I'm about to blow a fuse! I fixed a glass of tea, gathered myself together and thought that surely I could find something else to do with this fabric, since I couldn't use it for this pattern anymore. I spent an hour or more just looking through patterns, which was fun, of course! I found one I might like to do, but I would need to trim a little off of the blocks to get them to be square instead of rectangular. No biggie! So, I get out my ruler to measure the blocks again and find that I had indeed cut them right in the first place!! My ruler was 6 1/2" wide, not 6"! I just laughed and started sewing. I get 3/4 of the way through sewing these rectangles together before I realize that something is wrong with the tension on my machine and at least fifty blocks will have to be resewn. GRRRRRR. My sense of humor is gone and I am done for the day, maybe the week!! I not sure what happened with the tension. I rethreaded and it is just fine now. Anyway, I'm done whining now. I may have to get up and start sewing on it again, I feel a letter better since I got to vent!
    May your day be blessed. :icon_wave:

Shea Michelle
  • FabStripper
    Missouri Star
    • May 2014

Re: Not a good day at the machine!

Can you make it using the 5-1/2" blocks? I don't think it should matter if all the blocks are the same width. Sorry you had a bad time of things.

Comment

• vchale
      Missouri Star
      • Mar 2013

Oh my, sorry. Sounds like one of those days when you just have to walk away and try to put it out of your mind. Hopefully when you can get back to it things will work out better.
      Vernona (Beaverton OR)

Comment

• Vonnie
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2013

So sorry you are having a bad day. I also have to take breaks when I keep making mistakes.

I have also learned that every time I change bobbins, I have to clean the bobbin area and also rethread the top otherwise something will be off.

I have also learned that when my machine makes a "clunking" sound that I had better stop and clean the bobbin area and totally rethread the machine or I will be ripping out a lot.

And also learned that if I'm working on something very linty I have to clean underneath the bobbin case half way through the bobbin or the lint buildup will be too much and cause the "clunking" sound and the birds nest on the back of the quilt/block.
        Vonnie

Comment

• Divine Daisy
          Missouri Star
          • May 2011

Days like this are just a waste of lipstick!
          Blog
          http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• Sylvia H
            Missouri Star
            • May 2014

Ah yes! One of THOSE days. We have all had them. Fortunately, they seem to go away quickly. I hope yours does too.
            If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Doloris
              Missouri Star
              • May 2012

I am working on some self binding baby blankets this week. I spent yesterday matching up fleece and flannel and cutting to size getting ready for a marathon sew today.
              Pulled out one of my favorites and noticed I had cut wrong. No problem, I will just adjust it. recut and then realized it was cut right the first time. AGHHHHH. Threw it in the corner and kept sewing others that were cut. Will pull it out later today and see if it can be salvaged. I know at least the flannel I can use again, but the fleece might be cut too small to use again. AGHHHHHH
              Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Working...
              X