Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! (I got suckered into a quilt show committee)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! (I got suckered into a quilt show committee)

So last night at guild meeting I was pulled aside and asked if I would head up the committee to do the quilt show awards (the ribbons for the quilts that are judged).

I've been to exactly three shows in my quilting life (one year old now).

We don't have a theme yet, so I know the ribbon design will change depending on that but has anyone had experience doing this? My idea is to piece or put together small blocks and attach the ribbons to them so it is personalized and special. Last year they had the medallions made out of wool in the shape of flowers.

The show is outdoors at a botanical garden.

I need feedback:
    • What kind of quilt show ribbons do you enjoy seeing and receiving?
    • Do you think a small pieced block is cute with a show ribbon (and appropriate?)
    • Would you prefer a more professional rosette purchased from a shop?
    • If you've received quilt show ribbons would you post a photo of what they look like so I can see?
    Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
    Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
    Pinterest

Re: Help! (I got suckered into a quilt show committee)

I found this great blog post with examples of special quilt ribbons for each category - I believe the first place entries in each one got one of the special ribbons. Not sure I can rope that many guild members into designing individual ribbons for each category but it is fun to think about!
    Pinterest

Comment

Those ribbons are great! I have only been to 3 quilt shows and the ribbons were just plain old satin ribbons, nothing special, my guess is noone has thought of making something like these, good luck with it!!

Comment

those ribbons are quite unique! I've never entered an actual quilt show, only the county fair. They give out award ribbons for the placements. best of show gets a prize rosette . Similar to these:

http://search.trophycentral.com/trop...ibitor-ribbons
        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Here is a photo of the ribbons we had last year:
          Pinterest

Comment

Wow! Last year's ribbons are pretty why change?
            Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

Oh, Katherine. Hope this is something you enjoy. It sounds like a lot of hard work. Your ideas for the ribbons are right on. I think winners would appreciate the small pieced block and not the purchased one you referred to. Putting that kind of effort into the ribbon gives a message that the hard work they put into their submission is appreciated and worthwhile! Good luck with whatever you decide on. You are a good woman!!

Comment

I don't own an embroidery machine.... so doing those types of awards would be difficult unless someone loaned me one. We are supposed to have our first show meeting in a few weeks so I'm sure I'll get a better idea of what is expected (number of awards, size, style, etc).

I'd love to do a pieced block of some sort once I find out our theme. I've also seen fabric flowers in various shapes and sizes and thought those might work well too with printed ribbons attached. Something like this:

Pinterest

Comment

Working...
                X