• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JudyAnn
    replied
    Re: Bow Tucks Bag help

Originally posted by bubba View Post
    I never thought of using that! I have double thick corrugated cardboard that came in a box from a TV we bought that I use, but I'm almost out of it. I do make sleeves for it to fit in and just fold the end over and tape it closed so it can be removed for washing. I have never put feet on mine, but my sister sews buttons on her for feet. I don't set my bags on the floor. The bottom of mine are all faux suede.
    Pat, I agree with you about setting them on the floor, I don't do that ever. The first person who ordered a tote from me asked for feet. Now I add them all the time because I like the look and I really like that the feet hang on to the bag bottom. So, I just ladder stitch the lining together at the bottom opening. Thank you again for all the advise.... I appreciate it very much.

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

I never thought of using that! I have double thick corrugated cardboard that came in a box from a TV we bought that I use, but I'm almost out of it. I do make sleeves for it to fit in and just fold the end over and tape it closed so it can be removed for washing. I have never put feet on mine, but my sister sews buttons on her for feet. I don't set my bags on the floor. The bottom of mine are all faux suede.

Leave a comment:

• JudyAnn
    replied

Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
    Great. It was good to see them next to each other. I like the larger size myself. Ok, last question for now. What do you use for the bottom. I am getting ready to order the pellon and figured I could add thatto my order as well. Do you use cardboard or plastic? Thanks much for the help
    I have found what I think is the perfect 'bag bottom'. It's called corrugated plastic (same design as you see in corrugated cardboard boxes. It's very firm, cuts great (with a rotary cutter) and when I attach feet to the totes, this plastic is easy to poke a hole through with the blade of my scissors. That way the bag bottom is secured too. Or you can just made a little pillow case for it. I bought it at Lowes for about ten dollars and that is enough for lots of totes.

Leave a comment:

• BeachLizard
    replied

Screenshot_2014-11-03-17-43-05.jpg

A screen shot of the pattern corrections for the pocket. I haven't seen the pattern and the instructions on this are about as clear as mud to me - but this is the only correction listed. If you can't see this I'll post in your visitor messages on your page.

Originally posted by Sharyn J View Post
    I've been admiring our forum member bubba's (Pat) bag patterns. Of course, we affectionately refer to her as our "bag lady." lol She probably thinks that I'm a stalker going into her albums constantly to see her wonderful bags.

I just got my order today from MSQ and my pattern. I have a couple questions:

1. The pattern suggests lightweight fusible batting. Will that give it enough body? I think I'd rather use something heavier, but not sure what.

2. I know that I saw somewhere that a correction had been made regarding the outside pocket, but for the life of me, I can't find it now. Maybe it was a suggestion on the forum to put the bottom of the pocket to the edge and enclose it with the bottom section?

I've made a ton of totes, but not many purse patterns. Any tips before I start cutting fabric will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by BeachLizard; November 3rd, 2014, 03:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gina
    replied

Did you do it the way they said or the way I suggested? I did it their way once and then changed the method I use.
    I did it their way. I just now learned of your way. I will be using your method for the next one I make. I would have had it finished by now, but I ran out of interfacing and kept forgetting to pick some up. To much eye candy in those shops! I finally picked some up while I was in WM tonight!

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

Originally posted by Gina View Post
    Hey ladies! Just wanted to say I am in the process of making my first bow tuck bag also! I had to read the instructions several times and then several more times. Kept getting hung up on the outside pocket. I finally got it figured out! I still have to make my straps then will be able to sew it all together! I really like the look of this bag!
    Did you do it the way they said or the way I suggested? I did it their way once and then changed the method I use.

Leave a comment:

• Gina
    replied

Hey ladies! Just wanted to say I am in the process of making my first bow tuck bag also! I had to read the instructions several times and then several more times. Kept getting hung up on the outside pocket. I finally got it figured out! I still have to make my straps then will be able to sew it all together! I really like the look of this bag!

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

It says how to do the pocket, but it's not real clear. Others have said the same thing. Hope it goes well for you!!

Leave a comment:

• jocropley
    replied

ok took some stash fabric and cut this out.. its not that hard once you start. I did find all the tips so helpful. I did run out of 987F . I am so hoping we have some in town. In the pattern it doesnt say anything about putting the front pocket on so this was a big help. I didnt quilt it.. cause I am making it more as a sample but will try that on the real one. I have never machine quilted before. Thank you all so much.

Leave a comment:

• Kgrammiecaz
    replied

Ok that is easy enough. We have great pieces at my job that i can cut before throwing out. Awesome. Free!!!

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

[QUOTE=Doloris;610997] Really not that much. Can you do a side by side of the professional tote sm and lg
    QUOTE]

No! I don't have a big one here, just a small one. The small one is about 2/3's the size I would guess. When I get the next big one sewn, I will try to remember to do a side by side of them.

For the inside bottom, I used in my a thick piece of plexi glass I had and rounded the corners on it. On the ones I sell, I have extra heavy cardboard that came in a TV box and I use that. If I don't have that, I tape together two pieces of cardboard and use that. You need to make a sleeve to put it in.

Leave a comment:

• Doloris
    replied

Yes Karen, there is a mini. I did carry the smaller one as a purse for a while, but I carried the bigger one as a purse for a long time!!! It is especially nice when traveling! You would be surprised just how much stuff you can get into it! There is a difference of a few inches, not that much. You can see here what it is -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89441[/ATTACH]
    I have the mini pattern and have made a few. Was wondering just how much bigger the reg. bow tucks was. I almost missed it in the picture. Really not that much. Can you do a side by side of the professional tote sm and lg

and Karen I just use plastic canvas and make a little pillow case for it to fit in, and then tuck it in the bottom of the purse.

Leave a comment:

• Kgrammiecaz
    replied

Yes Karen, there is a mini. I did carry the smaller one as a purse for a while, but I carried the bigger one as a purse for a long time!!! It is especially nice when traveling! You would be surprised just how much stuff you can get into it! There is a difference of a few inches, not that much. You can see here what it is -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89441[/ATTACH]
    Great. It was good to see them next to each other. I like the larger size myself. Ok, last question for now. What do you use for the bottom. I am getting ready to order the pellon and figured I could add thatto my order as well. Do you use cardboard or plastic? Thanks much for the help

Leave a comment:

• Dollyquilts
    replied

Just remember there is no internet in jail, and that is where I may be tomorrow!!!!!
    Ms. Pat, no worries there. We'll all be there with your bail money and we'll be picketing in front of the jail.

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
    My pattern is on its way to me. I am looking forward to making one. I see there is a mini bowtuckbut it does not seem to be that much difference in size.

Can the regular one be used as a day to day purse or only the mini for that?

image.jpg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X