Bow Tucks Bag help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow Tucks Bag help

I've been admiring our forum member bubba's (Pat) bag patterns. Of course, we affectionately refer to her as our "bag lady." lol She probably thinks that I'm a stalker going into her albums constantly to see her wonderful bags.

I just got my order today from MSQ and my pattern. I have a couple questions:

1. The pattern suggests lightweight fusible batting. Will that give it enough body? I think I'd rather use something heavier, but not sure what.

2. I know that I saw somewhere that a correction had been made regarding the outside pocket, but for the life of me, I can't find it now. Maybe it was a suggestion on the forum to put the bottom of the pocket to the edge and enclose it with the bottom section?

I've made a ton of totes, but not many purse patterns. Any tips before I start cutting fabric will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Bow Tucks Bag help

I used lightweight and was happy with the bag. There was a post a week or so ago where someone made a change in how they attached a pocket. Maybe do a search on "Bow Tuck" or if you're lucky that person will see this and tell you how she did it
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I've been admiring our forum member bubba's (Pat) bag patterns. Of course, we affectionately refer to her as our "bag lady." lol She probably thinks that I'm a stalker going into her albums constantly to see her wonderful bags. Color me flattered!!

I just got my order today from MSQ and my pattern. I have a couple questions: I bet I have your answers!

1. The pattern suggests lightweight fusible batting. Will that give it enough body? I think I'd rather use something heavier, but not sure what. I use Pellon 987F. You put a one layer of it on the outer fabric and one on the lining, so there is more than enough for padding and the body you want

2. I know that I saw somewhere that a correction had been made regarding the outside pocket, but for the life of me, I can't find it now. Maybe it was a suggestion on the forum to put the bottom of the pocket to the edge and enclose it with the bottom section? This was me too!!! When I do these bags, I do not like how they tell you to do the front outside pocket. I iron the top outer piece to the batting (don't sew the lower section on yet) and fmq it. I then assemble the pocket and fmq it. Then I center the pocket on the center of the bag along the seam line and stitch the sides down. Now I add the bag bottom, sewing it first and then ironing it down. I do the back of the bag the same way, minus the pocket. The reason I quilt it before adding the bottom is because I use faux suede for the bottoms and I don't quilt on it. It's personal preference, so you will have to decide what you like.

I've made a ton of totes, but not many purse patterns. Any tips before I start cutting fabric will be greatly appreciated.

Send me a message if you have further questions and I'll try to help you. I tried to take pix of the last one I made as I went along but they would not post here. I finally figured out the problem, but will have to wait till I make the next bag to do more pictures.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Oh, Pat, thank you so much for the tips. I'm sure you just saved me a lot of hassle. I hate when I put something together and then wish I had used other materials. I'll make a trip out tomorrow for the Pellon.

I think your method for the pocket is much better than the pattern and I just happen to have a piece of faux suede laying around. (Maybe I'll even find it! haha)

I shouldn't have any problem sewing the bag, but I'll be sure to seek your help if needed. Thanks again!
        Sharyn

Comment

You are more than welcome. I also use the faux suede on the outer pocket. Sometimes I use a flange of the lining between the suede and the pocket (along the seam line) for an extra punch...depends on my mood. I buy that pellon by the bolt w/my 40% coupon from Joanns. With the number of totes I make, it's well worth it. That is also how I buy my faux suede, two yards at a time (it's 60" wide) from the upholstery section there.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

oh I wish there was a tutorial on this I just got the pattern .. I am stumped right out of the gate. Where it says to sew the pocket on the 7" side . do yo sew both sides ?. I tough I knew how to sew and read this it was like What ??… I think maybe I will use some fabric and make a sample one . Ok its more coffee and reread the pattern..
            Jenny need to do a tutorial on this .
            Last edited by jocropley; October 12th, 2014, 10:43 AM.

Comment

The longer measurement will be the width of the pocket. The lining measurement for the pocket is longer because it also serves as the accent on the top of the pocket. Once the lining is joined to the pocket, you turn it right sides together and stitch each side seam.

Don't overthink this pattern. Have another cup of coffee! Maybe this video will give you a visual. I have modified my application for the pocket, as Pat suggested above and it works well sewing the bottom over the raw bottom edges of the pocket. The link shows the pattern as written.

Ladybugs! | Just Enough Time
              Last edited by Sharyn J; October 12th, 2014, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Once you have sewn the lining to the pocket and then sewn down both sides of the pocket, turn it right sides out....quilt it if desired. If you have chosen to do the pocket setting the way I suggested, you will now center the pocket onto the front of the bag which should be ironed onto the 987F and quilted (the bag bottom should not be attached yet). Once you have the pocket centered, stitch up and then back down both sides of the pocket. Now, take the bag bottom and sew it to the lower edge of the bag front/pocket pieces. Iron the bag bottom down onto the 987F and you should have a nicely set in pocket.
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

Thank you… your so right WAY over thinking this .. seems I lost my mojo and just need to "do it".. thanks again.

Comment

**...sonic feverishly scribbles notes and bookmarks page.....**

Count me as another who bought this pattern after seeing the lovely bags here and thanks you for the info and tips!
                    I'm totally scared to try it yet (only have one quilt top under my belt so far) but I'm hoping by the time it's too cold to do much outside and I'm going stir crazy, I'll muster up the courage.
                    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....:icon_noob:

Comment

Dear Pat, AKA "Ms. Bags-R-Me", LOL, you know for us "visual" learners (hand raised here) not only am I very intimidated by doing a bag of any kind, but I suck at reading patterns. Hence the "visual (extremely)" interjection. Would you consider doing a tut m'dear? I have admired your exceptional work from afar, and would love to just get ONE pattern under my belt and comfy with, and let the fabric choices make them different. Please, please, please?
                      What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Comment

I second that!!!
                        Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....:icon_noob:

Comment

This is a very easy pattern to follow! Don't let it scare you! The first one I made took me six hours....now I whip them out in about two. I normally do two or three at the same time. Last time I did three, it took me four hours for all of them. Let me know if you need any help. I can make these in my sleep!
                          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                            This is a very easy pattern to follow! Don't let it scare you! The first one I made took me six hours....now I whip them out in about two. I normally do two or three at the same time. Last time I did three, it took me four hours for all of them. Let me know if you need any help. I can make these in my sleep!
                            OHHHHH girl, you have SEWWWWW stepped in it. LOL! Ok, I'll give it a whirl...................and I'll gladly accept your help!
                            What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Comment

Don't let her (bubba) fool you! This woman actually makes 100 at a time while blindfolded!

Comment

Working...
                              X