Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Cardinals Daily Deal topic of the day..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Cardinals Daily Deal topic of the day..

My husband and I woke up last year to the continuous tapping at our bathroom window. Much to our surprise it was a female cardinal. This went on for several weeks. This year she is again at it only battling the utility room window. We had no idea why she would be attacking the window. Thanks to the topic of the day today, we now know! She is thinking she is someone else and is fending off a potential rival. Wow the animal kingdom is amazing...but sometimes not very smart. I mean...weeks of hitting her own beak at a glass window...come on now!
    GlendaSue
    I hope to outlive my stash.

Re: Red Cardinals Daily Deal topic of the day..

GlendaSue - I live in a house with 32 HUGE 4x8 foot windows. I've been here 9 years now and this year is the first year the Cardinals have been attacking us. And they have been doing it for the last six weeks at least. I didn't realize how aggressive they were even though we've had a lot of them around in past years. They start here before the sun shines in the morning and absolutely drive me up the wall. A week ago one of my grand-daughters came over and helped me wash windows to remove the bird droppings because they literally knock it out of themselves when they hit the windows. You are so right - they are NOT very smart.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I haven't had a problem with cardinals yet.But when we were living in Cuba there was a huge wooodpecker that flew into our bedroom window every day just after dawn. Scared the daylights out of me the first time. My DH told me that the bird was seeing himself in the coating on the window and was attacking the stranger. Thank goodness it only lasted a few weeks. Maybe woodpeckers are smarter than cardinals.
      Hola from sunny Mexico, Cheryl:icon_wave:

Comment

i have never seen a cardinal, except in photographs. They dont sound very bright. This spring i have had wrens nesting in my wisteria. i have been delighted because wrens are getting quite scarce and are such tiny little birds that i am totally amazed at the amount of wren poop i have had down my window! i cant complain though because i plant my garden for the insects, particularly the bees which are also threatened. This brings the birds so i am feeling a leeeeetle smug. Boris (big cat) is however not so smug. He has stared at the wren nest for weeks but the young wisteria won't hold his weight. He has given us a running comentary about this since they layed. Over the weekend they fledged and i can't say i am sorry......although Boris still believes they must be in there so is still commenting.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh PS..... i got past my mental block about my quilt.... we are up and running again
        Blog
        http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I do think they have a good trait tho. They seem to take care of each other..or rather the male takes good care of his mate. I have seen them find food, call out to the female and then very gently tell her to eat ...almost putting the food particle in her beak.
          Was using this on hubby...but darn it all...he wouldn't fall for it. Told me if I was hungry to go in the kitchen and eat. HE WAS NOT GOING TO FEED ME! AND the only reason the male cardinal did it was so she could get back to the nest and finish HER job...hatching the eggs for HIS off spring. I prefer my version to his...more romantic!
          GlendaSue
          I hope to outlive my stash.

Comment

We have a cute cardinal "couple" living somewhere near us and see them all the time. They have not bothered us or other birds that we have noticed. I just love seeing these beautiful red birds and I am totally creeped out by birds. Today we also had little yellow canaries and a little red canary also.
            Patti
            "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

The mocking birds do that at our house. They also bump into the windows of our cars in the drive. They just bump into the large windows not the regular size ones. If I close the drapes they will stop sometimes. My husband has a owl that is not real and sometimes I put that at the window to try and stop them. It does but not for long. I guess they see themselves in the window but why now? Haven't ever seen them do it before now.
              Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

We have cardinals, but they just sit on the fence or the trees - nothing like the little dive bombers you all have reported.

Oh - and Sandy, I am totally jealous of a house with 32 windows - you must just bask in the sunlight no matter what room you are in! Of course I would not be feeling so jealous when it came time to clean them all!

Comment

Originally posted by tamsterg7 View Post
                  Oh - and Sandy, I am totally jealous of a house with 32 windows - you must just bask in the sunlight no matter what room you are in! Of course I would not be feeling so jealous when it came time to clean them all!
                  You are close enough to come visit. The views to the east are spectacular!!!! You can't tell, from the front of the house, that I have all those windows either.
                  Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                  it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Working...
                  X