Thread!!!!! What to use and when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread!!!!! What to use and when?

Good morning my new friends I am a newbie quilter/sewer and am so confused about the right brand of thread to use. When I bought my new H/V Sapphire I was told NEVER to use Coats and Clarks, and only to use a better quality thread like Mettler (sp) and Gutermann...however; there are a lot of "different' types of threads in each of these manufacturers...how do I know what I can use, and shouldn't use? Like, for quilting and cottons, do I use only quilting thread, or can I use all purpose sewing thread? Can I use the pretty embroidery threads on my cottons when I use my accessories stitches on my machine? If so, is it okay to use polyester, rayon, etc? So confused in Georgia! Thanks ladies!

Re: Thread!!!!! What to use and when?

Great questions! I look forward to hearing what others have to say, because all the variety of thread is confusing. I have always used Coats and Clarks for piecing and general sewing, and a heavier machine quilting thread for the quilting I do. But that is as much as I know!
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Im in Georgia too! I was told never to use coats and clark as well. they said thats what keeps their service dept in business. I use Guttermann. I use Mettler and Robison Anton for embroidery. I have used mettler embroidery thread for quilting with no problems but most of the time will use cotton guttermann. I think you will hear a variety on hear. it will basically boil down to what your machine likes
      Patrice

Comment

here is one website: http://quiltbug.com/articles/thread-theory.htm; http://www.quilthowto.com/All_About_..._Quilting.html
        http://www.quilting101.com/tools/thread.html

Comment

I have a Viking Sapphire. What I generally use is a Gutterman natural cotton thread for piecing and for quilting I generally use Sulky threads (the kind that comes on a the large cone) or Sulky Blendables.

I'm looking into this thread I've heard was amazing for piecing: Connecting Threads Essential Cotton. You get a lot on a cone for $9.99. They also offer poly thread for quilting and I'd imagine it is similar to the Sulky embroidery threads.

Coats and Clark is not a great quality thread. From my experience it breaks quite often and has TONS of lint when you use their machine quilting thread.

If you are gonna put all this time and money into a quilt it doesn't hurt to spend $2-3 more on a good cone of thread. Your machine will be happier and your quilts will last longer.
          Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
          Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
          Pinterest

Comment

i've always used coats and clark with no problems. the only time I use a different brand is when i have the emb. unit on it. I also use serger thread for sewing. Have for years with no bad results. Except for an issue with the emb. unit, the only thing i've ever needed done is the occasional cleaning. Between my DDs and myself, the machines rarely get a day off.
            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Thanks so much for the advice! LOVE that website for the threads! What I want to know as well, can I use those "rayon" or "poly" threads for my embroidery stitches on H/V Sapphire 855 as my "quilting" or would it be best to stick with a cotton thread? I've been using only Gutermann right now, because I can get it more easily at Hancock Fabrics...going to try ordering from the Connecting Threads website my next go around

Comment

Here's a youtube video on thread that might be helpful. She doesn't address what brands of thread to use but more so the different types. I found it interesting: http://www.youtube.com/user/CrazySho.../1/e8SF-6kZTX8
                When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I have a Bernina 430 and according to the quilt shop where I bought it, Coats and Clark is the worst to use in the new high tech machines. I have found that Gutermann is very linty and causes me to clean the machine every day. So far either Metler silk finish or Superior thread [purchased from Connecting Threads] is the best for my machine. I now use all my leftover Coats and Clark thread for my hand sewing like the binding.
                  Susan

Comment

I was told the same thing about Coats and Clark by the lady where I bought my machine. I have used Essential Threads from Connecting Threads. It gives off some lint but not horribly. It's higher priced, but I love Aurifil thread and a spool goes a long way to me and doesn't break unless I don't thread my machine correctly. Another place you might check is Red Rock Threads, they sell several brands and have the cones in some brands.
                    Shelia

Comment

As someone who does a lot of sewing, I don't think you can go past Aurifil thread, it's clean (little lint) and strong and a pleasure to sew with. I also use Gutterman as it is what I have a lot of from when I started and it would be my second choice but it does have a little more lint than the Aurifil.

As to your other question on the rayon thread, yes by all means use it with your decorative stitches, it adds a lovely sheen to your work if that is what you are looking for and is perfectly fine on a quilt. I use both rayon and metallic threads in my decorative work and applique. The rayon is lovely to do satin stitch with on applique. Metallic is a bit more difficult to work with but with the correct needle and a little patience and sewing a bit slower it is fine and looks beautiful.
                      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                        As someone who does a lot of sewing, I don't think you can go past Aurifil thread, it's clean (little lint) and strong and a pleasure to sew with. I also use Gutterman as it is what I have a lot of from when I started and it would be my second choice but it does have a little more lint than the Aurifil.

As to your other question on the rayon thread, yes by all means use it with your decorative stitches, it adds a lovely sheen to your work if that is what you are looking for and is perfectly fine on a quilt. I use both rayon and metallic threads in my decorative work and applique. The rayon is lovely to do satin stitch with on applique. Metallic is a bit more difficult to work with but with the correct needle and a little patience and sewing a bit slower it is fine and looks beautiful.
                        I second the rayon threads! They add a nice brightness to applique and quilting. I haven't used Aurafil but I've heard nice things about it and King Tut.
                        Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
                        Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
                        Pinterest

Comment

Working...
                        X