close call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

close call

this afternoon I was sewing the last side of the last border on a top and ran out of bobbin thread. My new machine tells me when I am running out of thread and it didn't stop sewing and tell me this time.
    I decided it was time to clean out the bobbin area. Been going to do that last 3 bobbin changes.
    This machine has a 2 piece plate. One just slides on and the other half has the screws, I got it apart and cleaned, what a mess, and back together. When I tried to sew the thread was bunching and it was clicking, so I took it back apart and started over.
    As I was taking the screws out I placed them in front of the machine and reached over to take the plate off. one of the screws stuck to my thumb and fell-------IN THE MACHINE!!!!!!!!
    I couldn't even see down in there with all the stuff down there. Thread cutters, thread sensors, etc. I tried picking it up and shaking, but that didn't help. Now I am starting to panic. LQS is about 25 miles away, and don't want to have to go there. Didn't want to mess up a $3500 machine.
    Well I was able to take apart a couple pieces under the needle plate to reveal what's under there. Shake the machine again. Nothing. Tip it the other way and shake. Nothing. Set it back down on the table and regroup to decide what to do.
    Took a deep breath and looked down and laying in the spot for the bobbin holder is the screw. Have no idea how it popped up there and just stayed, but I said a little prayer of thanks, put it all back together and it is happily sewing again.
    Scared the heck out of me. From now on the screws go on the magnetic pin cushion.
    Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Re: close call

I JUST did this very same thing on Tuesday!! LOL! Talk about panic! Called the shop and they told me how to take the bottom off and there it was just sitting there. What a coinkydink!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyI View Post
      I JUST did this very same thing on Tuesday!! LOL! Talk about panic! Called the shop and they told me how to take the bottom off and there it was just sitting there. What a coinkydink!
      I took the bottom off that part of the machine, but there is so much stuff in there it didn't fall out. At least now I know what my machine looks like and how to get it apart enough to give it a really good cleaning.
      Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

I keep a magnetic cup from Harbor Freight to put screws and small metal parts in when cleaning out the bobbin area. I also use it when changing feet. It sits on a cabinet behind my sewing chair until I need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattycake View Post
          I keep a magnetic cup from Harbor Freight to put screws and small metal parts in when cleaning out the bobbin area. I also use it when changing feet. It sits on a cabinet behind my sewing chair until I need it.
          Just keep that magnetic bowl away from your computerized sewing machine!!!!!!

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

Phew!! Sounds like something I would do.

Comment

Working...
            X